PDA

View Full Version : If you've installed a RO/DI...

Moloch
01-29-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm looking at picking up a RO/DI system but the only thing I want to figure out is what is the best way to drill through a stainless steel sink to add the faucet? I've read various methods online but what has worked for you?? Thanks

BigAir
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I used a good quality hole saw, and set the drill to low speed. Trick is to keep steady even pressure and low rpm. If stainless gets hot, it will get super hard. A squirt of WD40, or some motor oil will help keep the saw from galling the metal.

Moloch
01-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks bigair.

pk-sd
01-29-2007, 04:05 PM
I do not remember how I did it. But I do remember it was fairly easy and all I used was standard dewalt drill bits with a cordless drill.

july865
01-30-2007, 09:57 AM
no hole saw!!!... its only 1/2"... piece of cake.. good idea on the lube

FishBulb
01-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I've done it a few times now. I only needed a 1/2" inch bit for the faucets and didn't need a hole saw. What I learned though is this. There are two type of drill bits. The cheaper ones made for wood and the more expensive ones made for metal. Buy a decent one made to go through metal. We had a heck of a time drilling Retzius's sink with the cheap bit that we bought at Lowes. The sink tore the bit to pieces. With a decent bit it's a piece of cake. Better yet, start with a very small bit first as a pilot hole. That will prevent slipping from the 1/2" bit.
FB

FishBulb
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Also, for people living in an apartment, HD sells these small metal plugs that fit nicely into the 1/2" hole and will look pretty good. That way I can mount it on my sink and will plug the hole when I move out. Of course, some land lords may notice and care, but others will probably think it was always there. Just an option if you are considering this on rented property.
FB

Moloch
01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Awesome, this sounds like it will be easy.

Can the pressure tanks for storing water be mounted horizontally rather than vertically?

vinny73
01-31-2007, 04:35 PM
They need to be stored vertically.

july865
02-01-2007, 10:14 AM
havent tried it. but its just a bladder on the inside. i would ASSUME it would work on its side. i cant think of a reason why it wouldnt. i have mine in our laundry room standing up.
fishbulb would be the final say on the matter. he is our resident ro/di expert.

FishBulb
02-01-2007, 10:37 AM
I would have also assumed it would be fine on it's side for the same reasons. I've just never tried it. I'll try it tonight and let you guys know how it goes. Vinny, do you have a reason to believe this is not a good idea?
FB

Moloch
02-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Any luck FB?

I can't seem to find anything either way about tank position. I'll have to try to make some phone calls next week.

Moloch
02-03-2007, 06:56 AM
According to Water General their unit can be placed either horizontally or vertically: (Just over half way down)

http://www.watergeneral.com/support/html/RD100.htm

FishBulb
02-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I tried it and it seemed to work fine. I didn't actually empty the entire holding tank but it seemed to have no effect for the couple glasses I able to fill. I also found a webpage or two that said it could be laid down horizontally to save space. I would go for it. They do also sell smaller tanks if you really needed it, but I think you will be fine.
FB