PDA

View Full Version : Any free linux versions out there that...

SolRo
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM
are easy to use/install (REALY easy to use, this is for a person that messes up their windows box monthly) and works with firefox.

Also, an AIM clone that has the fancy graphics and toys of AIM (no clue what those are), I know AOL has put out a linux aim client, but it looks like it belongs in windows 3x.

Word compatible word processor....openoffice any good?

Failing that...any good guides for securing a windows XP computer against a neglegent websurfing teenager that downloads everything that's able to be downloaded? Yes, i had an anti virus, anti spyware, and firewall installed on that box.

tilapia
01-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Ubuntu. Fedora.

jharr
01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I have Xubuntu on a couple of laptops. It is pretty user friendly aside from getting the wireless card configured. There are ways around that though. I highly recommend it (and all the Ubuntu family).

GAIM will take care of your IM'ing neds, and OpenOffice will do your word processing. LINUX is miles ahead of where it was say 5 yrs ago. I think everyone should stick it to Gates and move over to opensource.

J--

Elanglio
01-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Ubuntu is pretty fool-proof to install and use, even comes with trillian which has msn, yahoo, icq, and aim all in one.

Open office is ok, I still prefer MS Office.

As far as tuning your XP box, just create a limited account with no administrative abbilities and put a password on the admin account. That way, the teenager can still browse the web, but still be denied the ability to install anything.

GL with the work.

SolRo
01-28-2007, 03:11 PM
thanks for the tips