PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Switch

pk-sd
01-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Looking for a cheap but good quality 3x1 HDMI switch. Anyone purchased one lately?

crstjohn
01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
I guess if I have to ask WTH an HDMI switch is, chances are I don't have one:)

pk-sd
01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
It a switch to connect multiple High-Def devices to one TV. In my case I need to connect my DVD player and a satellite receiver to a TV that has only one HDMI input.

crstjohn
01-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Ohhhhhhhh, a hi-def multiple interface switch. I should have known.

MrKrispy
01-22-2007, 09:59 PM
check out monoprice.com, great HDMI switchers for very cheap.

pk-sd
01-23-2007, 07:43 AM

Yes they are cheap. Have you used one from them? They must be good as they have been sold for few weeks now. I am on their waiting list.

Genaroleon
01-23-2007, 07:46 AM

I second monoprice.com

Great prices on great quality cables, wires, switches etc

Genaroleon
01-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Yes they are cheap. Have you used one from them? They must be good as they have been sold for few weeks now. I am on their waiting list.

check out the avs forums http://www.avsforum.com/
the guys over there are SERIOUS audio visual freaks - and I do not mean that in a negative way. Monoprice is recommended over there as well. These are guys that have 50K+ entertainment systems

pk-sd
01-23-2007, 08:46 AM
check out the avs forums http://www.avsforum.com/
the guys over there are SERIOUS audio visual freaks - and I do not mean that in a negative way. Monoprice is recommended over there as well. These are guys that have 50K+ entertainment systems

Thanks.

3U36
01-24-2007, 08:38 AM
...or buy a new TV with more ports.
You know you want to. ;) :p

pk-sd
01-24-2007, 08:59 AM
...or buy a new TV with more ports.
You know you want to. ;) :p

But I will still have to run 3 lines behind the wall. I am planning on moving this current TV to my bedroom and getting a new 1080p set. But I will still use the switch to avoid running more wires.

Retzius
01-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Oh my goodness, I just got a TV and will need an HDMI cable. The price on those is rediculous. I know a monster HDMI costs around 80-90 bucks. Do those cheap ones work just as well? Anyone have them or running them. If so, I need to order some.

Genaroleon
01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Oh my goodness, I just got a TV and will need an HDMI cable. The price on those is rediculous. I know a monster HDMI costs around 80-90 bucks. Do those cheap ones work just as well? Anyone have them or running them. If so, I need to order some.

monoprice.com

I buy just about all my cables from there. They are extreemly cheap in price... but not cheap cables. See my earlier post about the avs forums. Guys with $50k+ entertainment systems use the same cables.

spending money on monstercables is pointless...

Edit bluejeanscable.com is also good. Even with shipping your spending less as compared to your local B&M store

MrKrispy
01-24-2007, 10:47 AM
HDMI is digital.....the cheap HDMI cables from Monoprice will give you just as good of signal as the overpriced ones from Monster. The only time to worry about a higher priced HDMI cable is on a long run...i think >40 feet (might be 25'). Then you should go with a higher gauge cable I believe...

pk-sd
01-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Yes monoprice.com looks good. I purchased mine from http://www.cablestop.com/. Also very good deal. Paid $5 shipping, got my cable the next day from LA. Very happy with the cables quality.

Retzius
01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Ok thanks guys,

I just ordered two 3ft cables.
Just so you know, I just bought a Pioneer 50" plasma. Its the 5070 model.
I should get it friday and cant wait.

I am certain those monster cables are overpriced. Thank goodness I did not buy those expensive cables.

Just in time for the superbowl (although I am not into football) but I do watch soccer and basketball.

MrKrispy
01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
congrats... you gotta check out HDnet and InHD, stuff looks amazing.

Retzius
01-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks,

I am not sure what HDnet and InHD are, are those websites or channels?

pk-sd
01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Thanks,

I am not sure what HDnet and InHD are, are those websites or channels?

Those are channels. How do you plan on getting your HD programming? I recommend Dish Network. At this time they have 26 HD channels.

Retzius
01-24-2007, 02:08 PM
To tell you the truth, I havent begun researching this. I was going to call cox and ask them how many HD channels they had as well as price.

Right now I have basic channels but I get about 70 of them b/c the condo is wired off of someone else's cable.

How much is Dish network/month, average?

pk-sd
01-24-2007, 02:56 PM
To tell you the truth, I havent begun researching this. I was going to call cox and ask them how many HD channels they had as well as price.

Right now I have basic channels but I get about 70 of them b/c the condo is wired off of someone else's cable.

How much is Dish network/month, average?

They have package starting at $49 for some 80 standard and 26 high-def channels.

These are the HD channels:
Animania HD
Family Room HD
GamePlay HD
Discovery HD Theater
Equator HD
DISH Network PPV in HD
Film Fest HD
Food Network HD
HDNet Movies
Kung Fu HD
Monsters HD
World Cinema HD
HDNews
Rave HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
NFL Network HD
Rush HD
WorldSport HD
Gallery HD
HDNet
HGTV HD
TNT HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD
Universal HD

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/programming/pricingandpackages/bronze/index.shtml

Retzius
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Wow, they are cheap. Looks like I may go with them.

Genaroleon
01-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Wow, they are cheap. Looks like I may go with them.

You should also look at having your set Calibrated. Its pretty expensive (around $450), but worth it.

Here is a link to a guy that is recommended in the AVS forums. One guy is not local, the other is in LA. They both travel all over the US calibrating home entertainment systems. Both are highly sought after for their services

The average JOE probably wont ever have their sets calibrated, or even know what it is. Is it needed?? Definately not. Is it worth it... YES!
http://www.avical.com/

Retzius
01-25-2007, 07:49 AM
For calibration, I was just going to use the AVS forums calibration recommendations. Now why would hiring this person who knows how to calibrate be better?

Is it because he will maximize my plasma's resolution, color, etc. to look its best?

Genaroleon
01-25-2007, 08:15 AM
For calibration, I was just going to use the AVS forums calibration recommendations. Now why would hiring this person who knows how to calibrate be better?

Is it because he will maximize my plasma's resolution, color, etc. to look its best?

I used that also at first... Just the basic "USER" menu. I then purchased DVE to tweak the settings a little more. It made a nice diffence in how the set looked.. BUT thats all user level.. is not SERVICE menu level. The service menu is 100x more complicated and will have more fine tune settings that cannot be accessed in the user menu. Just try searching out the service menu code for your tv set (the AVS guys can help with that, this is where I got my code)... and just LOOK ... dont change anything in there... but just look... you will see what i mean.

Yes, professional calibration will bring out the BEST your set can produce. All tv's are set to a basic factory standard. If all these sets were calibrated at the factory.. you can expect to pay hundreds if not thousands more. It takes a Calibration Tech about 4.5+ hours to do 1 set. Can you immagine this type of detail on an assembly line :D

Just ask about David when your checking out the other forums. You will not see anything negative (other than maybe a complaint about having to wait for his services haha). Or if you even have more questions about calibration, the guys over there will explain it to you so much better than I ever could. Keep in mind that they eat sleep and breath this stuff.

Retzius
01-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Just for my reference and in your opinion, could you rate the difference on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being huge difference) how much better a calibrated TV will look opposed to a standard factory one.

I just want to see how significant the difference is, and if is worth the 500 bucks. If I did decide on calibrating it would be until I saved some bucks b/c the calibration is not cheap.

I will check out avs forums:) Thanks

Genaroleon
01-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Just for my reference and in your opinion, could you rate the difference on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being huge difference) how much better a calibrated TV will look opposed to a standard factory one.

I just want to see how significant the difference is, and if is worth the 500 bucks. If I did decide on calibrating it would be until I saved some bucks b/c the calibration is not cheap.

I will check out avs forums:) Thanks

Thats a good qustion. I do not have a plasma... but I had my DLP (Samsung HLS-6188W) calibrated and would say that on your number scale it would be a 7 or 8 improvement.

Yes its expensive. It took me a while to get mine done, and had even talked myself out of it a couple of times. Im glad that I went through with it though. The colors are more true, crisp, clean, a much finer picture. All your inputs will be individually calibrated to their optimum.. so all your bases are covered.

dont get me wrong.. you are pefrectly fine without it. The user adjustments along with using DVE (Digital Video Essentials), AVIA or some other basic self calibration dvd are fine. But if the funds permit... Calibrate :D

Retzius
01-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Thats a good qustion. I do not have a plasma... but I had my DLP (Samsung HLS-6188W) calibrated and would say that on your number scale it would be a 7 or 8 improvement.

Yes its expensive. It took me a while to get mine done, and had even talked myself out of it a couple of times. Im glad that I went through with it though. The colors are more true, crisp, clean, a much finer picture. All your inputs will be individually calibrated to their optimum.. so all your bases are covered.

dont get me wrong.. you are pefrectly fine without it. The user adjustments along with using DVE (Digital Video Essentials), AVIA or some other basic self calibration dvd are fine. But if the funds permit... Calibrate :D

cool, thanks. Looks like it is worthwhile. I will look into doing, but not after a while.