View Full Version : Home Brewers

mojoreason
01-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Okay - in case you missed this ...

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/for/264295150.html

it's only $2000 - - but seriously, he has 2 tanks of propane in that photo

Phischy
01-18-2007, 09:17 AM
It's been posted for awhile, looks to be a nice setup, but while I home brew..spending an entire saturday or sunday making a ton. Although if you had a few good recipies and lots of demand...

mojoreason
01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah ... it's been up there alright. The price isn't really a steal either but it would be pretty damn cool to whip up 10 gallons of bad ass brew.

But then again - if you're like me when you brew - sometimes you get a carboy of some stuff you'd rather not swill a carboy full. My buddy wants to make that recipe that calls for a whole uncooked chicken. ***?!?!? :confused:

If you could do a few kegs - and had a friend partner up with you ... you could keep a fridge kegerator well stocked at both of your houses for next to nothing. The only thing I'd be worried about is that law about how many gallons of beer you can make a year! ;)

And I just looked it up on the ever trusty :D Wikipedia - - and found the ONLY place the UK has us beat:

"Most states permit homebrewing, allowing 100 gallons of beer per person over the age of 21 per household, up to a maximum of 200 gallons per year. Because alcohol is taxed by the federal governments via excise taxes, homebrewers are restricted from selling any beer they brew. This similarly applies in most Western countries.

In the United Kingdom one may produce an unlimited quantity of fermented beverages. They are not however permitted to distill or sell their products."

Phischy
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
What kind of rancid beer calls for an uncooked chicken? I've never even heard of that! And how the hell do you get a whole chicken into a carboy? The opening is like 1.5" DIA. Then again, I don't know how the can get a pear into a vodka bottle either.

But a chicken?!

100 gallons per person? That's 20 batches, and you better have friends over if you figure a batch of home brew on average uses about 7lbs of malt sugar, that's 140lbs of sugar alone! Talk about being a fatass.

I just don't have the time to spend 8hrs making beer...

mojoreason
01-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah - it's some old recipe and I have it in two different books of mine. He has a completely different book and I don't think it would be done in a carboy - - but goddamn does it just sound putrid.

And I've wasted more time on less ;)