PDA

View Full Version : Should we open a new Freshwater Forum?

Dakota
01-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Since I'm delving into the high tech world of Freshwater, I was wondering if we have anyone else out there who has a freshwater setup as well. That way, I can have reason to look into opening up another forum for FW. :D

victortrav
01-16-2007, 10:17 AM
definitely go fresh water ive got a 240 african tank

cagirly2006
01-16-2007, 10:21 AM
i have a 90 African cichlid. i'd be interested in that!! DO IT!! :)

lth03
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Doesn't that fresh water stuff go to NONE-REEF section?

Dakota
01-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Doesn't that fresh water stuff go to NONE-REEF section?

for now, it probably has, but the "lounge" to me is more of a "non-FISH" forum to discuss everything else. I say we could greatly benefit from a fw forum (hence my posting of this poll :) )

jharr
01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
As pluralistic as our society has become, haw can we NOT have a FW forum??

Dakota
01-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm EXTREMELY curious as to why, so far, 7 people have stated they do NOT wish a forum. . .

da6d2003
01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I voted yes why not?

I think it would be nice to have a seperate livestock threads though.

coral diver
01-16-2007, 05:45 PM
I have notting agains a fresh water forum since i started with a fw ( koi ) and i bet alot of us started the same way too.

ocean1
01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Nothing against however..... how will that ever happen if the TOTM is STILL from May lol and Brillinat Reef is still being adverstised at the sponser page.The poll for many months was a charger vs raider one. lawls updating is a non priority I thinks. Theres Fishforums.com and tons others for freshies already up. Dont hold your breath on here. Priority should be to update what we have. Brilliant reef is gone TOTM just remove it for god sake lol it is nice to see a new poll though =)

Fishaholic
01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Heck Yeah!!!

I say YES!!

I have a grip of FW tanks and I also breed African Cichlids, will soon (2 wks) have a 450g breeder set-up in the garage, right now I use 8 tanks but soon..... only 1 water change ..... seems like a dream :D

anybody who don't want a FW forum also is crazy!!

P.S. anybody who wants some killer deals on African Cichlids LMK (special SDREEFS discounts ;))

rudy
01-16-2007, 06:22 PM
My kids(I) have a FW tank,(molly babies are good fish food:D ) and while I have no interest in having any more FW fish, I have no reason to not vote yes to a FW forum. Go for it!!!!

pk-sd
01-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Yes we should. I have asked for it before.:)

cagirly2006
01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
yeah for the people who are saying no, they most likely dont have a FW and will have no interest in the FW forum, so why should they care i there not going to use it if one is made?

Fishaholic
01-16-2007, 06:40 PM
they proabily think that there is no skill involved in FW like there is in SW.

I will say that FW is easier than SW but you can have a realistic natural environment that will make the fish thrive, that takes some skill . . . . . or you can have a Betta in a 3 cup bowl that gets a water change once every 6mo. lol

with FW fish there is more husbandry involved. More care needs to be taken for the indiviuals needs and specific water perams, and enviromental needs

you can't just toss a guppy in with a cichid and wounder "where did the guppy go?"

EsCo.'.ReEfeR
01-16-2007, 06:50 PM
hey fishaholic do u sell dwarf cichlids 2?

pk-sd
01-16-2007, 07:07 PM
People that do not respect FW tanks have not seen or maintained FW tanks like these:

http://www.adgshop.com/EasyEditor/assets/home-page-iwagumi.jpg

pk-sd
01-16-2007, 07:09 PM
And another one:

http://fish.mongabay.com/images/bigtank.jpg

CNCreefer
01-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I have a planted freshwater setup. Looks like a little slice of south american river. I have enough equipment for 3 other freshwater setups.
I started out in FW a long time ago before I started my reef tank, which initially was an african cichlid tank. A FW forum would be great because like myself, most people here probably started out with FW, and some still have FW tanks.
FW can be tricky. Try keeping discus or breeding cardinal tetras. Discus need really soft water and it can be harder to maintain the right parameters than it is to maintain a SW tank.
So yes, lets have a FW forum.
PK-SD, is that your tank? I love the school of cardinal tetras swimming among the grass.

pk-sd
01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Last one:

http://www.aquariumkreativ.de/ada_gallery.htm

Fishaholic
01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
yeah I have some dwarfs like Maingaos, Chisamulaes, Rustys, they all stay under 3-4" max. All the others get to be about 5-7" max Peacocks and others

DaveMorris
01-16-2007, 07:48 PM
I noticed none of the "no" votes posted a message in this thread. Hmmmmm I think that speaks for itself.

Meanwhile, here is my FW tank 1 month old. 75g with minor CO2 via yeast reactor, because I don't have the cash for CO2 yet.

Doorag
01-16-2007, 08:36 PM
we should also start a thread on ocean conservation

SolRo
01-16-2007, 08:39 PM
how about just a non-reef pet section?

so there wont be a need to add a FW section and then maybe a reptile section, and a bird section, etc etc.

Chanas4
01-16-2007, 08:49 PM
I have had freshwater for 24 years. bred and sold for years when we were poor and newly married to support my freshwater habit.

pk-sd
01-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Nice tank Dave.

ALIFER
01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
People that do not respect FW tanks have not seen or maintained FW tanks like these:

FW Planted tanks are harder to keep than reef tanks IMO

SolRo
01-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Now that's not true. I didnt need $100 worth of test kits, and another $50 in additives, to keep my planted FW tank healthy and thriving.

Poacher
01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow, they make those plastic plants look so real nowadays. :D J/K. It makes me want to start a south american biotype tank.

I say start the forum cause their could be good deals on equipment for reefs :D

pk-sd
01-16-2007, 09:44 PM

I agree. I just could not keep up with the growth. I was spending minimum 2 hours a week just trimming the plants. That is on top of weekly water changes and other maintenance.

pk-sd
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Now that's not true. I didnt need $100 worth of test kits, and another $50 in additives, to keep my planted FW tank healthy and thriving.

You need just about the same for planted tanks. Maybe tiny bit less.

vinny73
01-19-2007, 12:25 PM
FW is a great idea for"SDREEFS" why not start your own website called SDFRESHWATER? I say no. It contradicts the whole purpose of this website. I have nothing against fw or those who keep them. I just think it doesn't belong here. Does a goldfish belong in a saltwater tank? No. So a freshwater forum doesn't belong on a saltwater website. I encourage you to start a new website though!

vinny73
01-19-2007, 12:38 PM
FW is a great idea for"SDREEFS" why not start your own website called SDFRESHWATER? I say no. It contradicts the whole purpose of this website. I have nothing against fw or those who keep them. I just think it doesn't belong here. Does a goldfish belong in a saltwater tank? No. So a freshwater forum doesn't belong on a saltwater website. I encourage you to start a new website though!

pk-sd
01-19-2007, 12:40 PM

In that case we should remove the lounge form this site also. In most cases (if not all) has nothing to do with reefing. Oh please !!!:rolleyes:

victortrav
01-19-2007, 12:44 PM
who has some frontosa's or tropheus thinking of breeding either open a freshwater forum i see this site as a bunch of friends with a hobby in common this would be something else we have in common. and like anything else if a person has no desire to be involved in the fresh water stuff dont look at the posts skip the forum.

Yolo
01-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Freshwater setups and most likely always will. I see a lot of people looking at planted tanks...***, if you are not interested, don't go in that area, pretty easy to figure it out. Most people started FW then progressed to SW...

Hey VIC, you are on the 'on call' list for next week Thurs thru Fri (Feb 2)...LMK if thats ok.

thanks

Mike

victortrav
01-19-2007, 12:57 PM
im there for ya see im even trying to get Boluga a lil action

luistwentyone
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
there are forums here that I do not even bother getting into. no interest.

very simple, if you don't care for a freshwater forum, don't visit it. it should not hurt anybody.

I don't have a freshwater setup, but having a freshwater forum here will not ruin my day.

vinny73
01-19-2007, 03:24 PM
If you want a freshwater forum then go for it. There is plenty of knowledge in the field available. Idont see the point in asking people opinion if you are against opposition. This IS A REEF SITE.

Dakota
01-20-2007, 12:39 PM
If you want a freshwater forum then go for it. There is plenty of knowledge in the field available. Idont see the point in asking people opinion if you are against opposition. This IS A REEF SITE.

Although your intentions are honest, I must question your motives. This site was here a while before you arrived and it will probalby continue after you leave (same goes for myself). I feel in that time, this site had grown to more than just a REEF board. Remember that Salwater tanks can be different than reefs. There are Fish Only, FOWLR. My point is, is that this community is growing.

I know a lot of the people on here, and many of us venture into other areas of the aquatic hobby. Most of us STARTED with freshwater. Being able to have the forum grow WITH us would be most beneficial. That way I don't have to disappear and be visiting another board since this one would be unable to assist me (unless I continually posted in the lounge). We can attract more hobbiest with a passion for what we all love: FISH! And as others have said, your presence inside the freshwater forum would not be neccessary. The reef part of this board will NOT dwindle. It will NOT go away. I'm honeslty surprised to see so many people vote against the option of adding another forum. I didn't ask becuase I didn't want people to disagree. I asked so I could find out why, if any, there would be reasons against it. Stating "This is SDREEFS" doesn't seem to be a strong enough arguement to limit ourselves to another forum.

Now that I think about it, I was here before there were enough people to make a lounge. . .interesting how that turned out.

pk-sd
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I see this thread is a sticky now. Thanks moderators (Kamil, Nick..?) maybe its a sign that a freshwater forum is coming ?:).

DaveMorris
01-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Can I vote YES twice??

vinny73
01-20-2007, 06:15 PM
I have no motives against this site. Why read into a simple NO? The poll was put out there. I answer and gave my reasons. Just like someone else posted, dont like it, dont read it! And dont ask for opinions if you cant take opposition. I said NO. I gave my reason. I also said to proceed with the site. What the hell else do you want?

Dakota
01-20-2007, 11:09 PM
I have no motives against this site. Why read into a simple NO? The poll was put out there. I answer and gave my reasons. Just like someone else posted, dont like it, dont read it! And dont ask for opinions if you cant take opposition. I said NO. I gave my reason. I also said to proceed with the site. What the hell else do you want?

Just because i disagree with your opposition doesn't mean i didn't want to hear it. Please take no offense to my response. I was simply stated WHY I disagreed in hopes you could see our side of the fence. But before things go any further, i think we've discussed this to a point where we can all make a decision.

lucubrator
01-21-2007, 01:41 AM
I see this thread is a sticky now. Thanks moderators (Kamil, Nick..?) maybe its a sign that a freshwater forum is coming ?:).

Eric made it a sticky from the get-go. I'm neutral on it, and kamil's not against it, and could be for it.