PDA

View Full Version : Does Marty stay or go?

kjkev
01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
So after an excellent 14-2 record during the regular season, the Chargers still got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. There is no doubt mistakes were made by Charger's players, but in my opinion Marty has proven that no matter how many games he wins, he just can't take a team to the superbowl. My question is, even with the best record in the NFL during the regular season, will Marty's inability to win the big one get him fired?

Reefryder
01-14-2007, 09:38 PM
They have had a great season....He has brought them a long way in the last few years. No he can't win a playoff game, but his boys made a lot of stupid mistakes on their own. He made some dumb mistakes as well. It all boils down to money...so we will see.

FishBulb
01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
It's hard to blame him for the double muffed punt, stupid fumbles, and dropped passes. However, bad penalties and wasting timeouts shows bad discipline and decision making. Overall tough call. When I first got here the Chargers were awful. A total joke. Then they got marty and they've just gotten progressively better. Either way, there are a lot of teams that will sign him in a heartbeat so don't feel too bad for him. Oh, and he's also a multi millionaire so he'll be just fine.
FB

Dakota
01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
who? :P

Rushdog86
01-14-2007, 10:08 PM
where would we be without him. sure now if he left it might not be so bad but we wouldnt be where we are w/o him. next seasons schedule will be tough and we will have a crappy draft pick. too tough to say....

Poacher
01-14-2007, 10:19 PM
The team was obviously not mentally prepared to play in the playoffs. No intensity,Too many of the same mistakes that were made all season, not going for the kill and putting away the game, etc...ultimately it falls to the coach to prepare the team and Marty just cant get the job done. Fans from KC, Cleveland and others kept trying to warn about Martys playoff choke jobs and now I have to agree. Can you say "Coach Cameron"?

Wow, lost 3 games all season by only 9 points total...wait till next year!

DaveMorris
01-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Yes the players blew the game with their mistakes. And yes, Marty coached them to a 14-2 season. However, when you have a record of 14-2 and you lose in the first round, Marty either has a real problem with preparing for the playoffs, or he just has horrible luck. Either way I see him getting fired. It is the way it works in the NFL.

Jas0863
01-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Coach Bill Cowher........ Steelers still have his contract rights till next year.

nanoreefbro
01-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Coach Bill Cowher........ Steelers still have his contract rights till next year.

You think the Chargers would try to get Bill Cowher?? He would be an awesome coach and would put some fire under them.. I would love to see that but I doubt they would pay the money for him..

nanoreefbro
01-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Yes the players blew the game with their mistakes. And yes, Marty coached them to a 14-2 season. However, when you have a record of 14-2 and you lose in the first round, Marty either has a real problem with preparing for the playoffs, or he just has horrible luck. Either way I see him getting fired. It is the way it works in the NFL.

I see him being fired too..

pk-sd
01-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Is Bobby Ross still alive ??

WanaLeime
01-14-2007, 11:12 PM
I think marty is a goner...GREAT Regular season coach, but when it counts in the PLAYOFFS he doesn't cut it.....

bazblitz772
01-14-2007, 11:12 PM
david beckham lol

swissfish
01-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Marty and AJ are not getting along and that's the reason the TEAM did good. They belive in Marty and buy into his teachings.
The reason they are not ready for the play offs is just because they sing to much kubaya and when the play off insults start, they loose the coolnes and play like morons.
I would insult them for the whole week before the game and make them imune to it :D

luistwentyone
01-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Marty is history.

Don Coryell is still alive.

pk-sd
01-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I do like the fact that are expectations from a coach are very high. We want nothing less than the superbowl. I remember not too long ago we were happy with a winning season.

SHROOM
01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
I do like the fact that are expectations from a coach are very high. We want nothing less than the superbowl. I remember not too long ago we were happy with a winning season.

well, not too long ago i would be very happy to be able to keep xenia in my tank. now I want a lot more than a xenia.

Heather
01-15-2007, 11:05 AM
well, not too long ago i would be very happy to be able to keep xenia in my tank. now I want a lot more than a xenia.
Hahaha! I never could keep xenia in my tank :eek:
I think Marty will be back though. I think he has a good argument with the fact that we have been improving, and he will point fingers at players for making mistakes that he could not forsee or control. As for his challenge...what the hell was he thinking??? I'm sure he has some kind of speech (excuse) prepared to explain it though. I'm not saying he's my favorite coach, and I'm not defending him either. I'm just saying that I think he will talk his way into another season....

pk-sd
01-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Great analogy we all can relate to on this forum.:)

SHROOM
01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Hahaha! I never could keep xenia in my tank :eek:

Xenia used to grow like weeds in mine. Now they just don't grow at all.
I still have the same six stalks for the last six months. Go figure

Reefer Addict
01-15-2007, 02:47 PM
It would crack me up if San Diego fired a 14 and 2 coach...

mojoreason
01-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Insult them all week - that's truly funny. They're going to fire Marty. He's an above par guy but only slightly above.

Bobby Ross is still alive but he's back east in college ball & didn't he and the front office fight too?

Coher as coach would be pretty freakin' weird but goddamn they'd win some motherf'n playoff games with that crazy insane *******!

oh - get this - - on the 31st, after the Bolts won - we left the Murph really late & ended up at this elevator ... we hit the buttons - - bing - - opens the elevator door. the girls we're with ask if it's going down. the guy in the elevator says, no.

me & my buddy get on. he says, while we're on the elevator - it's going up. i say, that's cool. the doors close.

my buddy looks closer at his badge and it's Ed McGuire (Executive VP of Football Operations) ... my pal then goes, holy **** - - this is like the third guy in line for the Chargers.

the guy's totally wanting the elevator to be moving faster ... here's two drunks ... waaaaaay past everyone else has already let out & they're getting on the elevator going up when they need to go down ... i immediately start telling him - - FIRE MARTY. Dude, you guys gotta fire Marty.

he's like - - hmm. all uncomfortable and then a small chuckle. my friend is still freaking out - - he's the number three dude man - like the man.

Fire Marty - i tell him again.

the elevator doors open ... and he walks out - - i tell him not to lose Cam and to fire Marty.

he laughs and smiles & then tells us, "Happy New Year boys."

anyway ... FIRE MARTY ... i've been saying about since the time they got him - - he's bad luck. like breaking a mirror or a black cat that crosses your path.

slurpeshark
01-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I agree... Keep Cameron, but I thought he was up for the AZ job though? could be wrong.

CNCreefer
01-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Fire marty, keep Cameron. Cam has been talking to other teams about a head coaching position. He already has experience, as he has been calling most offensive plays while Marty stands on the sideline without his headset since the loss at KC. If Marty goes, Cam would be a good fit as head coach. He already knows the team, the playbook, etc.

JediReef
01-15-2007, 08:18 PM
I think Marty should stay.. For him to be fired after bringing the team to a 14-2 record is crazy.. Look at where they were at before him.. They've made it to the playoffs twice with him..

Radiant-Reef
01-15-2007, 08:23 PM
They are going to keep him.. There is no guarantee that they can get someone that can coach as well as he is.. Each year they continue to get better.. Look at Cowher.. He stayed with the Steelers for years.. I think football team owners are too quick to fire coaches when they dont get the results that they want..

Jas0863
01-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Do you remember the Colts last season when they were undefeated until they met Marty and the Chargers? We lost the game, however, the play calling was good. It's the inexperience that killd them. Maybe next year, they'll go all the way now that feel to real taste of defeat. I think that should keep Marty for at least another year. Castillo put it best when he said, " It's not the coaching staff but we collectively as players making simple and mental mistakes that cause us the game".

mojoreason
01-16-2007, 07:42 AM
FIRE MARTY!!

honestly - that game was probably lost by the receivers ... throw in the fact that Marty sux (uh, yeah - 4th & 11 ... hmmm, challenging the Marlon interception, letting Eric Parker even on the squad ...) - - - - ugh.

and so long as that fat loser Wade Phillips & Cam don't go anywhere - - my 10 year old could stand on the sidelines wearing a Chargers cap & NOT a headset and coach the Bolts back to the playoffs.

Marty is like a bad habit ... say like keeping a reef tank but not changing the water ... algae is growing on the glass - - detrius is building up to biblical proportions & all Marty is concerned about is breeding the clowns.

they need to show Marty the door. then they need to ensure they don't lose Cam to AZ or MIA ... but hell, i wouldn't make Cam the head coach if you didn't have to.

but for crissake FIRE MARTY!!

I think Marty should stay.. For him to be fired after bringing the team to a 14-2 record is crazy.. Look at where they were at before him.. They've made it to the playoffs twice with him.. oh & doooood - - it ain't before Marty it's before LT. Marty sucked in KC & he sucks here.

july865
01-16-2007, 08:59 AM
they will lower their team salary by letting go of some players that you thought would stay, then use that extra $$ to keep the good and buy better. how can you fire the "winningest coach" in the NFL.. thats not just a coincidence that he got all those wins. he knows how to pick his staff.

nanoreefbro
01-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Anyone hear anything about Donnie Edwards? I heard he left the stadium in his uniform and went straight to his car..

mojoreason
01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
they will lower their team salary by letting go of some players that you thought would stay, then use that extra $$ to keep the good and buy better. how can you fire the "winningest coach" in the NFL.. thats not just a coincidence that he got all those wins. he knows how to pick his staff.

FIRE MARTY!!

Haven't you seen an upclose picture? He's got the damn 666 sign etched behind his ear. He's a CURSE!

The Chargers are doing well because they sucked & picked up a few good peeps. I mean, there's rumor out there that they want to get rid of Donnie Edwards - - and probably will. He still has some umfphpf left. LT isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Any of the receivers can seriously leave and it would not impact their game much at all.

The defense needs to remain the same. Wade Phillips, as much as i hate to say it, is not as much of a BUM as i like to believe. and Cam - Cam is one crazy dude. but neither one of them are of the caliber the Chargers need as head coach.

which reminds me - - FIRE MARTY!!

Reefer Addict
01-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Yep, they should make Cameron head coach... :)
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9932331

mojoreason
01-16-2007, 09:58 AM
seriously - i am not the only person ... this guy has gone to the extreme here:

http://fireschottenheimer.com/home/

Reefer Addict
01-16-2007, 10:03 AM
I think they should fire the whole coaching staff, release all the players who dropped a pass, fumbled, committed penalties and missed assignments!!!

july865
01-16-2007, 10:11 AM
FIRE MARTY!!
i dont understad moj what is it that you wanna say?.............. lol. jk
lets say you get your wish... pick your replacement... and you cant say anybody... have to pick a person or 2
and he has to be available

swissfish
01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
The Chargers are in a 5 Year Super Bowl window. Give Marty an other crack at it and win it all next year.
BTW who do you want to coach.

mojoreason
01-16-2007, 10:42 AM
lets say you get your wish... pick your replacement... and you cant say anybody... have to pick a person or 2
and he has to be available

okay - first off - Wade Phillips needs to be reigned in but he's still doing a good job. Cam - he's crazy. neither one of them can be the head coach. and i'd hate to see either one of them leave.

now - if we're wishing - and it's limited to available coaches ... the only choice would be Bill Cohwer. i mean, really.

but that's not going to happen - this is the Spanos Diego Chargers - - and they're out for a deal. so, who could it be? it would have to be an assistant coach from another team.

then you get into the problem of bringing in an assistant from some place else and you can get a whole set of different problems with the current coaching staff who will question the new sheriff.

so ... since they won't hire me - and they can't hire Shanahan - and Coach Bobby Ross is in the college leagues ... i'd have to say:

Mike Holmgren would be pretty good ... but then again, the Seahawks would have to fire him first & there has been rumor swirling there. if not, we could just do a coach swap - make it a reality tv series & they could make money - - now on Fox ... Coach Swap - - Martyball for Mike.

seriously . . . we'll have to wait and see who frees up. first thing we do is just hang him. let his head pop off like they do in Iraq. then we move on. someone else is bound to be like - - holy shiite, San Diego has everything in a team i need i'm getting out of ______________ and going there.

hold the reigns and let loose the fire. it's a gamble but i bet it's a helluva lot surer a gamble than going for it on 4th & 11 like he did on Sunday. anyway, i'll stop.

pray for Coach Swap on Fox. NFC - AFC. think of all the fans it'd turn.

july865
01-16-2007, 02:28 PM
i like the idea of Cohwer, that would be freakishly good in away. but honestly, i like marty, i feel that he shaped this team well, and was patient in doing so. he/we endured a rather, so-so past few seasons just to wheel and deal trades, and picks. remember, everyone wanted to shoot him when he let bree's go.. look what happened. bree'e loves NO and if they win... then you can shoot marty
i respect your sports knowledge, but instinct says keep him

Reefer Addict
01-16-2007, 02:38 PM
It took Cowher, what 14-15 years to win a Superbowl... Let see, that means that the Chargers may win it in 2021-2? LOL I believe Cowher's first pro coaching job (assistant) was under go ole Marty when he was with the Browns....

swissfish
01-16-2007, 02:43 PM
It took Cowher, what 14-15 years to win a Superbowl... Let see, that means that the Chargers may win it in 2021-2? LOL I believe Cowher's first pro coaching job (assistant) was under go ole Marty when he was with the Browns....

almost sure it was in KC

swissfish
01-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Cowher began his coaching career in 1985 at age 28 under Marty Schottenheimer with the Browns. He was the Browns' special teams coach in 1985-86 and secondary coach in 1987-88 before following Schottenheimer to the Kansas City Chiefs in 1989 as defensive coordinator.

OK we are both right:)

mojoreason
01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
wait a minute - Cohwer has won the Superbowl. Marty has not. and the Chargers are built - so to say it would be 2021 or whatnot is just poppycock!

honestly, it'd probably be safe to stay with Marty but goddamn what happened on Sunday? sometimes the safe bet ain't the safest bet.

Reefer Addict
01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Doesn't matter who the coach is.... The Chargers have fired San Diego.... They're are going to move.... LOL

Heather
01-17-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm confused...you guys keep talking about Cowher as a possibility, but I thought he was planning on taking a break to be with his family, not that he was looking to leave the Steelers for a new team :confused:

swissfish
01-17-2007, 09:08 AM
here is the mighty XX poll:)

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/component/option,com_poll/task,results/id,4/

mojo they let you vote only once:)

slurpeshark
01-17-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm confused...you guys keep talking about Cowher as a possibility, but I thought he was planning on taking a break to be with his family, not that he was looking to leave the Steelers for a new team :confused:

He has officially resigned from his position as head coach (cowher)... he still has one year left under his old contract so if he were to comeback this season someone would have to buy him out of his contract which would be pricy. But not at all improbable... as of right now, he is planning to take time off for his family. hope that clears it up for you heather

Roger
01-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Cowher is a long shot, but would be best choice. I'm not a big believer in luck so I don't think Marty is cursed. If the players like Marty so much or at least enough to support him, then THEY need to win a Super Bowl for him. He has 1 year left and right now there is no better coach to replace him with. There were many great coaches who have never won the big game and I think if Marty gets one more shot he might just be able to take one.

Reefer Addict
01-17-2007, 02:10 PM
The online version of the trib just posted that Marty is staying... Someone needs to check on Mojo to make sure that he hasn't busted an artery regarding the news.... LOL

luistwentyone
01-17-2007, 02:21 PM
its official, he is staying

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734129

slurpeshark
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
yup, just read it when you did .

pk-sd
01-17-2007, 02:35 PM
its official, he is staying

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734129

I am glad that he is. Now time to lock-in Turner.

nanoreefbro
01-17-2007, 03:05 PM
I am glad that he is. Now time to lock-in Turner.

I hope they keep Turner but I doubt if they are going to pay enough for him.

Roger
01-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Turner is a quality RB. If they trade, good for him since he will start for any team and I like Sproles' potential. If he stays, good for the Chargers since he is a nice change of pace in the running game. I think Turner is worth a first day pick.

mojoreason
01-17-2007, 07:04 PM
ha ... now i have somone to direct all my anger toward next season

nanoreefbro
01-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Turner is a quality RB. If they trade, good for him since he will start for any team and I like Sproles' potential. If he stays, good for the Chargers since he is a nice change of pace in the running game. I think Turner is worth a first day pick.

Yeah I heard the Jets were really interested in him.. But I hope he stays..

nanoreefbro
01-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Looks like Cam is gone..

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/cam-gone-iinactive.htm

pk-sd
01-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Looks like Cam is gone..

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/cam-gone-iinactive.htm

Martyball will be back again next year. He just won't be able to help it. The guy is control freak.:(

mojoreason
01-20-2007, 09:26 AM
So without Cam - Marty will actually HAVE to wear a headset on the sidelines. We'll rely more on the defense, which is not going to be the best because Martyball will beat 'em up so that they limp into the playoffs.

Stronger teams will be able to use that to their advantage come playoff time and we'll be lucky to see the San Diego Chargers keep a healthy D to get 'em through to the Big Dance.

Marty is going to be a "Lame Duck" coach and it'll all be put on the shoulders of the stars who will be out there looking toward the future and trading to a team that is viable to win the Superbowl.

The Chargers will lose Marty after next year - we'll get a young coach, they'll trade the stars for picks and we'll start this all over again. Unless of course the Spanos' take the team elsewhere ~ which is a distinct possibility.