PDA

View Full Version : Any comicbook junkies around here?

Talkn2themike
01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Just curious. Or am I the only super nerd that enjoys comics and reef keeping.

nanoreefbro
01-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I read comics too but since I've been into the reef thing I haven't been on top of it..But I do go to the Comic-Con every year.. I was reading mostly Image and some independent stuff how bout you??

simplepleasures
01-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Mike you are just a super nerd!!! HAHAHA

treylane
01-11-2007, 10:22 PM
ohhhh.... sooo many 90's comics... must... not... re-read....

Talkn2themike
01-12-2007, 01:03 AM
Nano
I think I drop about 20-30 bucks every weds religiously since 1990. Its the most expensive hobby EVER. So my pull list is quiet extensive. To many to list but I read almost everything that comes out thats marvel. A lot of Image and Vertigo. And rarely any DC. Comic-Con is always fun but some how every year I always end up working most of the weekend.

Treylane
You should pick up a copy of civil war issue 1. Its about heroes turning on heroes. Its a 7 or 8 issue mini series which has tie ins to a lot of other marvel comics. About 90% of the Marvel Universe is affected by it. Tons of cameos of older heroes.

Casey
I know im a nerd. Ah well whats life without money pits?

Doorag
01-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Why don't you just go to border books or barnes and noble and read them there?

pitfish
01-12-2007, 06:39 AM
I still have about 5 or 6 boxes of older comics just collecting dust. My favorites are a bunch of the old McFarlane spider-mans and lots of X-men and Wolverine (limited series and 1-20) from decades ago. I also have a boxful of the old Savage Sword of Conan magazines (lots of great artists in this series)that were in print from a long time ago starting from number 1 (almost the full run). I quit collecting comics when they started to get ridiculous with all the "variant" covers and skyrocketing prices. Also, having to buy a half dozen different runs of comics just to get a single story (crossovers) started to get annoying imho.

Talkn2themike
01-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Doorag,
I buy the comics because if not enough people buy them they kill production. Not to mention I do like to re-read things.

Pitfish,
I know what you mean about cross overs and tie ins. Civil War has like 15 different cross overs and like 5 or 6 diff mini series that are vital to the storyline. Not to mention the varriants. Its all in good fun though. My fiance actually likes comics better then reef keeping because the mortality rate on comicbooks. But I keep telling her. If she would let me buy the bad ass lighting and equip then we dont have to worry about dead fish/coral.

nanoreefbro
01-12-2007, 11:23 PM
I still have about 5 or 6 boxes of older comics just collecting dust. My favorites are a bunch of the old McFarlane spider-mans and lots of X-men and Wolverine (limited series and 1-20) from decades ago. I also have a boxful of the old Savage Sword of Conan magazines (lots of great artists in this series)that were in print from a long time ago starting from number 1 (almost the full run). I quit collecting comics when they started to get ridiculous with all the "variant" covers and skyrocketing prices. Also, having to buy a half dozen different runs of comics just to get a single story (crossovers) started to get annoying imho.

Yeah I have a bunch of those comics myself.. McFarlane is awesome..

Talkn2themike
01-13-2007, 12:13 AM
MacFar was good when he was with marvel. But he became the man when he did all the pencils and writing for Spawn. His best work EVER

nanoreefbro
01-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Yeah definitely..But Marvel did him wrong.. I started reading Spiderman because of him.

Talkn2themike
01-13-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah they did do him wrong. But I think that made him a better artist. It also opened up peoples eyes to indies. I know it did for me.

nanoreefbro
01-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Exactly.. That was when I started reading Rob Liefield, and Jim Lee..

3U36
01-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Rob Liefield was an OK artist. Jim Lee was better. Jae Lee kicked ass!

As a kid, I was lured by artists. One of my all time faves was John Byrne. He authored some great stories too.