PDA

View Full Version : been a while

Dakota
01-11-2007, 11:16 AM
what's up guys--

I know it's been a LONG time. I've been super busy with school and family, and with the recent death of my tank (tore it down) I've been hesitant to visit, since I was so upset to not have a tank.

BUT-- I plan on re-setting up a new tank in the next month or two. Unfortunately, it will probably only be a freshwater tank, but it will be a species planted tank. I'm thinking either south american cichlid, or a large NEON tank (maybe a few other co-existing tetras). Anyhoo, just wanted to say hi.

Heather
01-11-2007, 11:34 AM
I love neon tanks! It looks so cool when there's a large school swimming around...

cagirly2006
01-11-2007, 11:37 AM
neon tanks? like those little neon tetras??

...what happened to your tank? :( sorry to hear that...

pk-sd
01-11-2007, 11:41 AM
I love neon tanks! It looks so cool when there's a large school swimming around...

I will second that. I had 15-20 of them in my 50g planted tank. I miss my planted tank. Its a lot of work though. In some ways more than reef.

Here is one picture from my 50 that is a reef now.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/pankajk/PICT0003_Small.jpg

Dakota
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
neon tanks? like those little neon tetras??

...what happened to your tank? :( sorry to hear that...

yes, those neons exactly. As for my tank, it had something VERY wrong with it that started when I moved to Ventura. I battled it for a year and decided it best to call it quits and take a break.

And I'm quite curious, pk, why you say FW planted tanks are harder than reefs? (or whatever it was you mean).

pk-sd
01-11-2007, 08:08 PM
yes, those neons exactly. As for my tank, it had something VERY wrong with it that started when I moved to Ventura. I battled it for a year and decided it best to call it quits and take a break.

And I'm quite curious, pk, why you say FW planted tanks are harder than reefs? (or whatever it was you mean).

Eric,

One of the mistakes I made was going with too much light, over 4 watts/gallon because I wanted to keep certain plants. At that point you have to dose fertilizers heavily on daily basis. Once I did that, I was spending 1-2 hours a week trimming and replanting my plants. Once my nutrients ratios were off I had all kinds of algae in the tank that could not control.

If I have to do it all over again (which I will) I would go with slower growing plants that require less than 2 wpg of light. I love the look of planted tanks. If you do it right, planted tanks can look as (if not more) beautiful than reef tanks. Also I think planted tank aquascaping is an art.

Eric, If you decide to do this I would love to follow your progress and give you my opinions if you desire. If you have not already done so, check out this place:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/

Dakota
01-12-2007, 06:47 PM
hrm.. well I was going to use a planted tank MH bult in my 250 watt pendant.. maybe I should change that.... would 2x 55 watters with 10k/pink work? It'll be a 50 gal. tall.

I'd love to hear your opinions and advice (since I'm delving into newers waters). my last planted tank was just a 29 gal with simple plants and no CO2. I have4 a CO2 reactor I wanna use for this one.

lucubrator
01-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Hey eric, try all you might this is sdreefs. Take your bacon soap and don't come back until you've got some "widdw cwowns." ;)

You're almost done with school at this point aren't you?

Dakota
01-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Hey eric, try all you might this is sdreefs. Take your bacon soap and don't come back until you've got some "widdw cwowns." ;)

You're almost done with school at this point aren't you?

hey, I'm gonna make a FW tank just to spite this post!!...

And I'm just about 1/2 way done w/ school........