PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Pump Question: Sedra 3500

Skuzzlebutt
01-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Hey folks,

I may have gotten the answer to this question already from the other forum, but I figured I would try for a second opinion this time with pictures.

My Sedra 3500 died on me and I am trying to save some money by not buying the $100 pump brand new. But I am confused by the whole Needle Wheel thing.

First question, is the first picture considered a needle wheel?

Second, does the sedra 3500 even come with the kind of impeller in picture 2?

Finally, if I buy a pump without a needle wheel like this one:

http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=21172&cat=508&page=1

Can I put my old needle wheel (I have the one like in picture 1) onto that pumps magnet and piston? If I can't do that, will a whole new assembly with the needlewheel work in that pump or is the whole pump a different piece of hardware?

Thanks for any answers you can provide!

treylane
01-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Photo #1 is a needle wheel.

Most/all pumps come with a normal impeller (photo #2) by default.

Yes, you can reuse your old needle wheel impeller in a new pump if it isn't damaged.

Are you sure your pump died rather than something went south with your impeller? These things don't die all that often IME, though I've needed to replace an impeller here and there....

Skuzzlebutt
01-06-2007, 08:52 AM
I can't get the magnet out of the pump. I was told it is fused in there and will probably not pull out no matter what. Sound reasonable?

So I have taken the white needle wheel disk off of the magnet and piston without damaging it. You think it will fit onto the piston that comes with a normal pump? I ask for clarification because I don't know if you mean the whole unit shown in the picture when you say impeller or if you mean just the white disk.

Thanks for the info so far!

treylane
01-06-2007, 08:56 AM
er, the impeller should pop out no problem. just tug a little and it'll pop out. Unless your pump melted down and fused to the impeller... which would explain the whole broken pump thing. LOL

Unless you're realllllllly broke and can't afford to just buy another needlewheel impeller, it's not worth the effort to pry the needlewheel bit off and replace the standard fan blade with a needlewheel... at least not on my sedras, as that would involve glue and clamps and wobbling and ughhh.

I *think* sedra also sells pumps ready-to-go with needlewheels in em...

Skuzzlebutt
01-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks again for the info. I beleive it did have a melt down and is now fused.

I have already popped the needle wheel off the assembly. It came off very easily and has a hexagon connection with the piston.

I am planning on buying a used pump to save money, but I don't think it has a needle wheel. If it has the normal blades, I can try to see if the blades pop off as easily or have the same easy hexagon connection. If it does, it shouldn't be much problem to attach my wheel, just some glue and it should be steady. If it doesn't, then I'll buy a new impeller assembly with the wheel. Even that scenario saves me some money over the $110 version at AW!

Let me know if you see any flaws in my thinking...

Happy weekend!

Edit: Oh, I forgot to ask: How much difference would the needle wheel make in the effectivness of my skimmer? Big deal?

BigAir
01-06-2007, 12:44 PM
I *think* sedra also sells pumps ready-to-go with needlewheels in em...

I believe they do, the pump on my G1 has a needle wheel in it.

Skuzzlebutt
01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the help folks. Unfortunatly, it looks like the point is moot as the person that was suposed to sell me a used pump today stood me up. Made me wait in front of Fry's for half an hour without a phone call. Finally calls 35 minutes late to say he will be there in 15 minutes because he is shoping at IKEA.

If you are shopping at IKEA, why not tell me to meet you there?
If you have a phone, why wait until 35 minutes late to call me?
Why not answer the phone number you gave me to call?

I know accidents happen, but the fact that this guy was shopping somewhere else, didn't call, didn't answer and didn't offer a shred of apology really ticks me off. Just use some common courtesy.

I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks and also trying to help someone else sell their un-needed gear.

Thanks again to the good people of this board. Rant over.

dbrooks
01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
My Sedra 3500 just died as well! A couple of weeks ago my skimmer (Euro-reef, model somethingorother) started to absolutely go non-linear...overflowing like crazy - completely out of control. After fiddling with the riser – which I NEVER do, I figured that I would just unplug the pump and see if things settled down.

Two weeks go by.

Tonight I was changing water...and realized that I never plugged the Sedra back in! The really bad part is that when I went to plug it in...I got NADA!!

Nothing, zip...dead. I can take the pinwheel out, but the pump is completely shot. Seems sort of odd, even though it’s around 2 years old.

Any ideas on revival? (stupid question, I know - but I have to try).

Thanks

DB

lucubrator
01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
Check to see that you don't have Ca buildup inside. Try to turn the impeller by hand. Skuzzlebut especially, if you're probably going to replace the pump anyway, then you might try getting some muriatic acid (pool supply stores carry it) and pour a bit of that in there. I had one pump completely sieze, and after half an hour or so of waiting/working I got the impeller out.

dbrooks
01-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I was able to get the impeller out with no problem...is that where the Ca would build up? I ran it in vinigar about 6 mos. ago. Shall I try the murtatic acid trick?

johnc
01-18-2007, 10:47 PM
when mine stops working its usually because that plastic cap the intake that holds the impeller in is warped. in the past 2 months i replaced that plastic piece and the impeller, still only a quarter of the cost of a new pump. you guys shoulda seen the magnet on the impeller it looked like it blew up. the thing was all fat and bulgy plus it was cracked in a few places.

Limbo
01-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Nick,...you had a pump seize? :rolleyes: ;)

J