PDA

View Full Version : New hi-flo frag tank

crstjohn
12-29-2006, 12:42 AM
Just finished setting this up for testing w/ FW. It's about 14g made from scrap I got from Ridout. Side & OF bulkheads are DIY using PVC fittings & O-rings. The modified SCWD switches flow from the 2-1" outlets on each side. Sump and stand will probably remain as shown, a 35g Brute trash can. Right now the return is a Rio 3100 but will probably cut that way down. Recirc is through a Little Giant I got from Jim. I have insulated all but the front & top to hepl reducd elec. costs as this will stay in the garage. As of now, proposed lighting will be 2-54w PC's I have lying around. also plan to get a hot water blanket to wrap the trash can. Should be able to keep a consistent temp of 77-79with a 150w heater. Hope to put a few racks in there and see if i can get some cool looking SPS to grow. Hope you like it. 16810

16814Rick

SDFISHMAN
12-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Looks good Rick.. I have some acrylic I need to put into some use.. What did you use to bond the acrylic weld on 16, 3, or 4?

DaChrisDude
12-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Kinda ghetto rick... but sweet!

Great work, looks very good. Curious to see how it all works for ya.

crstjohn
12-29-2006, 01:19 AM
Looks good Rick.. I have some acrylic I need to put into some use.. What did you use to bond the acrylic weld on 16, 3, or 4?Mostly 3, reinforced som seams with 16. I bought a can of 4 but havn'tused it yet,

jrjuiliano
12-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Looks pretty cool!

Are there any weight issues with the tank being on top of the trash can? Is there a possibility that the can might buckle and fall? Or is this just the testing phase right now? :cool:

swissfish
12-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Make sure that the trash can does not buckle once it is getting warmer. Looks like it is your sump as well as your stand.
Cool looking set up, what kind of frags are you going to have?

rudy
12-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Hey Rick,
That looks very dangerous, be careful.
If something were to fall against that trash can it could buckle and crash.
One of those barrels SDFISHMAN is selling would work better or a regular 60 gal barrel with a hole cut in the top, they're very strong and a little taller the the trash can.
Looks good though, nice work.

crstjohn
12-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey Rick,
That looks very dangerous, be careful.
If something were to fall against that trash can it could buckle and crash.
One of those barrels SDFISHMAN is selling would work better or a regular 60 gal barrel with a hole cut in the top, they're very strong and a little taller the the trash can.
Looks good though, nice work.
I think I will go with the 55g barrels Justin has FS. I already have tow of em and since they are cylindrical it will be easier to wrap with a blanket. Also the HDPE is thicker so I can plumb the tank to the barrel using uniseals for a good, watertight fit. As for the strength of the trash can, it is very stable. The pressure of the water inside will prevent the sides from buckeling. The weight of the tank is distributed evenly to the rim and walls of the can. I don't have any concerns about failure. As for what to put in here, I would like to experiment with some nice, colorful SPS that require a lot of flow and very clean water. Any PIF frags out there??

DaChrisDude
12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I think I will go with the 55g barrels Justin has FS. I already have tow of em and since they are cylindrical it will be easier to wrap with a blanket. Also the HDPE is thicker so I can plumb the tank to the barrel using uniseals for a good, watertight fit. As for the strength of the trash can, it is very stable. The pressure of the water inside will prevent the sides from buckeling. The weight of the tank is distributed evenly to the rim and walls of the can. I don't have any concerns about failure. As for what to put in here, I would like to experiment with some nice, colorful SPS that require a lot of flow and very clean water. Any PIF frags out there??

I've got couple very small orange monti's you can have...

crstjohn
12-29-2006, 10:31 AM
I've got couple very small orange monti's you can have...
Thanks Chris. I'll take you up on your offer soon as I get it permanently set up (which should be soon).

crstjohn
01-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Got this sucker set-up now w/ an insulated 55g sump & 6500K MH. I changed the pump to a 75 lpm (1200 gph) or the four 1" recird outlets operated by a modified SCWD so am getting killer circ. The next step is to install some racks, then get some nice frags. Also just hooked up a UV system for my 65g16968

jharr
01-04-2007, 08:47 AM
Rick,

Have I given you the blue digi and the green digi already? I can't remember. If not, let me know and I will bring a couple of frags by.

J--

crstjohn
01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
James:
I think you gave me the blue one, which is now about four smaller frags in my tank cause I kept breaking em. Would love a green one to put in this tank and see how it grows. Are you going to make it this sat. for the SCWD WS?

swissfish
01-04-2007, 09:09 AM
wow, that is a cool set up. Eric F has some really nice frags.

And OCD me would like to see tthat MH light mountet level :D

crstjohn
01-04-2007, 09:17 AM
wow, that is a cool set up. Eric F has some really nice frags.

And OCD me would like to see tthat MH light mountet level :D
I was in a hurry!! Will level it out today, thanks for noticing:p

nanoreefbro
01-04-2007, 09:32 AM
That is a nice setup Crstjohn.. Are you going to be selling any frags or just keeping for yourself?

crstjohn
01-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Hopefully I'll be selling some to help pay for all of this! But my goal is to be able to grow nice size SPS quickly. My main tank is too crowded and the WQ is too poor for a lot of SPS. I'm still working on the wife to upgrade my main tank but it ain't looking good at this point:(

nanoreefbro
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Hopefully I'll be selling some to help pay for all of this! But my goal is to be able to grow nice size SPS quickly. My main tank is too crowded and the WQ is too poor for a lot of SPS. I'm still working on the wife to upgrade my main tank but it ain't looking good at this point:(

Well keep the faith bro.. Maybe we can do some PIF SPS frags to get you started...:D

swissfish
01-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Is the flex hose spa hose from HD?
I went there a while back and they said that this hose can't be glued into pvc fittings. were they wrong or is the HD hose different?

crstjohn
01-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Not to sure about the hose you saw at HD. I believe I've see larger diameter (2") at HD before. Spaflex is flexible PVC pipe and can be glued using PVC cement to any PVC fittings. I got 3/4" and 1" spaflex from Ryan Herco but had to buy a whole roll, they don't sell by the foot. I don't have much left of these sizes but the 1.5" I acquired and still have quite a bit, although it is dirty on the outside. LMK if you need some.

swissfish
01-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the offer, but i don't need any. just wanted to know