PDA

View Full Version : Spearfishing

SDFISHMAN
12-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Anyone spearfish?? My buddy is trying to get me to try it. Heres a picture of his tuna gun where going to cruise south mission jetty with:D ..
http://i14.tinypic.com/4fwwz1x.jpg

DaChrisDude
12-21-2006, 08:32 PM
that's insane!

FishBulb
12-21-2006, 09:10 PM
I've been once up in north county. We never saw anything worth shooting. :-(
I think you need to have patience and go OFTEN to really have it pay off. Just don't swim in front of that thing!

crstjohn
12-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Justin, you just can't get enough of killing stuff can you?? I got a speargun I used once diving. Thing is a ***** to cock especially under water with all your gear on! Personally, I've neverseen anything locally that you could legally spear with that thing, if you get bored you could always shoot a boat or something:)

SDFISHMAN
12-21-2006, 10:23 PM
It's a Jack Prodanovich gun.. My buddys dad was a part of the San Diego Bottom Scratchers Dive Club and dove with Jack and Wally Potts. He used it for open water off catalina islands not local.. We just thought it would be fun to shoot a couple crocker off the jetty. Here a 1939 pic of La Jolla Coves.
http://i16.tinypic.com/339n2wp.jpg

SDFISHMAN
12-21-2006, 10:23 PM
Jack Prodanovich & a tuna gun.
http://i16.tinypic.com/48hptp0.jpg

Saltwater Taffy
12-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Alot of spearfishing happens in La Jolla, a stones throw from seal beach. The water is pretty deep and the kelp beds attract fish that those guys go after. Check out this video from earlier this week
http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=725799E7-A6A9-481A-BFA8-41775E00826D&t=s2&f=06/64&p=hotvideo_viralvideos&fg=&GT1=8816
Have fun...let me know what you catch. Trying to setup a day to go shark fishing myself.

crstjohn
12-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Wow, that's some cool history. I wouldn't want to be holding the end of one of those guns with a 200+ lb tuna on the other end! I think if you hit a croaker with one of those there wouldn't be anything left. Kinda like shooting a humming bird with a 12 Ga from 10' away. Anyway, hope you get luck, post some pics of your catch. BTW, wishing you and the family a Merry Christmas!

SDFISHMAN
12-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Yep I get the point its like me trying to finish a duck from 3' away with my 12 Gauge Kent #2 (1550FPS). Nothing but feathers left:cool: .. Merry christmas to your family too..

DaChrisDude
12-21-2006, 11:39 PM
"This was such an amazing fish" such a beautiful animal blah blah blah.

So he killed it for the sake of fun.

Lol - just thought it was funny.

SDFISHMAN
12-22-2006, 09:35 PM
im totally against spear fishing unless its for survival because it kills \or just injures them .......real fishermen use a pole ,hook,& makurel and some 20lb test or more to fight the fish for minutes/hours and pull it in to catch and release it back into the water and watch it swim off ...real fishermen not killers get to think """thank you for the fight and we shall meet again someday ""when your even bigger""" and spear fishing just kills no fight another day nothing .....you should try catching a fish and letting it go and kill in iraq or video games only !!!!or if you need to feed your family thats all good....ive seen these guys scare a rare size seabass into a hole and spear it out of its only hiding spot cheep dead killer

Will lets see. Spearfishing isn't just shooting a fish and pulling it in.. Its alot harder to spear a fish then catch it with a hook.. As for the fish. I don't kill thing that I'm not going to eat( Fish/Duck/Wild game.. And throw it back and catch it again.. Not all fish servive when you throw them back. Its a sport bro not a Slaughter.

Squidward
12-22-2006, 09:37 PM
i would like to spear fish for large sharks so i take back everything sorry:p

SDFISHMAN
12-22-2006, 09:45 PM
i would like to spear fish for large sharks so i take back everything sorry:p

when i was fishing in my local fishinghole some kids just got in my way and was scaring every halibit out of the area

No problem bro.. I'm I guess alittle extreme with fishing and hunting.. I fished for many years worked at a bait and tackle shop.. My buddys dad caught the first killer whales for seaworld and alot more.. I'll take some pics of his whaling gear next time i'm at his house.. The way they joined there spear club was to swim down and wrestle a shark to the surface while free diving.. He also invented the shark dart. In the late 90's he was on the discovery channel on shark week. I've learned alot about hunting and fishing for him.