PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Microsoft Vista yet?

CyberGuy
12-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Anyone using Microsoft Vista yet?

I am using Vista Ultimate edition now. It is cool.

I have a brother-in-law who works for Microsoft and has the ultimate business edition. It is the final version.

Other people will have to wait until January to get them. Yay for me. :D

There are a lot of cool feature in the new operating system. Nice eye candy too.

luistwentyone
12-06-2006, 10:00 PM
I have the ultimate business edition, but I don't really like it yet. got it from work.

I am having to many issues with drivers. if you do not have a hefty machine I would not recommend installing it. you definitely need a good video card. for example, with a low end video card you do not have the thumbnail feature any longer. I have a 256mb video card, but Vista sees it as a 32mb even tho the ATI Vista drivers are installed.

I am going to wait until the first service pack comes out.

also, everytime you do something it ask you to confirm, that just kills me.

Anyone using Microsoft Vista yet?

I am using Vista Ultimate edition now. It is cool.

I have a brother-in-law who works for Microsoft and has the ultimate business edition. It is the final version.

Other people will have to wait until January to get them. Yay for me. :D

There are a lot of cool feature in the new operating system. Nice eye candy too.

CyberGuy
12-06-2006, 10:12 PM
The laptop that my Vista is installed in has the ATI X700 video card 128 MB. It works fine without any driver issue. In fact, I did not even have to install the driver. I don't know if I should installed the latest Omega driver for it or just use the one from Vista.

july865
12-07-2006, 08:24 AM
i am running the 64bit pro. i have no issues with it at all. ive built this from the ground up as a sole gamer and im over clocking it... very stable AMD and windows.

luistwentyone
12-07-2006, 03:19 PM
"For the Aero interface, the video card or Graphics Processing Unit (G.P.U.) is the most important component. The chips on that card (or on your PC’s system board) do the heavy lifting when it comes to displaying images on your monitor. Vista’s Aero interface, according to Rob Csongor, vice president of Nvidia, a leading maker of chips for computer graphics, is especially taxing on video processors because of the way it renders windows.

The use of Vista’s Flip 3-D window changer, for example, requires the video card to render a 3-D image of all of your open windows every time you press Alt Tab. The Windows desktop, according to a Microsoft Web site, “will be dynamically composed many times a second from the contents of each window.”

Even if your graphics card is Aero-compatible, you may still want to upgrade for faster performance. In my tests, a three-year-old Aero-compatible card from ATI (now part of Advanced Micro Devices) was noticeably slower than newer, moderately priced (about $130) cards from both ATI and Nvidia. I noticed it and so did the Windows Experience performance scanning program that comes with Vista.

If you have a desktop PC with a graphics card that’s not up to the task, you can replace the card with one that is Vista Aero-ready, and if your PC system board has an embedded graphics system, it may still be possible to add an external card. If you have a notebook PC whose graphics processor isn’t Vista-ready, you’re pretty much out of luck because, other than adding additional memory, it’s generally not possible to upgrade internal components of a laptop."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/07/technology/07basics.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

ocean1
12-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Is it true that its so secure you dont need spam and antivirus? Or that its built in or something?

july865
12-08-2006, 08:23 AM
not true