PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever go to one of these?

wickeddroptop
12-05-2006, 07:56 PM
I filled out a sweepstakes entry to win a Hummer H3 or 100k at Horton Plaza in Sept. We got a call today, saying we won a chance to spin a wheel. The minimum prize is a home entertainment system, cruise to the bahamas, the hummer or the loot. We have to sit through an hour long seminar for timeshare. We specifically asked and there is no obligation, and we are gaurenteed to win whatever price we spin on the wheel. And I won a bonus thing too that I pick up when I get there for free hotel nights in places like Big Bear and Vegas. Just curious if anyone has been to one of these before?

ilikualot
12-05-2006, 08:05 PM
We have been and it just depends. One time I got a $100 gift certificate on home depot. Another one I received a trip to Hawaii but it was leave on Tuesday come home on Friday. We didnt go.

One time we got a $500 for an internet store. When we read through everything we read that we had to pay for shipping. The shipping ended up costing more than eanything they were selling.

I would go and take your chances. Just be prepared to say NO!!!!

BumbleBee
12-05-2006, 08:06 PM
The "free" hotels nights are a joke in most cases. We got one or two of those and they kept sending them back as dates unavailable, the one time they sent it back with dates confirmed I went online and booked the room for cheaper than their "taxes and fees".

coral diver
12-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Have you heard of this words RIP OFF :eek:

supaboy1981
12-06-2006, 12:47 AM
I went on two, said no both times and got my free gifts. Mostly buffets and shows. The wife wanted to buy everything they were selling

A.M.S.
12-06-2006, 02:08 AM
Just be prepared for a high pressure sales pitch. In the end timeshares aren't really that good of an investment, but if you're willing to go through an hour sales pitch for a chance at some mulah then go for it.

lucubrator
12-06-2006, 03:42 AM
We went to one of these in HI a while back and got a "free" trip out to some sunken volcano spot.
1 hour high pressure sales pitch for a trip while we were already there? I'd say it was worth it. (We obviously didn't buy anything).

pk-sd
12-06-2006, 08:10 AM
We went to one just to get a $100 gift card from Home Depot. Ended up spending $22000 on the timeshare.

Timeshares are not investments, but if you go on vacations every year with your family, you will save some money. Our first trip alone is going to save us between $2000-$3000. Also remember, hotel prices will always keep going up but timeshare price is what you paid for.

wickeddroptop
12-06-2006, 10:13 AM
As far as the rip off factor, we dont own our house, and there is no Shelby GT500 sitting in my garage, so its going to be impossible for them to talk me out of 22 grand.

supaboy1981
12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Just go during a time where you wouldnt have been doing anything anyways. That way you dont really lose any time you would have used to do anything else.

Wow is there an echo here?

MrKrispy
12-06-2006, 02:51 PM
i have a timeshare.....regardless of whether you want one, definitely don't buy a new one. You can get much better deals from people trying to dump ones they own, even off ebay. Mine is in Hawaii and the yearly maintenance dues are over $500 now. The yearly dues are starting to get high enough that it isn't worth it anymore. Also, beware the RCI/INterval things where you can bank a week that you don't use. It is very hard to actually book weeks in many spots, sometimes you have to book 2 years in advance.