PDA

View Full Version : Overflow noise

dbrooks
11-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I was discussing the "pump noise" question with my wife, and she explained that it's not the pump that drives her crazy...it's the overflow.

I have a 125g with a built-in overflow and durso stand pipe. The water still free falls about 6-8 inches before hitting the water in the overflow - hence the noise.

What can I do to quite this down?

Thanks

Dave

crstjohn
11-26-2006, 11:15 AM
If you have a Durso and the water falls 6-8 inches, your Durso is too low. It should be set in height so that the water level in the OF box is only a couple of inches lower than the level in the tank. Adjust the height of the Durso and this should solve your problem. Dursos are very quiet.

reef
11-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I agree, sounds like your standpipe is to low. I am running a home made Durso that is very quiet in my overflow. Water level is about 2 inches lower than the tank level.

dbrooks
11-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Holy Shi#!! - you can adjust a durso?! I put up with that annoying gurggelig for TWO YEARS!

My undying gratitude. My wife says that you are a true american hero!

swissfish
11-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Holy Shi#!! - you can adjust a durso?! I put up with that annoying gurggelig for TWO YEARS!

My undying gratitude. My wife says that you are a true american hero!

Tell your wife that you need something new for your tank to fix it (Lights, pumps, ca reactor) and when you intsall it just fix the standpipe too:D

dbrooks
11-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Doh! Too late...

Yolo
11-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Don't forget about a piece of ringged foam over the tip, or make one out of the inexpensive squares you can buy...that will quiet it down right away along with adjusting the drop flow (if you have a valve)...mine are both near the top of the overflow...

lucubrator
11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
The foam would need to be cleaned though. I can't hear my overflow over the bit of splashing noise of the water moving in the tank.

dbrooks
11-27-2006, 02:18 AM
I took a piece of the pad that I use to clean the acrylic with and put it over the mouth of the stand pipe - absolute silence.

However, as Lucubrator points out, it will need to be cleaned *very* frequently to prevent overflow...of the overflow.

Any ideas on exactly what material would work best for something like this? I am rather concerned about the foam becoming a filter - clogging - and backing the system up...

crstjohn
11-27-2006, 06:42 AM
You don't need it. Just get rid of it and the worries. The noise level should be much better now. Let your filtration system do the rest.