PDA

View Full Version : Captive Bred Baby Cuttlefish

brahm
08-05-2004, 01:03 AM
1 Captive Bred Baby Cuttlefish for sale. 80.00$ Very small 1"-1.5" changes colour like no other!

GAD
08-05-2004, 07:36 AM
Hey brahm, could you post some care instructions on keeping a cuttlefish. How big do they get, what do they eat, do they need a species only tank?

GAD
08-05-2004, 07:51 AM
well I found a little something if anyone is interested:

http://www.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/cuttle3.html

SDRotary
08-05-2004, 09:12 AM
www.tonmo.com is a good resourse for cephalopods as well.

brahm
08-05-2004, 01:55 PM
http://www.stickycricket.com/cuttle/

pretty good info..but as of right now I'm going to have to temporarly take it off for sale, to make sure it's going to surrive.

Trickman2
08-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Are you breeding them?

brahm
08-05-2004, 08:45 PM
no I picked up to captive bred cuttles. They are no longer available.

wwxc
08-08-2004, 12:53 PM
I worked at the National Zoo back in high school in the invertebrate departement. We had a hell of a time keeping our baby cuttles alive past about a month to six weeks. Extremely easy to stress out, finicky with eating and pretty sensitive to water conditions.

In my opinion they're best left to the experts. If you're aching for a cephalopod, both the octopus and nautilus are much easier to maintain.

brahm
08-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by wwxc
I worked at the National Zoo back in high school in the invertebrate departement. We had a hell of a time keeping our baby cuttles alive past about a month to six weeks. Extremely easy to stress out, finicky with eating and pretty sensitive to water conditions.

In my opinion they're best left to the experts. If you're aching for a cephalopod, both the octopus and nautilus are much easier to maintain.

I heard nautilus were impossible due to the fact they are from deep waters and they don't get used to the lower pressure.

wwxc
08-08-2004, 04:41 PM
We kept them fine. Don't know where or how they were collected though. It probably has mainly to do with the acclimation to the lower pressure. It they just get netted at 200 feet and taken to the surface right away I'm sure they'll kick it quickly.

brahm
08-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by wwxc
We kept them fine. Don't know where or how they were collected though. It probably has mainly to do with the acclimation to the lower pressure. It they just get netted at 200 feet and taken to the surface right away I'm sure they'll kick it quickly.

Hmm cuttlefish are awsome though, I don't know how old the babies were, but sadly they didn't make it. I don't think I acclimated them long enough.. I got nervous that they were going to ink in the bags, and die. Next time I'm going to take my time and acclimate them for 2-3 hours+

GAD
08-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Were they eating? i heard the babies need live mysis shrimp in very large quantities. very expensive to raise for the first four weeks or so from what I have read. Some guy was spending $1000 a week to feed a few juveniles.

brahm
08-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by GAD
Were they eating? i heard the babies need live mysis shrimp in very large quantities. very expensive to raise for the first four weeks or so from what I have read. Some guy was spending $1000 a week to feed a few juveniles.

They didn't make it long enough to eat.. I found the second one had passed after I had returned with a bag of ghost shrimp to attempt to feed it.

Bickmade
08-09-2004, 08:26 AM
GAD IS A GAD IS A GAD.