PDA

View Full Version : Peacock Mantis Shrimp FS!

brahm
08-04-2004, 11:27 PM
I have 3 Peacock Mantis Shrimps!

2 LARGE @ 15.00 each
and one Baby for 10.00

Hand Solo
08-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Ooo Ooo, I want one and a blue ringed octpuss too. Or how about a cuttlefish?

Just couldn't help it.

brahm
08-05-2004, 12:54 AM
Funny you might say that.. as it just so happens I do have a CuttleFish for sale.. No blue ring though.

GAD
08-05-2004, 07:39 AM
I may be interested in the baby, or whichever one seems to hide least. I will let you know soon.

Bickmade
08-05-2004, 08:24 AM
PICs!, gotta have PICS!

brahm
08-05-2004, 01:56 PM
I've got them all floating in cups right now so..there isn't anything for them to hide in. So I couldn't tlel you.. PIctures on the way

Bickmade
08-05-2004, 02:15 PM
sweet!

GAD
08-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Do you think a dedicated 10 gallon would be sufficient for 1?

brahm
08-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Yea that should be plenty.

Bickmade
08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Pics huh?

brahm
08-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Somebody that will remain nameless.. sent me a message rather conserned about me selling the mantis's.. So for those of you who aren't aware..

DISCLAIMER : Mantis's are one of the fatests strongest animals on the planet (for there size). They larger ones have some times been known to crack aquairum glass or there owns thumbs hence the term thumb splitter. These are a predtory animal granted they are reef safe in the sense they won't eat your corals. But they WILL eat your cleanup crew!!

On a good note they are VERY intelligent extremely fasicanting creatures see this site for more info

http://blueboard.rimlife.com/mantis/

http://grimreefers.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11

SDRotary
08-06-2004, 02:34 PM
I have one now, a O. Scyllarus, and it is the coolest invert. Any hermits that arn't behaving in your main aquarium...plunk...crack! They build intense burroughs too. I have mine in an acrylic tank now but it isn't always neccisary but a good idea. Everyone needs one they are sweet!

suver569
08-06-2004, 08:55 PM
Damn... tempting to setup my 29 again just for one of these guys :)

I dont know much about them, but can you put more than 1 in a tank?

SDRotary
08-06-2004, 09:09 PM
You can, but your risking it in a 29. I have had fish in mine for some time. I didn't feed it for a week or so and wham goes the fish.

brahm
08-07-2004, 04:05 AM
from what I understand it's normally not a good idea to have more then 1 per tank, you might get lucky and get a bonded pair.But most likely a dead one.

brahm
08-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Mantis Photo's.. at last.. Sorry for the poor quality, but there taken through glass, then plastic cups.

Large Mantis (this one is greener)

http://www.socalracers.com/tankpic/mantis/mantis_001.jpg

Large Mantis (this one seems more brown)

http://www.socalracers.com/tankpic/mantis/mantis_002.jpg

Baby Mantis (eats mysis)

http://www.socalracers.com/tankpic/mantis/mantis_003.jpg

Bickmade
08-10-2004, 03:00 PM
man, that looks pretty fackin cool. how many you have left?

brahm
08-10-2004, 03:03 PM
All of em, I plan on keeping one for myself.. but don't care which one...and if somebody really wanted it. I wouldn't mind parting with it and picking up another for myself at a later date.

Kee
08-11-2004, 09:42 AM
How difficult are these guys to take care of? Could I set up a small 10 gallon without a sump or skimmer and just do weekly water changes? What type of enviroment do they like, rocks, sand?

I was thinking one for my office. Could he do alright without supervision for a couple days in a row?

Thanks.

Kee

brahm
08-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Kee
How difficult are these guys to take care of? Could I set up a small 10 gallon without a sump or skimmer and just do weekly water changes? What type of enviroment do they like, rocks, sand?

I was thinking one for my office. Could he do alright without supervision for a couple days in a row?

Thanks.

Kee

They are VERY hardy, and very simple to take care of.. A 10 gallong should do fine for quite some time, but depending on the size they eventualy get you might want to get a bigger tank once you feel they are out growing (not any time soon).. I have all 4 mantis living temporarly in a 10x10x10 cube, Skimmer isn't really necesary unless you want to keep them which corals (which you fully can as they are Reef Safe in the sense they won't damage your corals..but they will damage your clean up crew, and you if your not carefull!)

Yes, they will do fine without supervision they don't need to be fed everyday, I feed mine a couple times a week or when i'm bored (it's cool to watch em eat that one of the best parts).... A Sand Bed with some LR will do, Accrlyic tank is prefered as they have been known to break the glass from time to time. but, one thing to understand..

These are Predotory Pets, they will KILL & Eat all your Snails, Hermits, and Fish (if they can catch em) They can cause you Severe injury (although they aren't slashers and can't remove you fingure) They can, break it! As witch I wouldn't advice having it at work as a co-worker or co-workers child might for whatever lame reason stick there hand in the tank, and find them selves in the hospital!

Kee
08-12-2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I knew they can be dangerous but didn't know how hard they were to keep.
I am looking into a setup now. Are these guys hard to get in case it takes awhile to get a setup?

brahm
08-12-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Kee
Thanks for the info. I knew they can be dangerous but didn't know how hard they were to keep.
I am looking into a setup now. Are these guys hard to get in case it takes awhile to get a setup?

I see them from time to time at the wholesalers in la, but don't see them very often down in sd.. It shouldn't be to big of a deal to get another..maybe not the same speicies though.

brahm
08-16-2004, 07:15 PM
*Still Available!

Kee
08-17-2004, 06:52 AM
I am still very interested but I need a finished setup. Sounds like I don't want to be reaching in there and postioning rock while the shrimp is in there. How long would you be willing to hold one for me?

a_fool_for_fish
08-18-2004, 12:24 PM
brahm im really interested in the small 1 and could i keep it in my 2.5 gallon cuse i had a pistol and im getting rid of him so i can get a mantis

Kee
08-18-2004, 01:37 PM
Looks like I will have my tank set up by tomorrow, so I am going to put my claim in for one of the larger mantis shrimps, preferably the green one or whichever looks nicer.
Since this is going in a tank in my office, it would be a lot easier if I could pick him up during normal working hours. Don't know your work schedule or what is convenient for you. Monday or Tuesday would probably be best. If weekends work better for you, than no big deal. Just means more driving for me.