PDA

View Full Version : Koi Pond Advice needed

dhuynh
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
My brother has a 3000 gal Koi pond that is constantly having algae problem. He has a sand filter that's rated for that size pond, but I don't think it's enough. It looks like he's culturing 3000 gal of green water.

The pond is somewhat cover. I'm looking for a good in pond filter that can handle 5000-6000 gal. I want to make sure that he's pond stays clean.

Any pond people out there? Any advice? He has a UV filter on it right now, but I think it's only 50W or so. How do I get his water clean? Zeo?

Thanks in advance.

victortrav
11-16-2006, 10:42 AM
thats not a pond thats a fishin hole

coral diver
11-16-2006, 10:56 AM
i have a relative who did this to his fish pond water goes in 55 gallon drum pull of sand then to a 5 gallon carbon then back to the pond he did that to the tilapia fry coz the algea is sapocating the fingerling he did that for a week i think

DaChrisDude
11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Definitely use a large UV sterilizer, also use some sort of medication "AlgaeFix" or "Pond Clear" or something. Coraldiver's suggestion sounds goods also.

dhuynh
11-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah.. I'm going to upgrade the UV filter and add some carbon.

Alex has a friend who's a pond expert that is gonna come take a look at the setup. I tried talking my brother into setting up a saltwater tidepool pond, but he didn't go for it. :) hehehe

Jojo: Tilapia? LOL.. That's hardcore Asian! LOL

cagirly2006
11-16-2006, 04:44 PM
"saltwater tidepool pond"

...with that would you have to create like a life-like wave system thing for them??? lol just wondering...

SolRo
11-16-2006, 04:45 PM
he using any barley bails or something to make the water tea colored? I think that's the way to control algae in koi ponds.

dhuynh
11-16-2006, 04:46 PM
He has a waterfall that is turned on in the morning by a timer. :)
That should create enough water movement.

"saltwater tidepool pond"

...with that would you have to create like a life-like wave system thing for them??? lol just wondering...

dhuynh
11-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Peak Moss? He wants clear water, not tea color. :)

he using any barley bails or something to make the water tea colored? I think that's the way to control algae in koi ponds.

SolRo
11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
well then he has to use a pond strength algae chemical, and a very large UV filter.

dvincent
11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
My boss has a pond aout the same size and he uses a large bio filter and a uv filter in such a way that the uv does not kill off his good bacteria, and he just installed a 6' tall vortex that looks like a very interesting way to rid your pond of fish waste, i will see if he has any recommendatons for algea control. Darrin

GoTakuF1
11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
If money is not an issue, Aquadynes (http://www.aquadynamite.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=12) are the best you can get. Certain things need to be considered as well to prevent algae: bioload, prefilter type/placement, flow, etc.

johnc
11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
aquadyne do make awesome pumps. i can only afford my skippy at the moment.

how much surface area does the pond have and what is his bioload/feeding levels? i never have any problems with ponds after i get everything settled.

i would get a big prefilter on it first and stop feeding for a while and see what happens.