PDA

View Full Version : holiday charity

victortrav
11-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Hey reefers some of you know me some may not but im the type of guy that gives back to the community when ever i can. And a thought just crossed my mind well actually my company just gave me a gift card for thanksgiving. Well i thought that was great but just like we have the PIF i thought that i should pass this gift card on to someone more needy than me. So that got me to thinking we throw alot of money around on this board why not throw a little bit to a needy cause for this holiday season. We pick a charity and show them what our giving community can give back. So if anyone knows of a charity they would like to give to lets put it together and help some people out.

Pledges
victor - 20
dhuynh - 50
heather - 20
Bumblebee - 20
rudy - 25

who is next to help out others in need

cagirly2006
11-16-2006, 10:04 AM
good idea!! we used to always go give jackets and sweaters to the homeless people...

victortrav
11-16-2006, 10:09 AM
i run a non profit and have been a foster parent and i consider myself blessed so this time of year i try to give back to others yes it is self serving cuz i get the warm fuzzies all over again but im sharing the luv

cagirly2006
11-16-2006, 10:36 AM
thats cool that you have been a foster parent. Do you still have the kids that you fostered? We have fostered dogs and mommy kitties and there babies b4 but thats about it!! Its so much fun!! :D

victortrav
11-16-2006, 10:40 AM
i dont have any foster kids right now but if i see a kid in need im going to help if i can.
but let me jump start this
I Pledge 20 bucks plus my gift card to the sdreef charity of choice.

i figure with as many people talking about going in on buying BR a 10 or 20 buck one time gift wouldnt hurt too bad.

my choices of charities is Homefront san diego for the military families and of course fAther Joe

dhuynh
11-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Here's what I and some of my friends do. Throughout the yeah, we save our loose change in a jar and around Thanksgiving or Christmas, we go to costco and buy bread, cold cuts, fruits and water and make packed sandwich bags and distribute them to the homeless.

Victor, put me down for $50 if you're gonna organize this.

Heather
11-16-2006, 10:51 AM
I can certainly put in $20 :)

victortrav
11-16-2006, 10:59 AM
thanks guys
i can organize it but is there any charities that you all would like see benefit from us here.

i do the same thing with my change but having 3 kids thats all christmas money so my wallet dont hurt so bad come dec 26

DaChrisDude
11-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Someone decide on a charity, and I'll prob be in also.

I don't know of any to reccomend...

victortrav
11-16-2006, 01:00 PM
im thinking Homefront San Diego 100% goes to the families no overhead costs and our military families deserve our support IMO

BumbleBee
11-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Great Idea, and I even like the charity chosen. Since I am currently in the market for a light I have two pledges; $20 personally, and I will buy the MH light from the person who agrees to donate 10% of the price.

Is there any way someone could talk one of the LFS into making some small frags for us, and donating 10% of the profit from them? Seems like one might be willing if we all went in to buy. That's a three in one, we get frags, they get business, and we donate to charity...

victortrav
11-20-2006, 10:34 AM
right on Nichole Its good to see that there are more people here interested in helping others.

Heather
11-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Victor, remind me to give you some money for this when I see you at the Public Enemy concert next week :)

victortrav
11-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Bump Bump Bump

Ronberto
11-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I think we should teach military families how to spend. Oh wait, did i say that out loud? Please don't respond with we need to support out troops. I support them with all my heart. I do believe they should get more, but when i see some (not all) military families I know buying big ticket items that they can't afford it buggs me. The military should teach a basic class on how to handle finances. A lot of these kids fall for the same credit card trap that college kids do. How about trying to set up an aquarium in every class room?

rudy
11-28-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm in for $25.
Can we paypal you?

BumbleBee
11-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Ronberto, I really do see your point, but look around; What charity group out there can you say doesn't mishandle their money? Aquariums in classrooms really don't teach the kids a damn thing more than they aren't learning now.

Ronberto
11-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Bumble Bee,

sorry if i was unclear. I did not state that the charity chosen mishandles their money. I did state though that the charity it supports might. I think a better idea might be to teach the troops how to manage their money.

To your other point, I believe that an aquarium teaches kids alot. First there is the science of learning about ecosystems. Secondly there is teaching kids responsibility and the fragility of life. Third, well you get my drift. Also this beeing a reef forum i thought it would be something that we could all latch on to

BumbleBee
11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
To your other point, I believe that an aquarium teaches kids alot. First there is the science of learning about ecosystems. Secondly there is teaching kids responsibility and the fragility of life. Third, well you get my drift. Also this beeing a reef forum i thought it would be something that we could all latch on to

Only teaches them any of that if there is a teacher to share the knowledge, simply having the tank doesn't do that. But I agree it is an idea, possibly a good idea even, just not complete.

I also agree that teaching people to handle money is an issue, but then again we should be teaching kids that before they become working adults.

In the end if you look hard enough you can find a complaint about any and all charities, it doesn't mean they aren't helping someone

Heather
11-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Victor, remind me to give you some money for this when I see you at the Public Enemy concert next week :)
Oops..the concert isn't this week...it's next Tuesday...my bad! So, how much money have we raised so far? Maybe we can put the money into buying food for a food bank, or toys for the Toys for Tots program? Just an idea since not everyone likes the other one. At least we know the toys go straight to the children of low income families.

Fishaholic
11-28-2006, 07:49 PM
I say you give to a muscular distrophy or mutiple sclorsis charity. Myslef having a muscular disability (fibromyalgia) know more than ever that those people need all the help that they can get!!!

If you get a worthy charity LMK I may be able to get my employer to donate. I can't afford any $ but depending on the charity I have clothes, furniature and other household items :)

Its realy great that there are still good people out there trying to make the world a better place :)

Ronberto
11-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Only teaches them any of that if there is a teacher to share the knowledge, simply having the tank doesn't do that. But I agree it is an idea, possibly a good idea even, just not complete.

I also agree that teaching people to handle money is an issue, but then again we should be teaching kids that before they become working adults.

In the end if you look hard enough you can find a complaint about any and all charities, it doesn't mean they aren't helping someone

Whoa there. I never offered a comprehensive plan for putting tanks in classrooms (I thought a teacher sharing the knowledge was common sense though). I also never said we should be teaching the military about how to handle their finances. You are right about being able to find a complaint about any charity. Actually the way this one runs with no overhead is a great way to run one. I was simply trying to state that another group that we can all get behind might be a better suited for this community.

BumbleBee
11-29-2006, 09:27 AM
I think a better idea might be to teach the troops how to manage their money.

I do like, Heather and Fishaholik 's ideas, all good causes.

Victor, how do you want payments to be made? Paypal seems like a lot of overhead, but driving all the way south seems a far fetch too; maybe mailing M.O's?

Ronberto
11-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Come on now, I didn't mean us, I meant the charity. Yeah the other charities mentioned do seem like a better idea though.

ilikualot
11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
I know that at our school we do spirit of the holidays. A group of kids adopts a family in need and then buys tehm food, gifts, and clothes to make their Christmas pretty cool. I can see if they have an extra family that needs help.

Heather
11-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Hey...check out this thread I just started....It's a very easy way to help get cans of soup donated to San Diego. Campbell's Soup is sponsoring it...
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19396

BumbleBee
12-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Another thought on a charity is toys and things for the kids at Childrens Hospital.

victortrav
12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
OK my wife says toys for tots is a great one or Father Joe im down for either so let me know which of the 2 is it going to be.