PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Tanks

David M
11-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Got ripped today, not even sure what the tally is. For sure is a 75 gallon glass tank, unmistakable because it has NO center brace (wich is why I wanted it). It has the old style brown fake wood trim. Two 1" bulkheads in the back. Also a standard 55 acrylic with black back, TruVue I think. Looks like a couple smaller tanks too, maybe a couple 10's. Also a very nice large piece of driftwood I was gonna use in the FWPT. In the morning when it's light I'll try to figure out what else is missing. It was all in a pile in my driveway, now looks like a hurricane hit it. This happened between 9 and 5 today. Probably needed a truck or at least a large SUV. If anyone offers you a "good deal" on an item that sounds like these beware you may be dealing with a f'ing theif. One thing I can't stand is a theif. :mad:

SolRo
11-15-2006, 08:45 PM
What kind of retard steals aquariums?

Wulfhound
11-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Bummer dude,

Sorry to hear that. That is some messed up sh*&. I will keep an eye out for u

Wulf

Chanas4
11-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Sometimes people assume you are giving it away if it is in the driveway. I have had things taken from my driveway that I am saving for charity. Our neighbors give things away that way so people assume its free.

DaChrisDude
11-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Oh, were those yours?

Sorry, not funny. That really sucks David, sorry to hear that. That's really low.

David M
11-15-2006, 09:04 PM
This stuff was all piled up and covered, right up against my garage door. I'm sure noone thought it was for free for the taking.

BigAir
11-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Time for peeps to keep an eye out at the SV swap meet along with CL.

Chanas4
11-15-2006, 09:08 PM
This stuff was all piled up and covered, right up against my garage door. I'm sure noone thought it was for free for the taking.

Nope it definitely could not have been mistaken for free stuff if it was covered.

slurpeshark
11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
That sucks... especially to such a nice guy... ill keep my eyes open... the clowns are doing wonderful by the way, thank you!

supaboy1981
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Yikes that sucks.

That being said I have a great deal on some 10's and an awesome deal on a 75 with some holes in it. I got these for next to nothing so I am passing the savings on to you guys. And if you buy all of them I can toss in a piece of wood for free!

da6d2003
11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Yikes that sucks.

That being said I have a great deal on some 10's and an awesome deal on a 75 with some holes in it. I got these for next to nothing so I am passing the savings on to you guys. And if you buy all of them I can toss in a piece of wood for free!

Funny! Not.:(

Rushdog86
11-15-2006, 09:20 PM
atleast you know it was probably someone who has been to your house and definately someone who has knows or deals with aquariums. its not too "retarded" to steal fishtanks if your in the hobby, regardless it is retarded to steal in general. --KARMA people-- the reason im sure the person who did it knows about the hobby, is because no one is gonna steal driftwood, did anyone come by and ask to buy the driftwood? i dont know, anyway i wouldnt worry, those items are hard to be unnoticed and this guy better watch out for the terrible bad luck he is going to have soon.

lth03
11-15-2006, 09:36 PM
First time in my life ever heard some one steal an AQUARIUM....
David,you have to pay attention to your fish room now,they might wait for you to walk out for 10 minutes and steal your clown fish too.....

cagirly2006
11-15-2006, 09:59 PM
yeah and for someone to know that aquariums are valuable and easy to sell you for sure know it was someone you might know...Sorry to hear that, everyones just going to have to keep there eyes out!! :(

FishBulb
11-15-2006, 11:15 PM
Can't say i'm even the least bit surprised. Since moving to San Diego I've learned people here will steal ANYTHING! I mean used dirt from a flower pot. I had someone steal lead scuba wieght out of my truck. ***? Who would want to run off with 20lbs of lead? Does it even have any value to anyone else? THe worste part was that he made off with the BCD pockets too so it cost me a ton of money to replace and I'm sure the guy made about $10 tops. I hate to be mean but I really hope that guy gets hit by a car crossing the street someday. Good luck David. I'm sure there is no chance at all of finding your stuff but if I hear anything about a couple of tanks for sale we'll let you know.
FB

supaboy1981
11-16-2006, 01:30 AM
First time in my life ever heard some one steal an AQUARIUM....
David,you have to pay attention to your fish room now,they might wait for you to walk out for 10 minutes and steal your clown fish too.....

YOu should talk to ROn at OG. Actually David I am surprised that you didnt take the lesson from him. I mean it sucks that it got stolen but it was outside in front of your house. In a perfect world nothing would have happend but unfortunatley ...... well you know where I was going with that.

Whats up with the back yard?

SolRo
11-16-2006, 01:33 AM
aquariums are valuable and easy to sell

I dont know, the constant price reductions here say otherwise heh

supaboy1981
11-16-2006, 01:33 AM
Funny! Not.:(

Sorry you have a sucky sense of humor. Why sit here and cry over it? Lesson learned Move on.

I am Sure David Even knows that He just put it up here to blow off some steam and put a "ohh by the way if you hear of some tanks for sale...."

da6d2003
11-16-2006, 10:14 AM
:D It's not so bad

Sorry you have a sucky sense of humor. Why sit here and cry over it? Lesson learned Move on.

I am Sure David Even knows that He just put it up here to blow off some steam and put a "ohh by the way if you hear of some tanks for sale...."

swissfish
11-16-2006, 11:01 AM
that sucks David, but that is just how it is in San Diego. But everything away and lock it up und even then it might get stolen.

David M
11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Well here is the thing, and I am NOT accusing anyone here, but I live on a dead end street and the garage is on an even shorter dead end alley. No through traffic. I do not believe some person at random was passing bye and said " Oh look, some aquariums!". I DO belive they were taken by someone that has been graciously invited to my house and knew that they were there. That makes SDReef people top of the list because they would have the greatest interest in aquariums. Of course other people come and go that would see them too. Landscape guys, housekeepers, etc. So it's not a slam dunk that it was an SDR person but that DOES seem more likey than the neighbors maid ;) Yes of course it could be totally random but when you do the math I think the odds are strongly in favor of "one of our own" being the culprit.

It's not finacially devastating and it's not a huge personal loss, it's just one of those things that erodes your faith in people in general and makes you feel less secure about letting new people into your life. I will probably not be too keen to have any more visitors. Hope you understand.

SDFISHMAN
11-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hear the David.. Didn't this happen last year too?? I had a coupe try to sell my tanks I was washing in the drive way awhile back.. Stupid people didn't know I was cleaning my shotgun in the garage:cool: .. Hopefully you find out who did it and its not another reefer.. I read that your not going to have visitors does that mean your not going to be drilling tanks anymore???

treylane
11-16-2006, 12:32 PM
If you figure out who did this, let me know and I'll bring my baseball bat along to the reckoning.... seriously people, stealing from the LFS is awful and stealing from EACH OTHER is just plain ***!?

SDguy
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Wow David, I'm sooo sorry to hear that. Sucks that a bad seed may ruin things for others (you drilled my tank for me, not sure where I would have gone otherwise...)

I was just thinking to myself as I was reading this thread, "Man, morons here will steal anything..." recounting my own list in my head; dirty Tshirt, wrench, air freshener, 3 hubcaps....then I got to FishBulb's Reply... Thank for a great laugh during a busy day.

hehehe.....used dirt....hehehe :D

brahm
11-16-2006, 12:51 PM
It never ceases to amaze me what retards this hobby attracts. From the cheapest of cheap ass's to the shadiest people around. I've think i've heard it all. .lfs's getting robbed from small scale.. to somebody breaking into aw a few years back and cutting the pumps off the active systems and stealing them.. to readin on rc about people breakin into authors houses and stealing livestock.. sheesh. .i thought this hobby was supposed to be relaxing.

David M
11-16-2006, 12:59 PM
"to somebody breaking into aw a few years back and cutting the pumps off the active systems and stealing them.. "

OK, now THAT is low. I never heard that one before. A few empty tanks is one thing but disabling a live system??

jacksandgo
11-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Hey David, I think your right...it's probably not a random thing and was someone who was there recently. I'd focus the thought process very tightly to begin with in this situation. In particular, focus on anyone new or strange who was there just a few days prior to the stuff getting stolen. Aside from the obvious clown purchases,

-Did you have any work done around the house by someone new who might have cased your place?

-Did any regular visitors, such as the landscaper/gardener, bring anyone different/extra to help them out recently?

===============================================
In my case, the landscaper of 3 years brought someone new to help him out one Saturday. The next day, I notice stuff missing from the back yard patio area.

In a friend's case up in Oceanside, his kid invited a new friend over a couple of times. A couple days after his last visit, someone slips into the house while they're away (someone who figured out their schedule) in the afternoon, and steals jewelry, cash, a digital camera, etc... The kid never shows up again to visit. DUH.
===========================================
I know it's smaller items than aquariums (though just as expensive), but the point is, someone cased the houses who visited with a friend or regular visitor, and came back for stuff fairly soon afterward. They could have just as easily drove a truck or van over and cleaned a lot more out.

So....make a list of who visited and check it out. You may not get them, but at least maybe you can figure out who may have done it for future prevention. We banned the gardener from bringing along "helpers".

swissfish
11-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Imagin this: A guy sits in his living room looking at his stolen aquarium, wich is right next to the stolen x-mass tree, while eating girl scout cookies, he stole from a 6 year old.
What a great life he has!!!

brahm
11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
"to somebody breaking into aw a few years back and cutting the pumps off the active systems and stealing them.. "

OK, now THAT is low. I never heard that one before. A few empty tanks is one thing but disabling a live system??

Ya ask, Ron about it. I guess it was one of the guys or friends of the runs a guy small wholesaler and has a shop up in Dana point.

cagirly2006
11-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Imagin this: A guy sits in his living room looking at his stolen aquarium, wich is right next to the stolen x-mass tree, while eating girl scout cookies, he stole from a 6 year old.
What a great life he has!!!

hahahaha great way too put it...

...And the sad part is that it is most likely true... BUMMER!!

Reefryder
11-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Some people just have no boundries...rules don't apply to them......that really sucks!...sorry for your loss.

Som1else
11-16-2006, 09:13 PM
I've met soo many nice and genuine people from this board its hard to believe anyone here would sink so low, and for what?! a couple hundred bucks? If the ass**** who stole those is reading this, get a JOB idiot.

Mr.Chewbacca
11-16-2006, 09:30 PM
wow
that sucks
those loosers are probably using it as a septic tank
those guys should burn un hell
was it stolen in day time while u were at work r somthiun??

cagirly2006
11-16-2006, 09:34 PM
septic tank? ***???

FishBulb
11-16-2006, 10:04 PM
I've met soo many nice and genuine people from this board its hard to believe anyone here would sink so low, and for what?! a couple hundred bucks? If the ass**** who stole those is reading this, get a JOB idiot.

The thing is, I don't necessarily believe it was someone from this board. I don't believe they made a couple hundred bucks. The great thing about being a bung-hole thief is that everything you steal and sell has a 100% mark up profit. So literally any loser that needs even a couple bucks, like $10 from all of this aquarium stuff, profits. I'm sure these guys are getting nothing at all and don't care. It's really sad. I wish they would have more traps to catch these guys and just send them to "federal pound you in the a$$ prison" (office space quote). I know dozens of people who have had very expensive bicycles stolen off of UCSD's campus. All the bikes were heavy locked up but it doesn't matter. It really frustrates me. Arrrrrg.
FB

Som1else
11-16-2006, 10:07 PM
I hope its worth the beating that they will eventually get, because anyone stupid enough to steal isnt smart enough to get away with it forever.

supaboy1981
11-16-2006, 10:27 PM
I hope its worth the beating that they will eventually get, because anyone stupid enough to steal isnt smart enough to get away with it forever.

Oh how I wish that was true.

Som1else
11-16-2006, 10:43 PM
me too.

lucubrator
11-17-2006, 01:31 AM
That sucks david, but even in Poway I feel like I have to lock my stuff up sometimes. You just never know who's around.

SDFISHMAN - I thought about that tank that was taken a year or so ago too, but if I remember right, it was the guy who was supposed to take it who did.

swissfish
11-17-2006, 08:08 AM

but if you get caught beating that (beep) you are going to prison for doing the right thing. Stupid how that works here, you just cant win.

SDFISHMAN
11-17-2006, 10:04 AM
That sucks david, but even in Poway I feel like I have to lock my stuff up sometimes. You just never know who's around.

SDFISHMAN - I thought about that tank that was taken a year or so ago too, but if I remember right, it was the guy who was supposed to take it who did.

?????????????

lucubrator
11-17-2006, 10:10 AM
?????????????

Sorry to hear the David.. Didn't this happen last year too??

The guy who was supposed to pick it up from him is the guy who took it last time.

SDFISHMAN
11-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Ohhhhhhhh ok....

impreza619
11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Man that sucks. Of all places, in front of your house in that small street. I hope you catch the people or karma catches up with them. Someone stole 2 EMPTY Aquatic Wharehouse jugs from my patio last week, so that shows that some people are really shady. Me and my girlfriend really liked your set ups, and she adored all the little "nemos" swimming around the tank, especially the tiny tiny ones. Well i hope ya still let me drop of some breeding GSM's or false percs some day. Take care!

- Emmer