PDA

View Full Version : antivirus question

alien4fish
11-12-2006, 06:43 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know this may be a dumb quest. but i just bought a laptop and have Nortons on my desk top do i need to put Nortons on my lap top too? this is my 1st lap top so im kinda new at this whole wireless connection thing. does my desk top antivirus carry over to my lap top:confused: ?? any help would be great!
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

july865
11-12-2006, 07:25 AM
i have had norton and mcafee. both are good. but i recommend NOD32. less intrucive, wont hog alot of cpu clock cycles or ram. very large corp use it for their computers. check their site. cant recall off the top of my head. run a google.
if your laptop will be on the net, its safer with it(or any antivirus) than w/o. also get defender(free) and spybot(free). adaware, by lavasoft(also free)

alien4fish
11-12-2006, 08:19 AM
cool thank you i will chek it out, i have nortons on hand so i will install that right awayThank you again

luistwentyone
11-12-2006, 01:56 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know this may be a dumb quest. but i just bought a laptop and have Nortons on my desk top do i need to put Nortons on my lap top too? this is my 1st lap top so im kinda new at this whole wireless connection thing. does my desk top antivirus carry over to my lap top:confused: ?? any help would be great!
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

I would stay away from Norton, I wouldn't install it on my worst enemies computer

we use McAfee at work, and Microsoft Defender, just plain sucks, use Adaware

victortrav
11-12-2006, 02:04 PM
also good pratice is to get a fire wall other than the windows one especially if you have broadband internet

jacksandgo
11-12-2006, 02:42 PM
After 15 years in the Info Tech field, I'd say running Windows without antivirus software is techie suicide. So, find one you like and put it on everything and make sure it autoupdates virus signatures daily.

Personally, I like Norton Antivirus, but only the corporate version which autoupdates virus signature files without a need for annual subscription fees. But not everyone can get it, so most consumers probably haven't used it. Maybe it's just a personal choice, but I think most of the consumer antivirus versions suck. I also stay away from the "all in one" products like Nortons Systemworks and other similar products that suck up resources and do little for you in return.

Firewalls are a given. I disable them on my desktop since I have a hardware firewall via the router. I keep them enabled on laptops that I travel with or take to work/clients locations.

Adaware is good stuff, but it has some quirks. First off, if you keep it auto-enabled at startup and running continuously, it tends to hang your shutdowns on XP Pro occasionally...which is very annoying. Second, if you run it on Windows x64 (64bit version of XP Pro), it will, at some point for no apparent reason, corrupt your registry leaving you with invalid file associations. You're stuck with a situation where you can't launch a program from a freakin' icon. :( This is in spite of many proclamations that it's compatible with 64 bit windows. Yeah...it works...REALLY well at crapping out your x64 installation. Thank goodness for hard drive imaging. Other than that, Adaware is pretty darn good. ;)

alien4fish
11-12-2006, 05:53 PM
yeah i hear what you are saying,i have been having an issue with the wireless card 11mbps(smc) that came with the laptop(disconnecting without any reason)i have a 2wire dsl modem/wireless...I went 2 compusa and p/u a zyxel wifi card ZyAIR-102 @54mbps
I think whats going on is the windows firewall keeps blocking the signalin the network..........now please understand this is my 1st laptop/network so understand that there will be bugs in the sys.but 1 x 1 i will get them stamped out so any info would help soooo much
thank you
kevin

EZSleeper
11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
i started using Kaspersky 6.0, Norton and Mcafee seem to slow my pc down quite a bit. give that a shot

alien4fish
11-12-2006, 06:27 PM
i installed the norton's coz thats what ive got, like I said earlier the bigger problem now is connecting via the wifi wich is soooooooooooo much nicer than being atthe desk top i can go just about any where and be on line now,i think that this the future. im on the laptop now and it cool to be on the sofa typing away

july865
11-12-2006, 09:33 PM
me too. but i use the neighbers wifi....lol
its not all what its cracked up to be.. easly hacked into.... very easy.
besides. there are referendums in line for every city in cali to have wifi for free.. just be patient

Daniel
11-12-2006, 10:07 PM
any of you guys use windows live onecare? http://www.windowsonecare.com/

comes w/a 90 day free trial and costs $20/yr for a subscription for up to 3 computers. (amazon.com)

i just installed mine and it seems to flow well with windows, wanted to see if anyone else is using the same?

motoservdog
11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
i use avg anti-virus from grisoft. been using it for years. it's free and it works. here's a link.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

alex4angela
11-12-2006, 10:54 PM
AVG Anti Virus is all that I use.

alien4fish
11-13-2006, 01:32 AM
i will let you in a good (secret but not so much)one,if you Uninstall nortons At the end of your subscription and reinstall it with your original cd you will be good for another year of subscription FREE all you have to do is down load your virus deff. i have had the same nortons since 2003 and works like a champ!

alien4fish
11-13-2006, 01:34 AM
and i found this out by total accident when i had to replace my hard drive 40 gig to 80 gig i thought that was just the neatest thing

SolRo
11-13-2006, 01:58 AM
I've used AVG, norton, and I beta tested windows one care.

AVG works the best imho. It doesnt hog memory, it's updates are quick and also don't take up a lot of memory, and it's free...can't beat that.

one care and norton hog resources, and they cost $$. That, and I've had spyware get through while using them but none when using AVG.

alien4fish
11-13-2006, 07:40 AM
hey so what's goin to be a good spyware prog. or at least be able clean out the cookies out of the desk top and laptop??

jrjuiliano
11-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Mozilla Firefox. Seriously...

Aside from that, Spybot Search & Destroy is decent. Adaware should do that too I think?

But really, unless you have web sites that absolutely have to use Internet Explorer (like using Active-X controls), then Firefox is a good browser to use! You can simply go to "tools" and then "clear private data".

AndyA1979
11-13-2006, 07:51 AM
AVG is what I use! And I agree with the rest its the best one yet and its free!