PDA

View Full Version : Computer ????

swissfish
11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
I am stuck at work with being the it guy, because the IT guy is on assingnment. Well I am next in line and have to deal with PC stuff now instead of doing my work:)
Here is the question:

Computer motherboard went out and i need that computer running now! Basicly i just need the data from the HD. Can i just get a new computer locally and slave the HD with the data of the HD one that comes with it?
Do i have to erase the OS from the slave HD?
Any problems with the drivers on the slave HD?
Basicly it just has to work for a week untill the it guy can deal with it:D

Thanks Guys

cagirly2006
11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
ask danny!! :D he'll definetely know!! i think :/

SanDiegoIllini
11-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I am stuck at work with being the it guy, because the IT guy is on assingnment. Well I am next in line and have to deal with PC stuff now instead of doing my work:)
Here is the question:

Computer motherboard went out and i need that computer running now! Basicly i just need the data from the HD. Can i just get a new computer locally and slave the HD with the data of the HD one that comes with it?
Do i have to erase the OS from the slave HD?
Any problems with the drivers on the slave HD?
Basicly it just has to work for a week untill the it guy can deal with it:D

Thanks Guys

I have done what you are describing with Windows XP, and it worked for me. Windows XP did not need to erase the slave HD before recognizing it in my case.

But...

If you are not comfortable with jumpers, drivers, or risking a working computer, etc there is another option. For about $30 you can buy a USB Hard Drive enclosure. You place an internal (IDE) hard drive into the enclosure, and then just plug the USB cord into your working computer. The HDD should be recognized just like a memory stick or external USB HDD.

The drawbacks are that USB is a little slower for data transfer, and it's harder to boot off of a USB device. It sounds like neither of these would be an issue in your case, where you just want the data off of the drive. And if you could convince your employer to purchase it, then it would be useful for 'next time' as opposed to your labor tearing open computers which is more sunk costs. I have never personally used one of these enclosure/cradles, but I know people who have.

If I was you, I would probably try this first. At work, time is money, so let the $30 solve your problems.

luistwentyone
11-03-2006, 10:09 AM
slave it, but do not boot from it. as a slave you shuold be able to read\copy the data, but do not attempt to click on any of the executables

luistwentyone
11-03-2006, 10:26 AM
found out it's not the data he's after, but the software installed. This was a work station with all data saved to a server and backed up daily. The only solutions I see is replacing MB or the comp with software reinstalled or maybe trying to use the old HD as master on new set up. Which doesn't always work due to newer equipment being dicovered by the OS.

it don't sound good for him

dhuynh
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
Bruno called.

It's just quickbooks data. Do what everyone is telling you:

- slave it to another computer (DO NOT boot it)
- install quickbooks on the other computer

If you absolutely have to get this computer running, here's a few hints:
- If you can't replace w/ the exact same board, then at least replace w/ the same chipset
- If not the same board, then boot into safe mode and remove the USB, chipset stuff from the device manager
- Once you do that, boot from it and it'll detect all type of stuff.
- This will ONLY be TEMPORARY so don't expect it to be stable.

Slave the drive and backup your data first!

When all is done, it's time to take a look at your disaster recovery plan. What happen if the IT guy is not there, if you're not there, where's the documentation, who do you call, etc.. this stuff should be written out and tested.

Good luck Bruno. Call me if you need help.

-Danny

swissfish
11-03-2006, 11:44 AM
thanks guys, new computer is comming and everything will be good.