PDA

View Full Version : Feel like I'm in HS again!

BumbleBee
10-30-2006, 02:10 PM
I had the most bizarre thing happen today. Ok I kind of have a stong personality among other traits, well I like to wear semi to fairly offensive t-shirts. I mean if you take a t-shirt personally, you have a problem. Well I wore one today that I've had for like a year, and have worn many times to both offices I work in, and for some reason several people got very offended by it. Granted it has some profanity on it, but then again I go by the speach of people here in deciding that the profanity wasn't a problem. I mean realistically if people are saying it, it should be ok to have on a tshirt right? WRONG, I was asked to cover it or change, and not to wear shirts with profanity in the future. So I resonded by saying that if I couldn't wear it then I didn't want to hear it in the office either... and the GM had the nuts to tell me that she tries to stop any profanity she is aware of. Give me a break!!!!! :rolleyes: Even the freakin owner of the company who works there, his son who is the office manager in my office, and at least 3 other managers I can think of use profanity on a daily basis in regular conversation.

If profanity is offensive and can't be used, then why are conversations about religion or politics allowed? Those are just as offensive to some! And how can you sensor written profanity and not the spoken???

Ok vent over! Has anyone else had something like that happen?

cagirly2006
10-30-2006, 02:15 PM
what did the shirt say? LOL

BumbleBee
10-30-2006, 02:28 PM
HAHA... I'm perty sure it would be sensored if I put it up here but I'll give you jist...

Front = There's a *********' As***** lookin at me
Back = Still lookin at me

I agree it's totally offensive, but no more than what I normally wear, it's just a lot of them don't actually use profanity. But still if you can say it, it's dumb that you can't wear it!

cagirly2006
10-30-2006, 02:29 PM
HAHA LMAO thats funny ****!! i've never seen that b4... :D

brncsfns5621
10-30-2006, 02:35 PM
I personally find it ******** offensive and would appreciate that you do not use that type of ******** language here......

cagirly2006
10-30-2006, 02:36 PM
:/.....

BumbleBee
10-30-2006, 02:37 PM
ROFLMFAO.... LOL that is exactly how I felt this morning brncsfns5621! That is almost how it was said to me too, but totally serious, at first I didn't know whether or not to take it seriously!

Ashley: A friend FROM THE OFFICE bought it for me online. I can send you the site if you want in a pm, they have the most offensive yet hilarious shirts I've ever seen!

cagirly2006
10-30-2006, 02:39 PM
haha well i wouldnt be buying any but it is super funny!! i've heard and seen lots but never that one!! lol

and i hope he ^^^ wasnt being serious!! lol

dhuynh
10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Well... here's how I see it...

If you work in like a warehouse where potential clients or customers won't see you, then wear whatever you want as long as it's not distracting to your co-workers.

If you're working in a regular business office, then it's probably not a good idea to well something like that around.

Then.. superceding all of that.... if you're HOT, then wear whatever that ******* you want. :-D

BumbleBee
10-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Most ppl wouldn't buy them, but they are pretty funny to read. Personally I love that one. I bought my MIL one that said "******* Chuck" with a pic of Chuck Norris on it, cause FIL name is Chuck.... spose that one is offensive too huh... Where is the line drawn for being offensive and not appropriate? I mean seriously! It really offends me when this one guy comes into the office smelling like he hasn't taken a shower in a week. It offends me that the bible thumper of the office (no offense to anyone who is religious here) who is quitting his job, buying an RV and taking his wife and kids on the road and homeschooling them tries to preach me into heaven. It offends me when the *** guy in the office insists that when you have a problem with his work it's because he's *** not that his work sucks. But I don't say anything about it. It's like ppl being offended by the cross on Soledad, or prayer in school, or Janet Jacksons boob on tv! Grow the F up already ppl!

BumbleBee
10-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Well... here's how I see it... if you're HOT, then wear whatever that ******* you want. :-D

LOL.

But, I work in an office, normally in one with a very private office, Chris can attest to that he saw it when he dropped off a light. The office in Carlsbad has cubes, I was working with three ppl today, one cusses like a sailor, one was my manager who thought it was funny but she'd never wear it, and one who didn't care at all... The one who said they wouldn't let their employee wear it, was the guy who cusses like a sailor :rolleyes:

cagirly2006
10-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Then.. superceding all of that.... if you're HOT, then wear whatever that ******* you want. :-D

haha funny *****!!

brncsfns5621
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
HEY!!! I'm a Sailor and offended by that statement!

brncsfns5621
10-30-2006, 03:03 PM
You should get a shirt made that says "If you are offended by this shirt, then don't ******** read it!"

cagirly2006
10-30-2006, 03:08 PM
You should get a shirt made that says "If you are offended by this shirt, then don't ******** read it!"

haha someone posted today that they can put logos on hats and stuff, maybe he'll make you a shirt like that and then you can where that to work and see what he says!! lol

BumbleBee
10-30-2006, 03:25 PM
ROFLMFAO ... too funny. It's been one of those things that I just I'm just floored by. Apparently these ppl don't watch tv either huh?

DiverDave
10-30-2006, 05:15 PM
When I was in high school I went to a business to pick up an application for employment wearing a shirt that said, "OFFICIAL BIKINI INSPECTOR, WAKIKI HI". The woman who gave me an application asked if I felt that it was appropriate to wear that shirt when applying for a job. This job was at a roller rink as a DJ. I wanted the job, and needless to say I was in slacks and a button up shirt when I returned with the application where I made sure that I made direct contact with her. Got the job.

brahm
10-30-2006, 05:22 PM
pshh in high school i couldn't have gotten away wearing a shirt like that.. they would have made me turn it inside out.

lucubrator
10-30-2006, 06:54 PM
At MY HIGH SCHOOL, (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,192527,00.html) these things go to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

BumbleBee
10-30-2006, 06:58 PM
yeah but seriously, in a place full of adults who use that kind of language anyways... I really don't see what the problem was. It's so retarded!

SA_Fox_Mulder
10-31-2006, 01:51 AM
I had the most bizarre thing happen today. Ok I kind of have a stong personality among other traits, well I like to wear semi to fairly offensive t-shirts. I mean if you take a t-shirt personally, you have a problem. Well I wore one today that I've had for like a year, and have worn many times to both offices I work in, and for some reason several people got very offended by it. Granted it has some profanity on it, but then again I go by the speach of people here in deciding that the profanity wasn't a problem. I mean realistically if people are saying it, it should be ok to have on a tshirt right? WRONG, I was asked to cover it or change, and not to wear shirts with profanity in the future. So I resonded by saying that if I couldn't wear it then I didn't want to hear it in the office either... and the GM had the nuts to tell me that she tries to stop any profanity she is aware of. Give me a break!!!!! :rolleyes: Even the freakin owner of the company who works there, his son who is the office manager in my office, and at least 3 other managers I can think of use profanity on a daily basis in regular conversation.

If profanity is offensive and can't be used, then why are conversations about religion or politics allowed? Those are just as offensive to some! And how can you sensor written profanity and not the spoken???

Ok vent over! Has anyone else had something like that happen?

It sounds like you felt like you were in Highschool because you refuse to grow up.

Good Luck on that...

BumbleBee
10-31-2006, 09:08 AM
It sounds like you felt like you were in Highschool because you refuse to grow up.

Good Luck on that...

How is that? Please enlighten me. Is it because I don't like double standards, and in the workplace more time should be spent worrying about work and not what office politics are going on?

brahm
10-31-2006, 09:19 AM

Good Luck on that...

ooh ahh. he says that thing we all were thinking ;)

BumbleBee
10-31-2006, 09:25 AM

Since you agree with him, then maybe you can enlighten me...

DiverDave
10-31-2006, 09:39 AM
You've stated that you've heard other workers in your employment use words similar to what you had printed on your shirt. I would assume that 1) they did not know that you were in their presence, 2) that they knew you were in their presence and did not believe that you would be offended, or 3) they did not believe that anyone in thier presence would be offended by thier verbal usage. The context in which they used thier language plays an integral part in the words meaning. For instance the word ****. Used as a noun, "That's a big pile of dog **** in the parking lot", may not be offensive as "dog" is the adjective describing the type of "****". Likewise, **** can be used as an adjective, "You are a **** head", where "head" is the noun and "****" describes the type of head being refered to. This is not a personal attack at you, but I would suspect that your shirt may have had a similar impact to the other workers in your area. You wouldn't like being refered to as a "**** head" anymore than someone else being refered to as a ********** A******.

BumbleBee
10-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Trust me, these people don't care who they slur or offend using profanity or many other things I would find questionable saying. But, I understand your reasoning, but here's mine... which "grown-up" that you know would take a t-shirt personally? If you saw someone walking down the street wearing a shirt like that I doubt you would assume they were talking about you. I have quite a selection of t-shirts that would be offensive, most of them just don't have profanity. Someone wearing a shirt one day doesn't seem like something that should offend someone so much to be asked to cover it or leave... Especially not when they are running around to half of the rest of the office describing the shirt and how they asked you to cover it up. That in itself defeats the purpose of covering it.

Let me edit this and say that I'm not trying to start a controversy, and I certainly don't take any of it personally. I'm just trying to understand from anothers perspective...

brahm
10-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Since you agree with him, then maybe you can enlighten me...

One word..

Discretion

dbrooks
10-31-2006, 10:02 AM

I'll second that. If you worked for my company and showed up with a shirt like that I would give you a written warning. On second offense, you would be fired.

Grow up.

BumbleBee
10-31-2006, 10:07 AM
I'll second that. If you worked for my company and showed up with a shirt like that I would give you a written warning. On second offense, you would be fired.

Grow up.

And yet as I've said I've worn this shirt on many many occasions and this was the first time something was said about it. And I assume that your company is much more professional than this. The basic dress code for the place is not to show up in Pj's.

BumbleBee
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
One word..

Discretion

And having worked with this group of people for 4 years, knowing who was there and the type of personalities and use of such language and entertainment by such jokes... Using the definitions that google brought up:
freedom to act or judge on one's own
knowing how to avoid embarrassment or distress; "the servants showed great tact and discretion"
delicacy: refined taste; tact
free will: the power of making free choices unconstrained by external agencies
the trait of judging wisely and objectively; "a man of discernment"

In one's discretion it would have been perfectly acceptable, especially being that it was done before with no negative reaction.

brahm
10-31-2006, 11:06 AM
"childish are you..yess yess..hmmm hmmm hmmm..likes to argue for sake of arguing hmm hm mhmm hmm.. waste conversation no longer.. hmm hmm hmm.. " - Yoda.

cagirly2006
10-31-2006, 11:09 AM
hahahah