PDA

View Full Version : Scientific calculators?

BigAir
10-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Anybody know of a good sci calc that is NOT a TI, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I use them in machining, so a rather harsh enviroment is always present.
Thanks

Reason for not wanting TI is I just bought 1, and the memory is not working properly. Will not take memory, and if it does, it will not recall it. Mem/rcl is a very important feature when doing complex calcs, as I am sure most of you know. Yes I replaced the batteries, but still no worky.

SolRo
10-28-2006, 03:39 PM
Are you doing exactly what it says in the instructions and still doesnt hold mem?

BigAir
10-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Yup, it is a case of the button works and then doesn't. It is taking memory sometimes, but will not recall ever. Also will not clear the memory.

SolRo
10-28-2006, 03:46 PM
That's wierd.

But you know, if you doing a lot of complex calcs all the time, and mem feature is very important, you might want to consider investing in a graphing calc, they can do a lot more a lot faster, and they save the last 30 lines of problems for easy re-use.

BigAir
10-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Ya, that may be the way to go. I have left the batteries out for the last 2 hours so it would reset. That and rereading the manual I figured it out. Did not click with me that this thing has 3 memory spots, and needs to be manually cleared out.
OK so I am the idiot of the day.:D

lucubrator
10-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Graphing calcs also have 26 (a-z) easy to access places to store values, and will let you do stuff like a*b/c^2, if you need that.

treylane
10-28-2006, 08:15 PM
I've got an HP 48G layin around here somewhere. Loved the thing back when I had a use for it. RPN, ruggedly built, and can do some cool tricks.

ilikualot
10-28-2006, 08:21 PM
If you need help programing some formulas in there I could help a bit. I use the TI in the classroom all the time.

jharr
10-29-2006, 09:24 AM
RPN rocks. I can barely use a calculator with an "=" anymore. HP all the way.

I've got an HP 48G layin around here somewhere. Loved the thing back when I had a use for it. RPN, ruggedly built, and can do some cool tricks.