PDA

View Full Version : My new Nano

AquaBoB
10-13-2006, 10:37 PM
This is my my little 10 gallon nano tank. Right now it is still cycling. The setup right now is minimul: just florecent lights, bio wheel filter, removed airstone as recommeded by PhishPhood, thanks that helped alot with the salt creep. i plan to keep the bio wheel until i have some good live rock

Im moved the tank on a stand and drain the tank with a back pac stlye over flow to a thirty gallon rubbermaid sump with a tenka series filter system and a maxijet 2100 return pump that produces a water turnover of 10 times/ hour. also will be switching to full spectrum Florecents ior PC's in near future.

This is my first real attempt at a marine tank but every thing i have was given to me and i plan to make the most of it. i have researched exstinsivley in the subject and am confident i can create my own little piece of the ocean with enough time.

current Inhabitatints include a yellow tail damsel, striped damsel, and four hermit crabs. I am looking for some LR or rubble, or live sand to add to help it cycle if any body has extra that they are willing to PIF i would certantly do the same as mine becomes established.

My ultimate goal is a Nano reef with about 10-15 Lbs. Live rock,sea anemones and assorted corals, and a 1-2 reef safe fish

crstjohn
10-13-2006, 10:51 PM
It's a start! Anemones can be hard to keep alive from my experience with them. I have two small ones now because my one split. Not sure what kind it is, came on a piece of LR w/ mushrooms that was one of the 1st pieces I got. It has continued to grow but I have lost 3 RBTA's and a green carpet. Let it get established for about 6 mos. before you try an anemone.

DaChrisDude
10-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Welcome to both SDreefs and the ever exciting and often exhausting hobby of saltwater aquaria!

Looks like a good start for your tank, keep us updated!

My advice: READ, READ, READ! Read everything you can about SW aquariums and don't be afrait to ask questions

phishphood
10-14-2006, 02:53 AM
Welcome to the hobby. Like Chris said, read read read. Also...don't skimp when you're buying equipment. I know what it's like when you first get into it and often times you're tempted to buy a cheaper item. However, you really get what you pay for in this hobby. Take your time and spend your money wisely. Read as many reviews of products that you can as well as ask questions before you buy things. In the meantime, I'd suggest buying some liverock so you can cycle that along with your tank. Several members have it for sale for $2-$3 on the boards here. Also, get rid of the airpump/stone as all of the fine bubbles will cause salt creep (you get a lot of dried salt along the tank and anything around it). The biowheel should also go. Keep the filter for water movement right now until you find suitable powerheads. IMO (in my opinion) I would try to buy these in order: test kit/hydrometer or refractometer, LR, powerheads, lights, skimmer (if needed). Since you have a smaller sized tank, the use of a skimmer is entirely dependent on your bioload and how often/reliably you do water changes. Goodluck and have fun. Read and ask away. Also, check out this link:
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13203

Wulfhound
10-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Hey all,

This is my son, he is high speed about this hobbie he eventually would like to get a larger tank. He is resaearching alot everyday I come home the kid has learned somthing else about the equipment ie.. how to make things himself and what the aquaria require. take care of this dude and plse help him out

Thanks,
Wulf

AquaBoB
10-14-2006, 08:55 PM
thanks for all the support ive been doing alot of reasearch and doing regular water tests. It has been up for two weeks now and;

Spec. Gravity: 1.022
Ph:8.0
Ammonia:0.6
Nitrites:really high
nitrate:10

I just installed a power head today which greatly improved the flow.

Thanks again.

lucubrator
10-15-2006, 12:16 AM
You can click the edit button and fix posts for a little while. No need to get cut off.

Edit, I agree with most everything that mitch said, though I might switch the order of test kits and live rock. Before you buy any more live stock, you'll want more rock.

AquaBoB
10-15-2006, 11:56 AM
yea i really need to get some live rock, unfortunatly i spent most of my cash on a power head yesterday so im going to have to wait a little while before i do that, but i will be looking for some within a couple of weeks.