PDA

View Full Version : 150 gallon glass beauty

Vayder1
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Well I finally did it. After a year of reefkeeping with mostly up's and a few downs, I moved to a bigger tank. My 55 gal will soon be up for sale, along with my "current" 4x65w hood, and misc. equipment. Now on to the reason your reading this.

Tank info:
5'x2'x2'
Stand: 3'
Canopy: 1'

Skimmer: Some German made thing, I have no idea who makes it.... all I know its producing foam like mad

Return pump: Pan World 100 PX-X with 1" then going down to 3/4"

Lighting: Dual 250W HQI ballast with Mogul 20k bulbs & moon lights

Fuge: N/A at this time

Sump: I think its 30 gallons

San bed: 200lbs I only seeded it with maybe 10lbs of my original because it was soooo nasty.

LR: 85-90lbs and yes I will be adding, so if anyone is getting rid of some please LMK

Corals: Same as my old 55, I can't wait to fill this new tank up, and have my wife say "honey doesn't it look crowded in there with corals" :D

ok on to the pics:

Full Shot:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/full_view-1.jpg

Right side:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/right_side.jpg

Left side:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/left_side.jpg

Middle:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/middle.jpg

Left profile:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/left_profile.jpg

Right profile:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/right_profile.jpg

Sump:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/sump.jpg

Plumbing:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/plumbing.jpg

Return pump:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/vayder1/returnpump.jpg

Thanks to all who helped answer questions about moving on the board and plumbing advice. I do have more bubbles in the tank than I anticipated, I would love some advice. Also I'm not used to water evaporating like crazy, I think I lost 2 gallons during 1 light cycle. Get those frags out, I'll be hunting for them.

I love this board !!!

Advice & critic welcome

GoTakuF1
10-01-2006, 08:27 PM
The skimmer looks like a DAS BX1, good score!

Daniel
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
oh man, that's an awesome looking display you got there. i like the way you've got everything hidden. can you tell us more about your water flow? are you only running circulation with 1 return pump? (is there a closed loop hidden somewhere?) it looks like the pump splits into the two returns out of the overflow area, but what's that white PVC part for on the upper left?

lucubrator
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Those are great dimensions for a tank. Bubbles are expected in the first week or so, and should calm down as the pipes "slime up." Keep us updated.

DaChrisDude
10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Looks awesome vaydor! I'm jealous! Aquascaping looks very good and you've got some gorgeous corals. I was also wondering about the circulation...

Vayder1
10-02-2006, 07:27 AM
oh man, that's an awesome looking display you got there. i like the way you've got everything hidden. can you tell us more about your water flow? are you only running circulation with 1 return pump? (is there a closed loop hidden somewhere?) it looks like the pump splits into the two returns out of the overflow area, but what's that white PVC part for on the upper left?

Ok, I have only 1 return pump. I have a 2" drain with a duraso pipe in there.

After the water goes into the sump and heads to the return pump (1" PVC), it goes up, T's off to my chiller (5/8" vinyl). The rest of the pipe goes up and T's (3/4" PVC) for the 2 returns.

The white on the upper left is a return, and right next to it is my chiller return line. On the right I have a sea-swirl, and I'm planning on getting one for the left when I can find another used one.

No closed loop for now. I wasn't comfortable having the tank drilled for closed loop, and I really didn't want to have to move it again. I think the tank by it self weighs close to 300lbs. I was freaking out I might drop it when I moved it with 1 other person.

So thats the basic plumbing, I have little holes driled in the return lines right at water level so I don't get a back siphon if a power outage were to occur. There is 2 bulk heads that are capped in the overflow box, I guess I could use those for a closed loop if I had some room in there which I don't right now.

Vayder1
10-02-2006, 07:33 AM
The skimmer looks like a DAS BX1, good score!
After looking online, I think its the BX2, the footprint on this thing is huge. Anyway it skims like mad, so I'm happy, and more important my coral & fish are happy :D

If anyone wants to see it in person send me a PM, I'm usually home in the evenings.

GoTakuF1
10-02-2006, 09:25 AM
After looking online, I think its the BX2, the footprint on this thing is huge. Anyway it skims like mad, so I'm happy, and more important my coral & fish are happy :D

If anyone wants to see it in person send me a PM, I'm usually home in the evenings.

The DAS skimmers work very well. Deltecs are basically rebadged DAS. The BX-# indicates how many Aquabee pumps are used.

Vayder1
10-02-2006, 09:42 AM
The DAS skimmers work very well. Deltecs are basically rebadged DAS. The BX-# indicates how many Aquabee pumps are used.

There are 2 pumps in the skimmer.

I think I have electrical current running through my tank.

Any way to test it, and if I do have electricity, how do I ground the tank?

luistwentyone
10-02-2006, 09:51 AM

what makes you say that ?

and how much are you going to want for your current 4x65w hood ?

Vayder1
10-02-2006, 09:57 AM
what makes you say that ?

and how much are you going to want for your current 4x65w hood ?

I felt like I was getting a little "zap" when I put my finer in certain parts of the tank. At first I thought it was some small cuts on my finger, but then my brother did the same thing, and said he felt a little zap too.

As for the hood I bought it new from OG for $280, and I was thinking somewhere around half that.

MarLooney
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM
There are 2 pumps in the skimmer.

Any way to test it, and if I do have electricity, how do I ground the tank?

If you have a cut on your hand... it's easy. Stick it in the tank. You'll know! If not, don't cut yourself. Find someone with an abrasion and ask them, don't tell 'em why though__ should be fun if you do have extra current.

Anyway, tank looks good. You've got yourself a nice lil collection there. Can't wait to see what it turns into once you get more rock in there. Keep us updated.

chilly05willy
10-09-2006, 12:01 AM
awesome tank Tom! Love that hot pink yuma in the front! Great job :)

crstjohn
10-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Very nice looking tank! Water looks very clear as well. It appears that the only electrical device in your tank iw the sea swirl. Try turning it off and see if you still feel any current. Ideally, all of the electrical components should be running through a GFCI. I replaced my regular wall outlet with one, plugged in a Kill-O-Watt device (tell you how much power you are using) and have three power strips in series, all connected to the one outlet. Also, try to get all of you power strips mounted so all plugs are located above the sump and all cords have drip loops. This will also help prevent dripping water into the outlets when working in the sump. Looks like you have a nice spot on the wall behind the return pump to mount all this. Keep us posted, looks great!

Vayder1
10-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Very nice looking tank! Water looks very clear as well. It appears that the only electrical device in your tank iw the sea swirl. Try turning it off and see if you still feel any current. Ideally, all of the electrical components should be running through a GFCI. I replaced my regular wall outlet with one, plugged in a Kill-O-Watt device (tell you how much power you are using) and have three power strips in series, all connected to the one outlet. Also, try to get all of you power strips mounted so all plugs are located above the sump and all cords have drip loops. This will also help prevent dripping water into the outlets when working in the sump. Looks like you have a nice spot on the wall behind the return pump to mount all this. Keep us posted, looks great!

I've come to the conclusion it was just small cuts on my fingers from moving all the LR. I don't feel anything now when I stick my fingers in.

I do have a GFI breaker for all the electrical, and I'm going to mount all the power strips this weekend.

What is a drip loop?

I'm adding a CA reactor this week, and last weekend I picked up 5 frags from Jasper!!!

I'm looking for a red brain and acans right now if anyone has any for sale/trade etc.

crstjohn
10-10-2006, 03:00 PM
What is a drip loop?
The power cord is shaped in a U so any water that may possibly run down the cord will "drip" befor getting into the electrical outlet.

dhuynh
10-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Is that a red yuma? Wanna sell or trade it for something? :)

bigdisneykid
10-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Tank looks very nice. Love the colors. Good job.

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Is that a red yuma? Wanna sell or trade it for something? :)

Its a pink yuma - the "Holy Grail" of yumas. Maybe one day if it ever splits, but I've had it now for about 9 months, and I've seen little growth. I'm actually just happy that its alive, I've heard the mortality rates on these are high.

TY BidDisney for the compliments. If you or anyone ever wants to stop by and check it in person I love vistors, send me a PM.

Mikey
10-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Vayder1 =) My pink yuma is coming soon..I'll take pics when its settled in its new home

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Vayder1 =) My pink yuma is coming soon..I'll take pics when its settled in its new home

Sweet!!! Did you get the one off ebay I showed you? or did you find another one somewhere else?

Mikey
10-26-2006, 04:05 PM
The one off ebay looked a little funky =\ So I asked a friend in LA to look around for me. I'm not sure if its purple base like yours but its definetly pink similar to this...

http://netnoobie.net/images/yuma.jpg

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Here is a close up of mine

Nigritude
10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
daaayeeem!! SO PRETTY!

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
I've re-done the rockscape. I'm not totally satisfied at this point, but I don't really want to go through another 4 hr ordeal re-aranging just yet. I probably will over turkey-day weekend.

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Orange digi. TY Jasper
Purple monti. Ty Jasper

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Curtosy of Harold @ Fragcity - go check out his stuff its well worth it :D

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Got this baby from BR the day they opened for $30 I think. He's grown nicely over the year, I hope my GSP doesn't cover him up, no wait that's a Matt Hughes clam, I don't think GSP could ever get to him (hahaha) :p

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Got a few off ebay, I think they were all $15 bucks each plus lame shipping :( , but I combined ;) so not so bad.

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Left, middle & right.

Chanas4
10-26-2006, 07:52 PM
How do you rerockscape if the corals attach themselves?

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 07:54 PM
New red brain :D

Thats all for now. My next mission is a school of Anthias, which I'm buying 6 off another member. They are Bartlets incase anyone is wondering.

Vayder1
10-26-2006, 08:06 PM
How do you rerockscape if the corals attach themselves?
Aww, that is a good question young grasshopper. I have been careful in placing my corals so that few are actually attached to the rock. But for the ones that are its not that hard, simply put the ones that need a lot of light near the top, and the ones that don't near the bottom. Remember, keep it simple.

crstjohn
10-26-2006, 08:08 PM
V, nice tank. very nice!

Vayder1
10-27-2006, 06:35 AM
V, nice tank. very nice!

Thanks,

I almost forgot my other stony from Jasper, he said its a green birds nest but someone else told me otherwise, anyone care to clarify.

lucubrator
10-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Jasper bought it, he knows what he's telling you.
For more evidence, it's an ora coral:
http://www.orafarm.com/images/green_bird.jpg

Vayder1
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Man it was a pain to get these guys to eat at first, and I lost 1 of the 8 in the first couple of days, but I'm really stoked that I have 7 of these guys that are healthy. They are still a little shy at times.

Vayder1
01-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Vayder1
01-01-2007, 10:46 PM

Vayder1
01-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Those are beauties, WOW. Those are some nice colors in the pics. Magic?
Magic? uh, I took those shots with a kodak easyshare Z760, and I actually lightened them a bit cause they were a little dark, but the fish have truly amazing color.

DaveMorris
01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
I love your tank! It looks great. Keep up the pics.

[G]h0s']['
01-02-2007, 12:15 AM
love them anthias! beautiful tank, btw.

Noob
01-02-2007, 12:19 AM
wow....just wow

Jas0863
01-02-2007, 03:06 AM
The GBN was purchased from ORA and it's true it can be mis-identified. The Seriatopora and Stylophora are very alike with the latter having round tips. However, the GBN is the only one that's almost identical. When I first got it, definitely a GBN(Seriatopora), but once it adapted to my tank environment, it begun to look like a Green Stylophora(Pistillata). From my experience, different tanks environment causes changes in corals. However, I'm going to continue to name as per it's original characteristics of the GBN. Here's the link to ORA: http://www.orafarm.com/corals.html

Vayder1
01-02-2007, 09:37 AM
The GBN was purchased from ORA and it's true it can be mis-identified. The Seriatopora and Stylophora are very alike with the latter having round tips. However, the GBN is the only one that's almost identical. When I first got it, definitely a GBN(Seriatopora), but once it adapted to my tank environment, it begun to look like a Green Stylophora(Pistillata). From my experience, different tanks environment causes changes in corals. However, I'm going to continue to name as per it's original characteristics of the GBN. Here's the link to ORA: http://www.orafarm.com/corals.html

Thanks for the clarification Jasper :D

cagirly2006
01-02-2007, 09:58 AM
wow i love them!! i want a school of fish like that!! very nice job!! im jealous...when i get a bigger tank im definetely doing that!!

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:10 PM
A few ppl have asked about it lately so I thought I'd throw up a current pic.

A little history on this piece: I bought it from Will when he owned Global aquatics almost 2 years ago for $150. So I'm quite proud that its still alive considering these have a high mortality rate.

Split? Well it hasn't split yet and its nearly doubled in size, was about 1 1/2 - 2" when I bought it and now its over 3 1/2" and no I'm not selling or trading it, but your welcome to stop by and check it out if you wanna see it.

Will I frag this piece: I will not frag the mother colony, but if it splits I will try to frag any babies. I read a great article here from a guy who's been farming corals for around 20 yrs and has a ton of experience fragging yumas. http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/html/SSISSUE4_04.pdf
(http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/includes/languages/english/html/SSISSUE4_04.pdf)
I keep this about 2/3 down on the tank with minimal flow and filtered light. I don't feed it either. Guess I'm just lucky.

Enjoy

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Got these Zoas from Vets Pets. Really nice quality for a great price.

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:18 PM
Got these from Harold @ Fragcity. I could afford the whole colony, so Harold fragged it for me. That's what I love about Harold always willing to make his customers happy :D

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:21 PM
I bought this clown as a "Saddle Back" but I've been told its a black perc, and a few other names. Any clown experts care to jump in?

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Black clown - what is it?

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Here is one of the frags I picked up from Jasper this weekend.

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:23 PM
The pink birds nest.

Vayder1
10-28-2007, 03:31 PM
The good news: I'm still reefing and plugging away at all the challenges that have come my way. I picked up and Idaho grape from Jasper as a 2" frag about 6 months ago that now is 8" in diam.
RBTA just split
All the basic stuff is growing crazy.

The bad: My school of anthias all died :( Those fish are high maintenance and require feeding 3x's a day preferably. I got busy this summer and couldn't give them the care they needed.

I had a mold problem 2 weeks ago which I posted a thread and nobody thought that it would affect my tank. Let me say this: I lost more corals that week than I ever have and all my levels were normal:
Nitrate 0
Calcium 370
PH 8.3
Alk 11
SG 1.025

I had corals that were growing like crazy for over a year just melt down on me. Now everything is doing fine since the floor was repaired. A coincidence??? I think not.

As always any input or questions are welcome,

Tom

GoTakuF1
10-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Lookin' good Tom. Keep up the fine work.

ManTis
10-28-2007, 10:19 PM
nice tank..........
it a black saddle back clown..........very nice by the way.....
had a pair, sister brought them mistaken them for black O clowns.....