PDA

View Full Version : Buncha FNG questions and advice wanted!

SDMike
01-17-2004, 01:05 PM
All right, I'm new (sorta) to this reef thing and am about confused as sh!t about a few things.

I did a lot of research when I was in college, but that was in the late 80s and LOTS has changed since.

To plenum or not to plenum? I just bought the stuff I need to make one, but I haven't started building yet.

DSB or not to DSB?

are my 2x65w PCs enough for a 29gal reef that doesn't have SPS corals in it (yet)?

HOB fuge? when do I "need" one?

What to do? what to do?

I've been surfing nano-reef and RC and am about confused as all get out at the moment!

What I've got so far:

CPR Bak Pak 2R with overflow (coming)
2 Via Aqua PHs (at $7/ea I can live with them burning out)
heater
2x65w Coralife PC light unit
29gal tank + stand

I'm pretty sure that I need a test kit, a better hydrometer, LS and LR, and of course patience!

What am I missing?

Mike

nalbar
01-17-2004, 01:13 PM
nothing.

all of us eventually upgrade our lights (or want to) but that wont stop you from getting started.

i say, go for it.

put the fuge on whenever you want. many don't even have them. the most efficent filter you can have is LIVE ROCK, which makes fuges over-rated for this purpose. a 'fuge' is a 'refuge', meaning a safe place for organisms to reproduce.

personally i would forgo the plenum. but others swear by them. and forget the DSB. both of these items take up space, which on smaller tanks is valuable.

nalbar

suver569
01-17-2004, 02:17 PM
[i]Originally posted by SDMike

To plenum or not to plenum? I just bought the stuff I need to make one, but I haven't started building yet.

I say no. Plenums cause more work than necessary. Pretty obsolete IMO.

DSB or not to DSB? - Hell yes. DSB is the only way to go IMO. Get a cleanup crew (crabs and snails, maybe a serpent star to disturb the bed.)

are my 2x65w PCs enough for a 29gal reef that doesn't have SPS corals in it (yet)? - Yes, dont try any high light requiring things, such as clams. Zoo's, mushrooms, MAYBE an anenome. I've had luck with pc's and my bubble tip, but others havent.

HOB fuge? when do I "need" one? - Nope, been running for 8 months witn nothing but a skimmer, and a Hang on back filter used for circulation and water current.

CPR Bak Pak 2R with overflow (coming)
2 Via Aqua PHs (at $7/ea I can live with them burning out)
heater
2x65w Coralife PC light unit
29gal tank + stand

I'm pretty sure that I need a test kit, a better hydrometer, LS and LR, and of course patience!

What am I missing?

Mike [/B]

Get about a 2-3 inch sand bed, including seeded (from soneone else's established tank). I went with aggrograte and a bag of live sand. worked great for me.

may want to consider additives. I add b-ionic calcium/alk which can be found for 17 bucks at aquatic warehouse. I also add phytoplankton for my filter feeders, and mysis shrimp for my fish. This is really up to you what you want to "feed" your tank. Alot of corals can be argued that nothing more than water changes and light will keep them thriving, but to each his own.

Test kits are a must. If something doesnt look, feel, or smell right, test it.

The new PC's create heat, so be careful of your tanks' temp, espcially in the summer. If you get enough of them going, you'll need a water chiller, which arent cheap.

Live rock. A definate for reefs. This is pretty much the basis of the reef tank. It acts as a natural water filter, and grows all kinds of fun stuff.

I suggest reading. Check out some of the reccomended books that this site offers, and read up.

MarLooney
01-21-2004, 01:08 AM
if you've already got the stuffs to plenium then go for it dood.

i'd say no to DSB. 2" at the max.

i used 2x65watts in my 20H. i have a 30 now and wouldn't think them to be enough. like my friend said there's a difference between keeping something live and having it thrive.

HOB or in-stand fuge both good ideas. not needed but good to have. if you don't want to get a fuge right away them put some nice looking macros in your main tank, but even that would be something later down the line after cycling.

also all the additives suggested by suver569 are great. you should also look into something with iodine in it, but it really comes down to what you decide to put into your tank.