PDA

View Full Version : My New Clowns

marcof
08-30-2006, 09:33 AM

14804[/attach]

marcof
08-30-2006, 09:38 AM
I just got them yesterday and I hope they are healthy. I ordered them online so I get worried about the stress of shipping.

One more pic.

nanoreefbro
08-30-2006, 10:11 AM
They look great Marcof. Where did you order them from? Did they take to the anenome yet?

impreza619
08-30-2006, 10:15 AM
wow! thats a crazy hawkfish! what kind? o yeah, cute clowns too.

marcof
08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
They look great Marcof. Where did you order them from? Did they take to the anenome yet?

they swam up to the anemone but did not go in. I don't think they have the protective mucos coating yet. The shipping probably messed them up a bit. I hope they take to it soon.

They don't look like a mated pair, same size. However they kept grabbing a fin and spinning around each other. Then they would shake in front of the other fish. Looked really weird. Not sure if they are trying to show dominance or what. But they stay together all the time. I hope they work out.

Also I got the clowns from live aquaria.

marcof
08-30-2006, 10:34 AM
wow! thats a crazy hawkfish! what kind? o yeah, cute clowns too.

They are not hawkfish... :-) They are leopard wrasses. Very cool and I barely ever see them online. I got the pair from brilliant reef. They have such amazing coloring. I hear they are very hard to keep since they mostly eat live foods. But all three of mine eat frozen brine, mysis, baby mysis, etc... I ordered the third from Live Aquaria and had to move all three to my quarantine tank for a couple weeks. Initially when i put the third one in the tank to float the large wrasse went crazy and attacked the bag, so all three went to the quarantine and they all seem to get along now.

sandiego92155
08-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Clowns and the wrasses are Nice!

Darrell
08-30-2006, 08:02 PM
I like the clowns

cagirly2006
08-30-2006, 09:46 PM
are both the clowns the same breed?

Fishaholic
08-30-2006, 10:01 PM
sweet they look very very nice!

DaChrisDude
08-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Sweet clowns, awesome wrasse (I thought it was a hawk also), and great looking tank! How much were the clowns?

iwantone
08-30-2006, 10:05 PM
I like how was in a darker orange and the other is tangerine. Very nice...

pirate2876
08-30-2006, 10:46 PM
nice leopards.ive had those in the past and loved them.can i ask how much you paid for them?ive been thinking of ordering some and wondering what they go for.

marcof
08-31-2006, 08:54 AM
are both the clowns the same breed?

Yes they are both true percula's. Some people call them onyx percula's but the onyx is just an extra name, some use to classify the percula's with the large band of black color.

Sweet clowns, awesome wrasse (I thought it was a hawk also), and great looking tank! How much were the clowns?
clowns were $200 on liveaquaria

nice leopards.ive had those in the past and loved them.can i ask how much you paid for them?ive been thinking of ordering some and wondering what they go for.
$40 per wrasse - Brilliant Reef and Live aquaria. Keep in mind they are Macropharyngodon bipartitus, there are several types of leopard wrasses, check out this link (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.php) Also keep in mind they are very hard to keep alive in captivity. They normally require live foods and I have been lucky to get them to accept frozen. I was a lamo and bought them before doing the proper research, impulse buy.

marcof
08-31-2006, 09:08 AM
They hosted last night and slept in the anemone. Plus a few more pics of the wrasses

onad75
08-31-2006, 09:30 AM
nice fish.. how big is your tank?

marcof
08-31-2006, 09:38 AM
nice fish.. how big is your tank?

~ 90 gallons

Its a cube 30x30x27 so if you use one of the online calculators it says 94.? for the total gallons.

crstjohn
08-31-2006, 10:37 AM
I just got them yesterday and I hope they are healthy. I ordered them online so I get worried about the stress of shipping.

No quarantine period? Did you dip them or anything before putting into your main tank?

marcof
08-31-2006, 12:15 PM
No quarantine period? Did you dip them or anything before putting into your main tank?

My Quarantine tank has another pair of regular percs (alot smaller) that are also beautiful but they were getting picked on by my blue tang, so they ended up in the quarantine tank. I didnt want to risk the clowns beating each other up. So the new ones got a dip in KORDON AQUA FORMALIN 3 TREAT/DIP.

Back in the day when i had a 55 gallon i never treated or quarantined and had exceptional luck with new fish. So i took the chance with this pair, they were eating and looked good in the bucket. Not my ideal solution or what i recommend doing with new fish but oh well.

crstjohn
08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
I haven't QT my fish either but with a recent ich scare and some of the horror stories i've heard, I thik I will from now on. At least you did a dip on them. Your tank is very beautiful and would be a shame to get something from new livestock. The clowns are very nice looking and appear to be very healthy. Are true percs that expensive or is are they suppose to be a mature mated pair?? $200 seems like a lot of money for clowns IMO although I think one guy was selling a pair for about 1K a few weeks ago.

DaChrisDude
08-31-2006, 12:53 PM
I have never once QT'd or dipped a new fish... Hmm, maybe I should.

marcof
08-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Yeah $200 is alot for a pair of percula clowns. The only reason I purchased them was the color. Its very hard to find a pair of large percs with that much black. They are often referred to as Onyx clowns. If you go to rod's reef you can purchase onyx clowns that he breeds, however they are very small as the demand for them is faster then he can breed them.

As for a quarantine. I set up a complete 40 gallon system with sump, chiller, halides and G3 skimmer so that i can quarantine new fish and corals. I acquaired a sps coral that had red bugs and had to take apart my cube to get rid of them. I also introduced a sick tang that killed 3 other fish. So after those 2 horrible experiences, that happened at about the same time, I went to OG in a rage/depression/despiration and purchased a tank and stand. Ron was so cool he told me to hold off on the new tank and to try treating my existing tank. Anyway I'm happy with the two tanks and for the most part I quarantine everything. The quarantine has saved me several times since it has been set up. Caught a zoa eating nudi, more red bugs.

HTH,
Marco

crstjohn
08-31-2006, 02:35 PM
Marco - thanks for sharing your experiences. I typically just float and drip acclimate livestock then release to my tank. It can be a pain and a difficult to wait the 1 month suggested for quarantine. However, when you consider how much is at stake when you have an established tank like yours, the potential consequences are not worth the risk. Chris take note!

[G]h0s']['
09-01-2006, 01:51 PM
any new pics of your cube, Marco? It's looking good from here so far. Beautiful clowns btw! Those leopard wrasses look great too! :D

-Mel

marcof
09-01-2006, 02:41 PM
I'll try post some pics of the entire cube over the weekend. I guess its about time to revive my old cube thread, or maybe start a new one. I made some mods to the cube since I last posted on the cube thread, simplified after taking it apart and putting it back together. So maybe ill include some pics of the stuff under the tank too. :-D

BigAir
09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I am so ready to get rid of my 12 line, and get a pair of those wrasses.
Way cool.:cool: :cool:

marcof
09-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Check out live aquaria they have a Conde's Fairy Wrasse Pair (http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?ddid=10224&siteid=20) (really nice)

I almost bought them for my dads tank.

marcof
03-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Just thought I would follow up with some updates. The clowns are still alive and healthy. The trio of leopard wrasses are doing great too. One of the wrasses completely changed its colors and is now a male wrasse. I didn't know that they changed sexes but after doing some research the dominant one becomes the male. I'll try post some pics of the male wrasse soon.