PDA

View Full Version : Kamil's 150g by SoCalCreations

Kamilek
08-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I finally decided to downsize to a 150g made by SoCal Creations.

Here is what I have decided on so far:

48"L x 30"W x 24"H
1/2" acrylic
Standard braced
Black back
Black bottom
Center overflow
Bottom drilled for closed loop (in each corner)

Here are few things I need help with:
1) Size and placement of holes on bottom for closed loop. Would like one in each corner. How far should the hole be from a corner?

2) Intake for CL - Thinking of having a short standpipe with a screen inside the overflow box. Is this a good idea? Other option would be to have the intake come out of the overflow, maybe on both sides in case one gets clogged.

3) Size of the overflow box - I don't want it to take up too much, but should be large enough for two drains with durso standpipes, two returns on sides and intake for CL.

4) Did I forget anything? Speak now or forever hold your peace or until I get another tank. :)

As always any feed back, pics and links greatly appreciated.

socalcreations
08-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Well, I'll try to help you out on this one.

1) the placement of the returns for the CL depend on if you want/care to see the plumbing, as if you go with two holes in the front corners, then you will probably see the plumbing. If you can live with that, then I would say put them toward the front and have them aim back at the rocks.

2) Intake for closed loop: I wouldn't put it in the overflow box as this is going to involve more plumbing inside the box = larger box. Maybe put the hole in the bottom of the tank, right in front of the box, that way you can hide it with rockwork. Not sure if you like/plan on having plumbing on the back of the tank, seems like you don't, but that is also an option.

3) I agree the overflow should be the smallest you can get away with. The linear inches of the overflow are determined by your flow thru the overflow, more flow, larger overflow. You also seem to want a lot inside the box, which equals more space needed = larger box. We always try to keep people from putting too much in there, as there is not a lot of room to work with, unless the box is huge. Enough for two drains, and possibly two returns ?? This is going to be a bit large, about 15-20" long, or 10" sticking out into the tank, again it will come down to placement, and size of the bulkheads in the overflow.

4) Doesn't seem like you forgot anything, but if I think of it, I'll let you know!!

Hope this helps get you thinking.

Kamilek
09-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Randy - I appreciate you taking time out to help me out.

1) the placement of the returns for the CL depend on if you want/care to see the plumbing, as if you go with two holes in the front corners, then you will probably see the plumbing. If you can live with that, then I would say put them toward the front and have them aim back at the rocks.
I plan to install Oceans Motions 4 Way (1.5" IN wit 1" OUT), click here (http://www.oceansmotions.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=32&osCsid=4a822f37402bb03dfaaca76fdabbe863) for info.
I don't mind the plumbing be visible, there won't be much. Usually people concentrate on what is in the middle and not the front or back. So yes, two holes in front corners and two in the back (1" bulkheads). The holes should be located in corners where they will clear the stand frame. The stand will either be steel framed or 2x4s.

2) Intake for closed loop: I wouldn't put it in the overflow box as this is going to involve more plumbing inside the box = larger box. Maybe put the hole in the bottom of the tank, right in front of the box, that way you can hide it with rockwork. Not sure if you like/plan on having plumbing on the back of the tank, seems like you don't, but that is also an option.
I have seen the CL intake on the bottom in front of the box and if it means a smaller box, then yes; I would like a CL intake hole (edit: 2" bulkhead) to be in front/center of the box.
I don't have the space for plumbing in back of the tank.

3) I agree the overflow should be the smallest you can get away with. The linear inches of the overflow are determined by your flow thru the overflow, more flow, larger overflow. You also seem to want a lot inside the box, which equals more space needed = larger box. We always try to keep people from putting too much in there, as there is not a lot of room to work with, unless the box is huge. Enough for two drains, and possibly two returns ?? This is going to be a bit large, about 15-20" long, or 10" sticking out into the tank, again it will come down to placement, and size of the bulkheads in the overflow.
Agreed; the box should be the smallest possible, but I leave it up to you to decide what is best. My return will be (is) Eheim 1262, click here (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_eheim_universal_hobby_powerheads.as p?CartId=) for info. Would it be possible to accommodate two 1.5" drains and two 3/4" returns in a box with internal dims of 5x12? Little longer if necessary. I thought of both returns to be 1". Will this make a big difference?
For each return I would like a hole on the side between the teeth large enough for an elbow. Do you know what I mean? I found a picture online but forgot to save it.

4) Doesn't seem like you forgot anything, but if I think of it, I'll let you know!!
Always open to suggestions.

Hope this helps get you thinking.
Helped alot, finally I found the time to put my thoughts together.

simplepleasures
09-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey Kamil,
You saw my new tank pics. What I did was have 2 on the CL returns come up through the bottom and 2 coming down from the top bracing (that return thru the overflow). I also have 1 sump return coming thru my over flow and the sump intake. A total of 4 holes in my overflow. I am going to be running a dart with OM 4 way. My intake is just in front of the overflow (as Randy suggested). I had some big holes drilled so my overflow was along the whole back of my tank. Remember through my tank is a peninsula.
Hope this help,
Casey

Kamilek
09-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Casey,

The only pics I saw were those from the build. Do you have any other? I read your post (http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16429) and decided to go with a larger intake (2") for the CL.
As for the OB, just want it to be large enough to fit two drains and two returns. I plan to use Stockman Standipes (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239116&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) on the drains, so no extra space needed.
I do not want anything on top of the tank because I plan to go topless with a TEK T5 fixture.

Kamilek
09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Couple pics to show progress.

socalcreations
09-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Damn Kamil, you are on the ball with checking the progress. Hopefully it will be done soon for you.

Kamilek
09-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Damn Kamil, you are on the ball with checking the progress. Hopefully it will be done soon for you.

:) Take your time. I don't have the stand and place for it.
I like how the OB turned out.

Kamilek
09-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Finished or soon to be :)

Fishaholic
09-15-2006, 08:27 AM
lookin good! I wish I could have a tank like that!

luistwentyone
09-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Kamil, more pics !

Kamilek
09-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Kamil, more pics !

Sorry, the camera died on me, no time to look for a replacement. SoCal did not post anymore pics because they were busy moving the shop to a new location.

Today, I picked up the tank and believe me Steve and Randy did an outstanding job. Can not get over how smooth the edges and corners are finished.
I need to get started on this project asap; wife wants it up and running by X-mas.

lucubrator
09-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Did you have the corners rounded over?

Kamilek
09-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Did you have the corners rounded over?

Hell yeah!! That's what convinced me to go with SoCal; saw their work for the first time at RaP.
Funny, but on the way back, I would reach back to feel the corners. Am I normal :confused:

Daniel
09-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Funny, but on the way back, I would reach back to feel the corners. Am I normal :confused:
don't worry... i did that too when i drove home w/my SoCal sump. you're not the only weirdo :D

Kamilek
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
I finally got around to building a stand for my 150.
Thought I would show my progress so far.

Fishaholic
10-28-2006, 01:09 PM
sweet. . . . . . . . I love DIY projects they are sooooo fun!!! Im working on all the plumbing blueprints for my 90g and making the internal overflow boxes right now, its long teadious work

rudy
10-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Not sure where the tank is gonna sit, but if it's only on the rectangle frame, and not supported by the upright 2x6s then you're gonna want to replace those blocks with full boards from the bottom(red outline).

Kamilek
10-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Not sure where the tank is gonna sit, but if it's only on the rectangle frame, and not supported by the upright 2x6s then you're gonna want to replace those blocks with full boards from the bottom(red outline).

I hear you Rudy, but there is a reason for those 2x6 to be on the outside. It's not complete yet, I'll post my solution to this later.
Back to work, I'm in the middle of the second stand.

mmoore0803
10-28-2006, 03:33 PM
looking good...but i agree with Rudy....maybe I'll come by tonight after dinner...keep it up

Bogg
10-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Your framing is interesting. I'm sure it will work fine, I have seen a 240 on an oak stand with no framing at all. Shocking!.

lucubrator
10-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Your framing is interesting. I'm sure it will work fine, I have seen a 240 on an oak stand with no framing at all. Shocking!.

But that was probably built by someone who knew what they were doing. I didn't really, so I built a nice strong frame on the inside.

Kamilek
10-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Rudy - I did not have time to respond in more detail earlier. The small blocks were there to hold up the upper frame. I braced the top with 2x4. This should work, I hope. What do you think? See pics below.

looking good...but i agree with Rudy....maybe I'll come by tonight after dinner...keep it up
Mike came by and approved it. Now, I have someone to blaim if it fails ;) .
Thanks for coming by, always learn something from you.

But that was probably built by someone who knew what they were doing. I didn't really, so I built a nice strong frame on the inside.
I agree with Nick. There are stands made only out of plywood, but I don't have the experience and tools. You'll notice I used more studs than needed. That's because wood is cheap(er), so far I used up 4 2x6x8' and 20 2x4x8' for $60. I wanted steel frame for the 150, but the cost = TEK T5 8 bulb fixture.

rudy
10-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Looks good, those first pics looked a little scary:eek:
What are you gonna cover them with? Oak?

Kamilek
10-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Looks good, those first pics looked a little scary:eek:
What are you gonna cover them with? Oak?

The first pics were taken at lunch time. Good thing you responded, Mike came over to take a look and said it will work with the brace.
I plan to cover the top with .5 or .75 plywood, this will make the stand 38(.25)" high.

Wife wants it to be covered with pine; light in color and easy to stain. I'll show her poplar, maybe she'll like it. I have no preference, just want it to be simple and neat.

Mike - what type wood did you use?

lucubrator
10-28-2006, 11:52 PM
With the stand that I built for my tank, I did what you're showing in the last pic, but I also put the horizontal board to the left of it on top of the 2x6 (in your case) as well. It's been up for a year or so with no issues. (Though it is only 60g). My tank is glass, so there's no 3/4" ply on top, and before I could look at the bottom with a flashlight, and now with no sand bed, the halide lights in the inside of the stand.

rudy
10-29-2006, 12:05 AM
I think that I would make the cut-out that you've shown and put 2x4s vertically as I drew before and also put them in the back corners between the two horizontal 2x4s. This may be overkill, but better safe than sorry.
At very least, the cut-out, and it should be fine.
3/4" plywood on top.

mmoore0803
10-29-2006, 09:21 AM
I would think that if you put that cap around the top, you don't need boards beneath them as they would be doing nothing unless you want more wood to attach your skin too.

My stand skin is pine, the skeleton was from the same 2x4s u r using and I used cheap plywood for the both the base inside the stand and what the tank sits on.

Then I basically used the scrap and built the canopy...when you start to skin your stand, I have some pine trim you can have to make the corners look nice...otherwise it will become kindling

Kamilek
11-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Now that the 225 is gone, I was able to set the tanks on their stands to see how things will fit. There isn't much room left for a couch with the walk around :( . Wife not saying anything, but not thrilled either.
I ordered sch 80 bulkheads for the CL from Savko and picked up sch 40 for the OF's.
Here are couple pics:

rollinghead
11-04-2006, 06:30 AM
That's an outstanding DIY project Kamilek! Looks great IMO

mmoore0803
11-04-2006, 10:24 AM
I love the rustic open board look ;)

can't wait to see it done

Kamilek
11-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Could not make up my mind if I want to spend $43 on 3/4" oak ply for the stand. Today, I went to HD and had them cut two pieces out of the 4x8' piece to fit top and bottom.

Sunday, drove out to Moreno Valley and picked up a sump from "ringo", quite a ride, but worth it.

lucubrator
11-06-2006, 11:34 PM
I bought 3/4" for my doors, and I don't think it's worth it. If I were to do it again, I'd use 1/2" or 3/8" and use some other wood to brace it and keep it from warping.

simplepleasures
11-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Nice try Kamil! I beat you! Just filled my tank last night. I will hopefully have time to post the pics tonight. Your project looks good I can't wait to see it filled.
Casey

Kamilek
11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Too tired to write much, instead I'll post pics.
Painted the stand with two coats of Behr wood sealer.
Few pictures showing the plumbing under the tank, the CL is plugged off until I order the pump and 4-way OM.

simplepleasures
11-13-2006, 07:43 AM
Plumbing is starting to look good. Make sure you tape the hell out of all external threads and fill the plumbing befor the whole tank if at all possible this saved me a lot of time and water.

Casey

july865
11-13-2006, 08:39 AM
try using liquide teflon, insted of the tape version. much easier. i like your tank... very clean install...good work

Kamilek
11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Casey - I never had to deal with threaded fittings on my tank before, not too thrilled about it either. Eager to see what will happen when I add the water.

try using liquid teflon, instead of the tape version. much easier. I like your tank... very clean install...good work

Is the liquid teflon as good as the tape? Is it safe to use inside the tank?
Never used it but willing to try if works better than tape.

ringo
11-13-2006, 12:07 PM
:) Glad you liked the sump. I will be setting up that 75 gal. cube (the one I showed you) this coming weekend also, I'm hoping to pick-up my stand tom. I see that you got some plumbing skills:.:)

Note: You might want to lay down a flat (plywood) surface over those 2x4's for the sump to sit on.

Kamilek
11-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Just add water.

alex4angela
11-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Very nice job Kamilek. I likes it :)

Kamilek
11-14-2006, 12:53 AM
Very nice job Kamilek. I likes it :)

Thanks Alex.
No leaks with 100g of water, so I'm on my way to Scripps to get 50 more.

onad75
11-14-2006, 01:10 AM
great job!! plumbing and the set up looks clean.

lucubrator
11-14-2006, 01:27 AM
You're going to scripps now? It's sleepy time.

ramonareef
11-14-2006, 10:01 AM
looks good

Kamilek
11-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Quick update and I have to run to get water.
Finally, got the water flowing, luckily no leaks or I'm just too tired to notice. Looks like with the Eheim 1262 there is too much flow thru the sump. May have to switch to a smaller return pump.
Picked up a ReefFlo Snapper pump for the CL from CA, on sale this month.

The light is for another tank:

nanoreefbro
11-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Looks good Kam. Is that the tank from Socal right??

cagirly2006
11-16-2006, 09:39 AM
WOW i like it alot! I wish our tank was plumbed i want a asump and a refugium!! :( But looking great there Kamil Good Luck!! :)

Johnny_BadBoy!
12-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Looks great Kamil, any updated?

Kamilek
12-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Looks great Kamil, any updated?

Hi Johnny, long time no see.

Not much to update, for the past two weeks I have done nothing on the tank. Only added some rocks and purchased a skimmer from Reef Tank Supply (http://www.reeftanksupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=390). If my family life doesn't interfere with my hobby tomorrow, I should have the skimmer, heater and return pump hooked up in the sump, ready for rock arrangement.

Missy - Glad you came over to check out the tank, hope you got something out of it. Was the hubby mad when you got home so late?

Mike - After you left, I added 3 gallons of RO and the water level in the sump is back to ideal. Best part is, the tank is silent without any standpipes for the OF drains :) I better go and mark the level while running and off. Thanks for lending me your ear today.

nanoreefbro
12-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Looking good Kam.. I will give you a call tomorrow for directions..

Reefbabe
12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey Kamil...you should take a corner view shot of the tank to show everyone how massive this thing is!

About the hubby, he was a little worried when he tried to call my cell. It didn't help that I accidently left it in the car hehe. He knows how "reefers" are....but, by the 4th hour, he became a bit uneasy. :eek: All is well though and he is almost as excited about the tank as I am. :)

mmoore0803
12-01-2006, 11:53 PM
looks just like it did earlier.....just more water in the sump

and where r the fish?

;)

Kamilek
12-03-2006, 09:36 PM
looks just like it did earlier.....just more water in the sump
and where r the fish?
;)

Funny guy you are. ;) Thanks for the link to the RC thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=957192&perpage=15&pagenumber=1) on T5 lighting.

Last night, stayed up till 3 am and hooked up the skimmer, heater and RK2. The drain pipes require more work.

rollinghead
12-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Kamil! absolutely beautiful! Congrats on your tank. Will be something for us to shoot for, and I think everything was from sdreefs! If not it was posted for us to take advantage of the ideas.

nanoreefbro
12-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Kamil how big is your sump again?? Dims??

Kamilek
12-06-2006, 01:16 AM
Found some time today to do the aquascaping. Finally!. Got tired of looking at the empty tank.
I've kept all the large pieces from the previous tank, 190 pounds all together, no base rock. I was shooting for more "air" to allow more flow but instead, came out looking like tightly stacked rock. I need some time to get use to it, don't feel like redoing it, so this will have to do. I still have lots of LR that have corals attached that need to be transfered. First, with the help of Mike, I'll frag everything possible.
Here are few pics, not the best quality, too tired now, maybe next few days I'll replace them.

Kamilek
12-06-2006, 01:18 AM
I used egg crate from HD to protect the inside, in case a rock was to fall and hit the side.

Placed an order for two Aquactinics 48" T5 HO fixtures. (http://www.aquactinics.com/pages/TX5.html)

mmoore0803
12-06-2006, 06:45 AM
but who wants to look at their tank thru white boxes? Let me know when you want to start cutting stuff....I ordered more magnets to make frag mounts and a magnetized mounted frag rack ;)

nanoreefbro
12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
So Kam you are gonna have a total of 10 bulbs?? Can you place it on top of your tank without the acrylic getting hot??

mmoore0803
12-06-2006, 07:57 PM
that is a nice light......I'm jealous

Kamilek
12-06-2006, 08:31 PM
So Kam you are gonna have a total of 10 bulbs?? Can you place it on top of your tank without the acrylic getting hot??

Correct. I figure five is good, ten must be better ;) . Yes, you can place the fixtures directly on top of the tank. The acrylic shield protects the bulbs from water and the side fan cools the fixture. Link provided in post above.
I wanted to buy the TEK 48" 8 bulb, but after reading on RC, I changed my mind. I only paid $100 more.

I've read only good things about it. They also make 72" 14 lamp T5 fixture :D Go for it!!

nanoreefbro
12-06-2006, 08:42 PM
No my tank is gonna be 48" in length.. I'm still debating about the Icecap Retrofit because I was going to get a canopy but looking at those they probably could fit underneath..

roworld
12-06-2006, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Kamilek]I wanted to buy the TEK 48" 8 bulb, but after reading on RC, I changed my mind. I only paid $100 more.

What was the post on RC? I thought TEK was one of the best for T5s?:confused:

Kamilek
12-06-2006, 10:57 PM
[quote=Kamilek]"I wanted to buy the TEK 48" 8 bulb, but after reading on RC, I changed my mind. I only paid $100 more."

What was the post on RC? I thought TEK was one of the best for T5s?:confused:

RC: Tek Fixture PAR Test W/fans (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=957192&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

lucubrator
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
RC: Tek Fixture PAR Test W/fans (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=957192&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

Not to mention that the tek reflectors are among the worst. IceCap or ... some new company... makes better.

Kamilek
12-07-2006, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the link.
Bulb arrangement recommended by The Grim Reefer:

Try this. Order a spare GE 6500K daylight and UVL Super actinic so you can play. Reefgeek (http://www.reefgeek.com/) sells the 3k lamp but I think you have to call to order it. The red in that lamp should do wonders for rose anemones.

Front

ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Super Actinic
GE 3000K
Blue Plus

Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
Geisemann Pure Actinic
ATI Aquablue
Blue Plus

gemini
12-21-2006, 05:01 PM
dang man this is the nicest(empty) tank i think i have ever seen cant wait to see what you do with the insides! ok sorry for my ignorance but what are those large pvc pipes sticking up out of the bottom of the tank for>? they look weird! anyways nice tank and good luck u give socal a good name and what is your future hopefuls for stocking? sps? fish? what!

Kamilek
12-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Couple pics of the tank. Next week I'll update the thread.
BTA is from Nichole and the clowns from Nick. Thanks to both of you :cool:
Clowns appear to be doing the wild thing :D

mmoore0803
12-30-2006, 08:05 PM
nice work.....i like the lighting....btw...u and yours are always welcome in my house.....and my TV is *****in' as is my tank ;)

nanoreefbro
12-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks for showing us the tank today Kamil.. As always it's interesting learning from you..

Kamilek
12-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for showing us the tank today Kamil.. As always it's interesting learning from you..

Joe - You and Ron are always welcome. Now that you work in our area be sure to check out Mike's tank (post above), he's the one I learn from.;) :D

Mike - You think I could do this in Oliver's tank, hooked up to my drain?: Link 1 (http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19962), Link 2 (http://www.inlandreefs.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=44&topic=812.msg6548#new), Link 3 (http://www.inlandreefs.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=44&topic=769.0).

mmoore0803
12-30-2006, 08:41 PM
that would be sweet........but you might want to have that water return to your main sump.....all that algae will keep the main display nice and clean

Kamilek
12-30-2006, 08:46 PM
that would be sweet........but you might want to have that water return to your main sump.....all that algae will keep the main display nice and clean
I can either feed the 30g by splitting the return or in this case split the drain from display (low flow) and have the planted tank overflow into the sump.
Next week OM is shipping my 4-way, my last piece of equipment.

Eric F
12-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Have fun with that. My OM 4 way took me forever. I can help if you need it.

Eric

mmoore0803
12-30-2006, 08:53 PM
very nice......get that installed and then work on the O man's tank

onad75
12-30-2006, 09:40 PM
nice meeting you kamil, your setup is really nice.

simplepleasures
12-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Looking good Kamil.

CyberGuy
12-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Hey Kamil, I thought you said that the tank will only be an anemone tank. It is starting to look more like a mix reef tank. :D

Anyway, the tank looks really good...., a big change from the empty tank that I saw a week ago.

Kamilek
12-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey Kamil, I thought you said that the tank will only be an anemone tank. It is starting to look more like a mix reef tank. :D

Moved most the LR from the 60g to save money on elec bill, so mixed reef until Mike finds time to come over and help me frag most of the corals.

mmoore0803
12-31-2006, 03:09 PM
oh yeah....I'll bring the tools and we can start butchering...thanks again for the ride up to the OC

Reefbabe
01-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Looking sweet Kamil....you've been busy :D . Can't wait to get mine in...still want to show the hub sometime!

mmoore0803
01-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Kamil....what were those bulb specs again? I need to come back to your house and pick up stuff ;)

Kamilek
01-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Just finished installing auto top off switch. No more running around with one gallon bottles. :)

swissfish
01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
is that an air pump?

I have no idea what pump you are using but just in case watch for the good old syphon :) Keep the discharge end out of the water if possible.

Kamilek
01-01-2007, 11:21 PM
is that an air pump?

I have no idea what pump you are using but just in case watch for the good old syphon :) Keep the discharge end out of the water if possible.

Aqua Lifter (http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=OE1137), vacuum pump, designed to lift water with its diaphragm and flappers (3.5g/h).

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Here are some pics from today.
Neon candy cane from Danny, started with two heads. :cool:

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Bubble Tip Anemone from Nichole.
Clowns from Nick.

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Rose Bulb Tip Anemone from Jr.
First day when I place it in the tank the tips were stubby. Later in the evening, it deflated, "blew smoke" and came back to normal the same night.
Same clowns from Nick.

swissfish
01-07-2007, 10:47 PM
wow, look at all the aptasia!

Just playing, it's looking really nice

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:51 PM
This a RBTA That I use to keep in my 90g, use to have two and two LTA's. Don't remember why, but I sold them all. This one came back to me in better shape then it is now, but it's making progress under the T5's. Fingers crossed.
Sorry for the bad pics.

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:54 PM
I'll either move these corals to another tank or sell.

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
more...

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:56 PM
more....

Kamilek
01-07-2007, 10:59 PM
wow, look at all the aptasia!
Just playing, it's looking really nice

To me it's just another anemone. I have no problem with aiptasia, but I cooked a rock that had two Majano's on it. :eek:

Thanks

nanoreefbro
01-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Kam whenever you are ready to get rid of those green zoos let me know.. I'll also take those pink ones too..:D

Kamilek
01-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Received my OceansMotions 4-way.
Thanks Harold.

Reefbabe
01-10-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm jealous!!! What flow pattern did you pick?

Kamilek
01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm jealous!!! What flow pattern did you pick?

Version 3 - 1 & 3, 4 & 2, repeated.

Spent half the day today completing first of three phases; hooked up the OM to all four returns. Next phase, plumbing the OM to the Snapper. Last, unplugging the returns inside the tank and sawing off the cap on the 2" intake :eek: .

nanoreefbro
01-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Wow looks very clean Kamil.. When can I see that bad boy working?? Ron and I went to Lowe's and picked up all the plumbing parts I needed but I have a question about one of the fittings. Maybe Ron can ask you because he knows more about it..

mmoore0803
01-15-2007, 12:15 AM
looks better than when I left.......now hook that bad boy up to a pump ;)

Kamilek
01-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Wow looks very clean Kamil.. When can I see that bad boy working?? Ron and I went to Lowe's and picked up all the plumbing parts I needed but I have a question about one of the fittings. Maybe Ron can ask you because he knows more about it..
Not an easy task installing one of these, especially when rest of the equipment is running. Hopefully by end of this week I'll be done.
Make sure you buy more parts than necessary. I made three trips to HD and spent $130 on fitting for this job :eek: . Some of it will be returned of course. Feel free to call me with Q's after 6pm on a weekday.

Kamilek
01-15-2007, 12:29 AM
looks better than when I left.......now hook that bad boy up to a pump ;)
Thanks.
Easier said than done. Took me three hours to plumb the back two after you left.
How did the syringes work out?

Daniel
01-15-2007, 01:55 AM
Looks like you spent your time well this weekend, nice plumbing! ;)

simplepleasures
01-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Looks good Kamil. To bad I didn't have the funds to get the OM when I was setting up my tank. Everything looks clean!

Kamilek
01-19-2007, 11:48 PM
I just hope there will be no leaks.

onad75
01-20-2007, 12:13 AM
thats really cool.. did you change your white pvc drain of your CL with black one?

Kamilek
01-20-2007, 12:21 AM
did you change your white pvc drain of your CL with black one?

Inside the tank? No. Decided not to because it's behind the rocks and tightly fitted. I still need to cut off the cap and replace it with a strainer. I ran into some problems with the 2" bulkhead, accidentally twisted it and caused it to leak :eek: . Fine now, but cutting off a piece of the pipe may loosen it in the process.

lucubrator
01-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Friday night = kamil's working on his tank. You might want to put something under the pump, it might induce vibration.

onad75
01-20-2007, 12:35 AM
yup inside the tank but either way your setup will still look great..

Kamilek
01-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Friday night = kamil's working on his tank. You might want to put something under the pump, it might induce vibration.

It's sitting on 3/4" Insul-Foam, if it doesn't work I'll cut it out and replace with rubber pad.

nanoreefbro
01-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Wow!! Looks great Kamil.. Keep it up.. What's the next phase??

Kamilek
01-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Wow!! Looks great Kamil.. Keep it up.. What's the next phase??

Thanks Joe.

I was able to cut the 2" pipe without taking it out of the tank. Ran into couple leaks, which I'll work on tomorrow.

Kamilek
01-26-2007, 08:06 PM
My latest additions.
Klein's Butterfly from Rick, added on 1/22/07.
RBTA from John. Picture taken minutes after placing in the tank. I'll be getting one more RBTA and four GBTA, all from the same tank. :cool:

Kamilek
02-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Pics from today.
I will be picking up at least three more anemones; GBTA and 2 RBTA's.:cool:

Nick_Kun
02-01-2007, 10:36 PM
lookin good!

Daniel
02-01-2007, 10:43 PM
nice rockwork!

dj9264
02-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Like the 4-Way. Few elbows; less energy loss.

nanoreefbro
02-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow it's really coming together Kamil.. I like the aquascaping.. But I thought that Butterfly Fish pick on anemones?? I was watching something last night about Reefs near the equator on the Discovery Channel and they mentioned that..

Kamilek
02-02-2007, 10:04 AM
This butterfly was supposed to pick on aiptasia, something he hasn't done since I got him. :(
This is the first rockscape I'm happy with. I decided to use only large pieces of rock. Before, I would throw in whatever was available.
Thanks.

Daniel
02-02-2007, 11:03 AM
at least you covered the intake for the CL... or at least "most" of the intake. that thing stuck out like a sore thumb! :)

Kamilek
02-06-2007, 09:31 PM
BTA from Nichole, settled down and eating well.
RBTA from Jr, never moved. :( I want it off the rock.
GBTA's from John, brought home three, one split right away. Only one settled in the front:(
RBTA from John, split today. :cool: Both doing well.
Recovering RBTA (tiny white one), I fed it some raw shrimp and it expanded a little.

I will be adding at least four more anemones.

Daniel
02-06-2007, 09:40 PM
aw, that little one is still hiding under the ledge? it looks happier though :)

Kamilek
02-06-2007, 10:04 PM
aw, that little one is still hiding under the ledge? it looks happier though :)

I've had it for almost five months looking like this. It always attached itself under a rock, even when it was in a tank lit by PC's. At least now it can be reached. I'm guessing it wants to be in a low flow area.

Daniel
02-09-2007, 03:18 PM
this may be a weird question, but in an earlier post you mentioned that TGR over at RC told you to get 3000K bulbs, did you later order them from reefgeek? i'm looking around and can't find them anywhere else. did you have to call and ask?

edit: nevermind... just called them, they said the 3000K's will be put online this weekend. :)

Kamilek
02-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Newest additions to the family; GBTA from Gina and small RBTA from Alex. :cool: (pics taken couple minutes after adding to the tank)

Big thanks to both of you. Enjoy the frags.
Good news; the little bleached RBTA doubled in size after last feeding. :)

DaChrisDude
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
dang, never knew you were going for an anenome tank. very cool Kamil.

Kamilek
02-21-2007, 11:29 PM
I received a bill from the good people at SDG&E; $130.15 - total usage 735 kWh (25.3/day).

swissfish
02-22-2007, 07:36 AM
just go outside your house and pop in a bypass around your meter:)

mmoore0803
02-22-2007, 07:37 AM
How in the world can your house run on so little juice? I'm jealous

Kamilek
02-25-2007, 10:17 PM
How in the world can your house run on so little juice? I'm jealous
We have a small TV. :)

Picked up one RBTA at the frag swap.
Thanks Tom. :cool:

Kamilek
03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
For a moment, I thought the anemone is stretched on the rock with the mouth off center. As time passes, the cut moves closer to the center. Soon the mouth will be divided into two and a new anemone will be formed. :cool:
I'll keep the lights and document the process.

Kamilek
03-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Picture showing a deflated anemone. Anemones expel water to get rid of waste. Normal behavior repeated every couple days.

Read before you flush it. :mad:

For more information follow these links:
Karen's Rose Anemone's (http://www.karensroseanemones.com/index.htm)
The Anemone FAQ (http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf)
WetWebMedia (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemones.htm)

Kamilek
03-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Another quality product made by Steve and Randy from SoCal Creations.
36x14x17 37g sump

nanoreefbro
03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Ooooh!!!:eek: :D

Kamilek
03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Purchased this anemone last night from Kent "k kagy'" on RC. He mentioned it being too large for his tank, but did not expect it to be this large :eek:
Couple pics I received from Kent before buying and one from my tank. It hasn't fully exposed itself, maybe 1/3:

DaveMorris
03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
If you don't mind sharing...How much was that sump?

nanoreefbro
03-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Man Kamil that one is huge.. How many more are you gonna put in there??

Kamilek
03-11-2007, 08:08 PM
How many more are you gonna put in there??
Good question. Two more, paid for but can't find the time to p/u.
As you can see, I have room for more. :D

nanoreefbro
03-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah I see.. That tank looks awfully familiar..:rolleyes: :D

kinktao
03-16-2007, 10:57 AM
do these anenomes try to sting each other? or are they peaceful?

What kind of pump do you use to top off your water slowly?

very cool tank by the way.

Kamilek
03-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Latest addition, green and red anemone. Had to use a 30g trash bin to haul the LR home. The red came off the rock within hours, still waiting on the green.

DaChrisDude
03-25-2007, 11:50 PM
wow, very cool Kamil. Tank's looking sweeet.

pblocal
03-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I just went through the entire thread for the first time.

Wow!

Very, very well done, great plumbing job too.
How many anenomes do you have in there?

Kamilek
03-27-2007, 11:53 PM
I just went through the entire thread for the first time.
Wow!
Very, very well done, great plumbing job too.
How many anenomes do you have in there?

Hey Joe,

Looks like you have too much free time. :)
Thanks for the compliment.
If I'm not mistaken, there should be thirteen anemones. :rolleyes:

pblocal
03-28-2007, 08:10 AM
check the time, it was almost one in the morning. It seems like I started on this thread about 10:30 though! ;)

Kamilek
03-31-2007, 03:56 AM
It took me half the night to do it, but I did it. Replaced the previous sump with a longer, made by SoCal Creations. The return pipes need to be cut and redirected to make room for the skimmer and feed the refugium.

impreza619
03-31-2007, 04:12 AM
great job kamil! and good morning!

onad75
03-31-2007, 09:42 AM
I really like your set up Kamil, its very clean and oraganized. Great work !

Kamilek
04-01-2007, 01:21 AM
most skimmers need a collection cup on them :D

You are correct. Good night.

mmoore0803
04-01-2007, 10:33 AM
looks awesome...I'm going to have to make the trip over there...so clean

SECTER1
04-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Looking sweeeet Kamil.

surf4ever
04-03-2007, 06:59 PM
that plumbing looks awsome... :eek: nice work..:)

Nick_Kun
06-27-2007, 10:54 PM
wow nice kamil. Love the Bubble Tips.

onad75
06-27-2007, 11:02 PM
are you done collecting anemony? I like your neon candycane want a trade? :D

Kamilek
07-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Found some time to cover the sump with egg crate.
See what your child can do to your tank:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1118503

Also, found an anemone in the fuge while trimming chaeto. The GSM loved it. :)

mmoore0803
07-06-2007, 10:25 PM
time for halides or T5s on the fuge :D

Too COOL!

DaChrisDude
07-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Lol, what an awesoe find! Did it split somewhere up in the display and got sucked down there?

alittlesalty
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
While the rest of the world is killing these poor guys fast and slow this guy is accidentally growing them under lightless mounds of cheato......bravo man!

Kamilek
07-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Before going to bed, I checked the refugium and to my surprise found an anemone torn into pieces. Looks like a trip down the drain gone bad; :( found a piece attached inside a drain pipe. :eek:

mmoore0803
07-24-2007, 11:11 PM
might turn into another anemone :D

have to screen that overflow eh?

Kamilek
07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Pic of my largest glass anemone. :cool:

Kamilek
07-24-2007, 11:21 PM
might turn into another anemone :D

have to screen that overflow eh?

At least two more. :)

Talk about being lazy, purchased these back in May for 39 cents each.

mmoore0803
07-24-2007, 11:22 PM
nice.....at least you have the parts

DaveMorris
07-25-2007, 08:15 PM
The only thing worse than Martha Stewart is Michael's! They have more of my money than all of the LFS's combined. Maybe that's why my wife is so supportive of my reef hobby.

Kamilek
08-25-2007, 11:01 PM
I would like to thank everyone who followed the thread and posted comments. A big thank you goes out to those members who answered other peoples questions and helped resolve their problems.

Most of the live rock and corals will be tmoved to my 90g (http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27509).

Nick_Kun
08-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Reminds me of the all anemone TOTM at reefcentral. Kamil, I see that you still have that pair you got from me. :)

Kamilek
08-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Reminds me of the all anemone TOTM at reefcentral. Kamil, I see that you still have that pair you got from me. :)

That was the first tank I fell in love with: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php
Your cinnamons are doing well, too bad they are so mean to other clowns. :(

Nick_Kun
08-26-2007, 01:10 PM
but I think yours is better... :)

iVgOnMaD
08-26-2007, 04:33 PM
but I think yours is better... :)

I agree...

Kamilek
08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Here are some dirty pictures after most of the LR been removed.

Kamilek
08-27-2007, 09:25 PM
24h later

davocean
08-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Wow, nem city!
Very cool!

Kamilek
09-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow, nem city!
Very cool!

Thank you.