View Full Version : Toxic Waste!

tom@kartboy.com
07-10-2004, 09:11 PM
got this from Reef Collections today for 10 bucks

http://allwheelengineering.com/x/Fishtank/nuclearbrain.jpg

REEFWAVE
07-10-2004, 09:30 PM
do you have a larger picture it's kinda hard to make out.. lol :eek:
that is an awsome piece nice find for that price. i hear the rumor that reefcollections was thinking of opening a shop down here in SD. that would be awsome to have a LFS around here with there quality and prices

tom@kartboy.com
07-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by REEFWAVE
do you have a larger picture it's kinda hard to make out.. lol :eek:

you want bigger? i resized it from from a 6.5 MP camera :)
i should have asked him today if they were opening a SD shop.

joe_bui
07-10-2004, 09:39 PM
I got this today from Reef Collection too:

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421486011/19.jpg

joe_bui
07-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Nice brain Tom...

Frank was going to possibly open one in Lake Forest...I don't think he was talking about San Diego.

tom@kartboy.com
07-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Joe
i saw that thing in there today
i almost got the red/green one that was in there but 85.00 was a little too much for me today

nice one you got there :0

what time were you there?

joe_bui
07-10-2004, 10:01 PM
I was there around 1-3PM...

Flamehawk
07-10-2004, 10:20 PM
If they open shop in SD, the price will definitly be higher than the current store. How low they willing to keep the price at, just have to wait and see.

hmmm...I just heard the remodling news today. I was thinking of going up, but didn't.

Anything good left?

joe_bui
07-10-2004, 10:22 PM
they had a few orange ricordia yuma colonies (6-9) for $85. That's a DEAL. I have them already so I didn't purchase any. They are supposed to get fish in tomorrow.

brahm
07-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Flamehawk
If they open shop in SD, the price will definitly be higher than the current store. How low they willing to keep the price at, just have to wait and see.

hmmm...I just heard the remodling news today. I was thinking of going up, but didn't.

Anything good left?

what makes you say that?

Flamehawk
07-10-2004, 11:40 PM
reefwave said he heard a rumor.

what exactly you are refering to brahm??

brahm
07-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Why you are assuming they will have to have higher prices in san diego?

chin_monster
07-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by brahm
Why you are assuming they will have to have higher prices in san diego?

Simple logistics dictate higher costs. But hey, if that isn't obvious to them I ain't saying anything.

brahm
07-11-2004, 12:47 AM
..simple logistics? if they open up a second store, that means they are going to be purchasing twice the goods, twice the goods since they trans-ship everything equals a larger discount overall thus the ablility to maintain the same price. nas pa?

Granted there is the cost of bringing the stuff from LA to SD, but that is minimal, and depending on the location rent will be the biggest factor..

chin_monster
07-11-2004, 01:36 AM
The costs involved with transhipped animals aren't going to be apprieciably discounted by supplying animals to a second store as well. Another 7 to 15 boxes isn't going to do much of anything as far as air cargo volume goes. Those costs are pretty well set by the air cargo companies, the costs of the animals minimal to begin with. Air freight is the primary factor and doubling a store/ company purchase isn't going to net much if any discount.

Secondly, the extra couple hours of bag time will result in a higher amount of losses. Even if the animals were tanked overnight up in LA there will still be many more losses than they're otherwise experiencing.

There are a number of small things that in total add up to negate any percieved volume advantage.

I believe that if it were at all an advantage that Pat would still be directly transhipping animals like back in the Aqua Fauna days. Yes?

There is a the possibility that I'm mistaken, however, I don't think so.

The simple fact of the matter is that there just isn't any money to pay to utilities, rent, payroll and other business costs selling such corals for $10. Especially in such a limited, flakey market like San Diego. Why do you think needed to drive 100 miles to buy quality animals? There just isn't a large market down here. How many high $$$ exotics (blasto, acanth, etc) have you sold to locals? I know how many I have (I don't even bother to try). They get sold to people up there or FedX'd out. It is simply the way the San Diego is.

chin_monster
07-11-2004, 01:51 AM
And besides wouldn't be any market pressure to drive prices down to those levels down here.

brahm
07-11-2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by chin_monster
The costs involved with transhipped animals aren't going to be apprieciably discounted by supplying animals to a second store as well. Another 7 to 15 boxes isn't going to do much of anything as far as air cargo volume goes. Those costs are pretty well set by the air cargo companies, the costs of the animals minimal to begin with. Air freight is the primary factor and doubling a store/ company purchase isn't going to net much if any discount.

Secondly, the extra couple hours of bag time will result in a higher amount of losses. Even if the animals were tanked overnight up in LA there will still be many more losses than they're otherwise experiencing.

There are a number of small things that in total add up to negate any percieved volume advantage.

I believe that if it were at all an advantage that Pat would still be directly transhipping animals like back in the Aqua Fauna days. Yes?

There is a the possibility that I'm mistaken, however, I don't think so.

The simple fact of the matter is that there just isn't any money to pay to utilities, rent, payroll and other business costs selling such corals for $10. Especially in such a limited, flakey market like San Diego. Why do you think needed to drive 100 miles to buy quality animals? There just isn't a large market down here. How many high $$$ exotics (blasto, acanth, etc) have you sold to locals? I know how many I have (I don't even bother to try). They get sold to people up there or FedX'd out. It is simply the way the San Diego is.

hmm, that is true... I guess it all depends on the stratedgy they use when they first come to san diego, if they go for the wal-mart strat, they would keep there prices low build up following then slowly increment even at taking a loss for the first 6 months or so. But who knows, not like we know how Reef Collection is doing finacialy in LA.. I don't think it changed owners because they were rolling in money. I think they will end doing more damage to AW then OG.. As, I don't think there are very many AW fans, and I doubt AW can run as cost effiencient as Ron can until (if) they start to raise there prices back to stantard

elgordoinavw
07-11-2004, 08:17 AM
cool find-

tom@kartboy.com
07-11-2004, 08:31 AM
wasnt this whole post about my cool brain?:confused:

:D

joe_bui
07-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Ahhh...All about rumors...well, he isn't going to open any stores soon in SD, so we should just enjoy the nice brain that Tom got there... :D

How's that Tom? Bringing it back to your "toxic waste" brain.
;)

tom@kartboy.com
07-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Thats better :)
your OK for an "Outsider" LOL

Tom

MarLooney
07-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Charles i've sold 3 blastos locally so far and i already have requests for more. as for selling acan. you gotta be kidding me. plain and simple it does not cost the same to keep a store down here than up there. he'll be losing $ because we all know SD costs an arm and a leg for any type of rent... and that's just the big part, add in all the other stuff Charles pointed out and it's just not a good idea.