PDA

View Full Version : my new 29 galloon reef journal

gemini
06-23-2006, 08:55 PM
my friend gave me his old 29 gallon tank that was sitting in his garage empty so i decided to make it a reef tank that would be ready for the frag swap tommorow the 24th. so basically ill be setting a reef tank in a day!!!!
its an experiment but im pretty sure it will work out cause im going to be using cured live rock and live sand so i highly doubt there will be a cycle. i will be getting the cured rock from Ron (rbdesigns)along with a pair of clowns and a heater(and a carpool!!!) so heres a list of the equipment that i have and that is soon to come

29 gallon glass tank
150-200 watt heater
25-30 pounds of live rock
30-60 pounds of live sand
2x maxi jet 1200 powerheads
250 watt 20 k metal halide

and in the not so near future (unless i can find one for a REALLY good price)
a protien skimmer!

i plan to do bi-weekly 25 percent water changes and to keep both lps and sps and maybe a couple softies at the bottom

pics coming in a day or to

DaChrisDude
06-23-2006, 10:16 PM
sounds good xavier...

gemini
06-23-2006, 10:32 PM
thanks

gemini
06-25-2006, 10:06 PM
full tank,seio 820,heater

gemini
06-25-2006, 10:07 PM
yeah my pics worked!!!!

SDFISHMAN
06-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Hey Gemini I see you got it up and running.. I must have missed you at the fragswap but I still have a skimmer or 2 I'll PM you later...

gemini
06-25-2006, 10:23 PM
ok thanks yeah we got there kinda late!

flyingcatfish
06-27-2006, 09:43 PM
u know what my tank ur showing looks pretty good

gemini
06-27-2006, 11:11 PM
micheal! u got a account on here [welcome] ya ur tank is being put to good use better than ur garage,btw when are you going to get an tank>./>.,*Y*&^#? u need to and ull find some CRAZY deals on here call me if u have any questions on the site i have over 234 more posts than u haha!

to everyone else this if my friend micheal he lives in murrieta and needs to get a tank set up so if u have a welcome or a good deal on stuff for a 20 gallon fowlr(ill make it a reef soon enough) please let me know and ill get it to him cause i doubt hell ever check this site

gemini
07-20-2006, 07:48 PM
UPDATE!:i got my halide hung up finaly after relocating the tank to san clemente (southern orange county)and up 29 stairs!(fun when carring 2 5 gallon containers at a time!) and got some "play sand" from lowes for 5 bux!
now i have a 4-5" sand bed and a 250 watt halide and im getting more frags as soon as possible so im ready to go now! so now im off to find great deals on zoa frags!

DaChrisDude
07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
sweet Xavier. Glad to hear things are progressing.

make sure to update your location. :)

gemini
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
ya thanks chris! either tommarow or sunday i will be getting a black background to make the heater blend in!

jacksandgo
07-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Ohhh...is that the pure aragonite "play sand" that everyone's been talking about for years? Used to be at Home Depot called "South Sea" but now some other company owns it.

Update: Hmm...guess not...it's probably this one...the silica sand. I've read good stuff about it, too, so good find:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=10392-286-14104&detail=cr&lpage=none

gemini
08-17-2006, 09:19 AM
jacksandgo,ya its the stuf in the link,updates will come later today probably in about 4 minutes

gemini
08-17-2006, 09:20 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/reefgeek/tank/tank007.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/reefgeek/tank/tank006.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/reefgeek/tank/tank005.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/reefgeek/tank/tank004.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/reefgeek/tank/tank001.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/reefgeek/tank/tank002.jpg

gemini
08-17-2006, 10:03 AM
the place we moved into (we now live with a roommate:() but we dont have to pay the utilities and she loves my tank so it works out good:) as for corals anything really i was going to make this tank either zoas only ( i love zoas) or mixed and i think im going for mixed cause an intire tank with tons of zoas would be colorful but also the same texture and i wanted to mix it up a little so whatever i can get at a good deal im going to get!know what i mean>? also yes that is play sand,and i like it alot,its a tiny bit on tha gray side but u cant tell with the lights on but its really fine and as u can see from the picture it gets blown areound quite easily so i have to find away to change that!

BigAir
08-17-2006, 11:56 AM
How long have you had that CBB, and where did you get it?

gemini
08-17-2006, 01:06 PM
umm ive had the CBB for about a week but im trading him for some frags on saturday but i got him at the reef room in dana point

DaChrisDude
08-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Hey good to see you here on the board again Xavier. Tank's looking good, love that clown - beautiful. Let me know if you're coming down through Esco, I can also find something either free or cheap....

gemini
08-18-2006, 07:32 AM
thanks guys ill let you know if im down there
another subject are any of u guys going to reef a palooza tommarow? its gona be friking awsome!

gemini
11-27-2006, 10:55 AM
well update the 29 gallon(see i know how to spell it) has now been transformed into a anemone and clownfish tank! i now have 2 gbtas (one is huge and one is tiny) in the tank along with the original clown and a baby i just got yesterday they have both already hosted the anemone they look awsome i cant find the cable for my crappy camera so no pics yet but im searching for a better camera by x-mas time (crosses fingers)

gemini
02-23-2007, 10:20 PM
alright update
the whole clown tank didnt really work out, both of the clowns died from unknow reasons :( but that was a while back i have done a horrible job keeping this thing updated but i will try to keep it updated now, i have sold my anemones and frags so all i have now is a ORA green millie and 4 green chromis i moved all the rest of my frags down to fallbrook. hopefully tommarow the rock and tank will be down there also. im planning on adding more rock because a friend of mine is getting a shipment of TBS rock but he ordered to much so he is going to give me the left overs that i think i will have to cure in a seperate tank and he also has a 24 gallon aquapod that is just holding a bunch of rock that i might be able to get from him for pretty cheap but other than that im now trying to get the tank ready for sps getting ready for this years reef a palooza in august (wow the one year mark!!!) so i hope to get 2x koralia #3's for flow and the seio 820 i got from Harold (thanks alot) and then i need a new 250 watt bulb soon and im thinning out my sand bed to about 1 inch so thats it i will try to get pics soon

gemini
04-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I got a koralia 4 instead of the 2 koralia 3's, so there is a lot of flow going through the tank! But the tank is coming to its end!
I am breaking this tank down and moving it all into a smaller 10 gallon aquarium with my new inhabitant, a mantis shrimp (N. Wennerae) as the main star of the show!
So keep your eyes peeled for the start of that thread!

Anything you guys want to know?