PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Shrimp! Unknown Kind.

brahm
07-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Mantis Live Rock Combo, Super Special 10.00$ I'm giving up on trying to fish it out, and don't feel like another tank.. So it's yours killed a good many of my fish... Enjoy. Btw the rock is a nice flat corrline encrusted piece of LR.

ninhsavestheday
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
can we get a picture of the rock? im interested.

brahm
07-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Here's the deal, I don't want this mantis.. I want to get rid of it asap.. So if somebody wants it, the mantis is FREE, But i do want a couple bucks for the rock, if you dont' want the rock and you can get the mantis out.. have it..

sdwrx
07-08-2004, 06:05 PM
pour some carbonated water over the hole where he is hiding... he'll jump out!

brahm
07-08-2004, 06:17 PM
tried it, didn't work.

sdwrx
07-08-2004, 06:59 PM
wow... never heard of that not working. Tough guy huh?!

Flamehawk
07-08-2004, 07:54 PM
just submerge the whole rock in the water and put some alka selzer in the water

that will get it out.

but of course some other things live/grow on the rock might die from lack of oxygen, but you will get the shrimp out. Put rock back to tank water as soon as shrimp is out. If shrimp doesn't come out, it will just die in there. :P

have fun

JeromeBaker
07-08-2004, 09:26 PM
better yet, throw the rock in your backyard, poor gas all over it and light it on fire. Good luck.

JeromeBaker
07-08-2004, 09:27 PM
on a serious note though what if you did just hold a lighter up to the hole? That be mighty hot and take away all of his oxygen. Might work

sdwrx
07-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JeromeBaker
better yet, throw the rock in your backyard, poor gas all over it and light it on fire. Good luck.

lol!!

brahm
07-08-2004, 10:05 PM
nah, the rock has to many caves, it's not like i can back it into one hole it's a network of tunnels.

JeromeBaker
07-08-2004, 10:23 PM
DOnt let him win brahm.....you owe it to your manhood to get him out.

SDRotary
07-08-2004, 10:55 PM
I tried to talk the other half into another mantis and was shot down, especially after buying my new 40g set up. I am already having to get rid of the 10g nano as soon an as the 40 cycles otherwise it would have a home here :( .

icemonkey24
07-09-2004, 09:44 AM
Hahaha ... I had a friend who had a mantis in his tank years ago ... he tried killing it with a wooden stick. Needless to say and many stiches later he simply gave up. Which made me think ... how about some of the most "creative" ways to kill a mantis shrimp hiding in a rock:

1) Get a .45 Magnum, recite the words "Make My Day!" and pull the trigger.

2) Put the rock in a bathtub filled with water. Drop in active toaster and watch the light show!

3) Inspired by #2, you can wrap the rock in tin foil, throw it into the microwave, and really enjoy a spectacular laser light show to remember.

4) Using precise modeling technolgy, create a "female" (or male) replica of the mantis so attractive, the other will be forced to try to mate with it. When the little bugger tries to "do the deed" you quickly take pictures, and threaten to blackmail it on the internet unless he vacates your tank.

5) Read the book "Tank owners are from Mars, Mantis Shrimp are From Hell" written by Rosie O'Donnell, which will help you understand the Shrimp's needs and feelings.

6) Using "Joe's Juice" murder an unsuspecting Manajo anenome in full plain view of the mantis. He'll get the idea rather quickly.

Okay ... more ideas people ... more ideas.

GAD
07-09-2004, 09:46 AM

JeromeBaker
07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by GAD

What a ****........LOL!:p

obarrera
07-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by icemonkey24
Hahaha ... I had a friend who had a mantis in his tank years ago ... he tried killing it with a wooden stick. Needless to say and many stiches later he simply gave up. Which made me think ... how about some of the most "creative" ways to kill a mantis shrimp hiding in a rock:

1) Get a .45 Magnum, recite the words "Make My Day!" and pull the trigger.

2) Put the rock in a bathtub filled with water. Drop in active toaster and watch the light show!

3) Inspired by #2, you can wrap the rock in tin foil, throw it into the microwave, and really enjoy a spectacular laser light show to remember.

4) Using precise modeling technolgy, create a "female" (or male) replica of the mantis so attractive, the other will be forced to try to mate with it. When the little bugger tries to "do the deed" you quickly take pictures, and threaten to blackmail it on the internet unless he vacates your tank.

5) Read the book "Tank owners are from Mars, Mantis Shrimp are From Hell" written by Rosie O'Donnell, which will help you understand the Shrimp's needs and feelings.

6) Using "Joe's Juice" murder an unsuspecting Manajo anenome in full plain view of the mantis. He'll get the idea rather quickly.

Okay ... more ideas people ... more ideas.

Dude what is wrong with you?:confused:This is about helping not killing stuff.Am I missing something?

JeromeBaker
07-09-2004, 12:22 PM
Its about killing stuff. Get him brahm, get him!

obarrera
07-09-2004, 12:36 PM
LOL!

Eternal780
07-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Man I never knew how crazy these guys get.....For a shrimp that sucka packs a big punch

alien4fish
07-09-2004, 03:11 PM
BRAHM :eek: GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF:eek: you can't let the lil bastid win:mad: you cant give up bro!..........ok,..... ok boil some water in a big pot and drop the rock into the pot PROBLEM SOLVED:D AND THEN EAT THE LIL ******* WITH SOME PASTA;)

alien4fish
07-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by JeromeBaker
better yet, throw the rock in your backyard, poor gas all over it and light it on fire. Good luck. THIS WAS A GREAT IDEA TOO :D

brahm
07-09-2004, 03:23 PM
um i've got the mantis in a little 10"x10" cube, i don't want to kill it I want it to go to somebody who wants a mantis.

obarrera
07-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Okay I want to act like I really care about the shrimp's live but I think you should kill him,Just get the damn shrimp put it in water and into the frezer,After an hour or less it will be frozen.:D

SDMike
07-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by brahm
um i've got the mantis in a little 10"x10" cube, i don't want to kill it I want it to go to somebody who wants a mantis.

If you need someone to take him in, lemme know... I'll be tearing down the two tanks I have set up now and merging them into my 120, so I'll probably have room for a nano/mantis tank.

For all of y'all with a spare 5-15gal aquarium sitting around. These little monsters are actually pretty cool critters in their own tanks. Unfortunately, right now my 29's so big I rarely see the two I have now. Feeding time's certainly interesting!

The mantis don't need anything too fancy. No ultra daylight, cataract-inducing lighting systems, no super-duper filtration. A mini skimmer should do ya. Ie: a tank made of spare parts... Lord knows most of us have that, right Chappie?

M

alien4fish
07-09-2004, 03:43 PM
NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT!!OK, IVE GOT A SWIMMING POOL........................NOW WE CAN TAKE THE ROCK AND DROP IT INTO THE POOL AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR THE LIL GUY GUY TO COME SHOOTING OUT OF ITS HOLE FROM THE CHLORINE BURN:D

obarrera
07-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Speaking of pools don't you guys wish you had one with fish and you could swim with them.:DAnyway you could also open a lava lamp and then put it inside and let it burn.

alien4fish
07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by obarrera
Speaking of pools don't you guys wish you had one with fish and you could swim with them.:DAnyway you could also open a lava lamp and then put it inside and let it burn. thats why i swim at la jolla cove:p

obarrera
07-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by alien4fish
BRAHM :eek: GET AHOLD OF YOURSELF:eek: you can't let the lil bastid win:mad: you cant give up bro!..........ok,..... ok boil some water in a big pot and drop the rock into the pot PROBLEM SOLVED:D AND THEN EAT THE LIL ******* WITH SOME PASTA;)

What kind of shrimps are the ones they use for cocktails.

brahm
07-09-2004, 05:03 PM
...i have this great idea, why don't a put a whole bunch of cool frags in the tank with the mantis, then we tape silversides to your fingures, blind fold you..and you can play bobing for frags.

MrKrispy
07-09-2004, 05:19 PM
hahahahahahahaha

ahem HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ow my stomach

JeromeBaker
07-09-2004, 05:39 PM
...i have this great idea, why don't a put a whole bunch of cool frags in the tank with the mantis, then we tape silversides to your fingures, blind fold you..and you can play bobing for frags.

Put some orange skirt zoos in there with some neon green skirt zoos and you can count me in.

brahm
07-09-2004, 05:59 PM
allright it's on, reaching your hand in a tank with an Orange mantis full of orange zoo's

obarrera
07-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Damn this is funny.

Dannyboy
07-09-2004, 11:23 PM
On a serious note is it really in a 10 gal right now? Do you think it is big enough to break the glass? I'm going to be adding a 10 refuge to my 29gal tomorrow and a mantis would be a cool addition. Unless you've already killed it let me know.

brahm
07-10-2004, 12:31 AM
i have no plans on killing it at all, I'd rather keep it and have a cool hitchhiker then kill an animal that was only doing what is natrual for it, yes it is possible it can break the glass although i'm still not sure if it's a smasher or a slasher, but I don't think a refuge is the best place for a mantis, I found my self digging in my fuge all the time.. I'd hate to have something that could cause serious injury to myself where my hands need to go.

PonE619
07-10-2004, 07:01 AM

Just wondering how you got the little fella out

brahm
07-10-2004, 12:36 PM
removed the rock it was in from my tank.

alien4fish
07-11-2004, 05:32 AM
well, update us bro what is the current "mantis" sitiation?looks like you may have started another spieces only tank huh?

brahm
07-13-2004, 05:08 PM
..well still haven't got it out of the rock

So price reduction

Matnis free.. 5$ for a NICE piece of LR and they are both yours.

brahm
07-21-2004, 05:10 PM
bump

a_fool_for_fish
07-23-2004, 09:02 PM
ill take it. where you at im going down to chaps on sunday to pick up a blue jaw trigger. how big is he and what color is he. i have a nano calling for him.

thanks a lot later

brahm
07-24-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by a_fool_for_fish
ill take it. where you at im going down to chaps on sunday to pick up a blue jaw trigger. how big is he and what color is he. i have a nano calling for him.

thanks a lot later

He's 1.5"-2" Orange/clear. I'm in UC just on the other side of the freeway from Chap (from what I understand)

a_fool_for_fish
07-24-2004, 01:06 AM
nice are the times ok with you

a_fool_for_fish
07-24-2004, 01:21 AM
i live in OC could you give me your addres i dont even know what UC stands for plz pm it to me

thx sorry im dumb:(

Daniel
07-24-2004, 06:22 PM
UC = university city :D

a_fool_for_fish
07-24-2004, 06:59 PM
o thought it stood for something like that

brahm
07-25-2004, 12:29 PM
I have no way of getting ahold of you, and don't have chaps #

a_fool_for_fish
07-27-2004, 10:16 AM
so brahm when can i pick up the mantis.is the weekend ok with you.

Bickmade
07-27-2004, 02:37 PM
any update? find out what kind it is? pic?

a_fool_for_fish
07-28-2004, 08:24 PM
im sorry brahm but i cant pick him up. so hes up for grabs again.

so sorry brahm