PDA

View Full Version : |- OCTOPUS GARDEN ROBBED..again -|

brahm
01-15-2004, 08:28 PM
I just got back from Octopus Garden, not a good a day for Ron, the store, or the reefing community.

Somebody Stole his Chiller from Under the Future (ex) Display Tank!

That IS NOT COOL. Out of all the shops to steal from, and all the people. Ron and OG is one of the least deserving.

Not to mention Previously this week a 175w Metal Halide system was stolen from his store!

Not to mention the 2 FRAUDULANT checks he was given.

This has not been a good week.

We are a small community, and to Steal from one of the few stores the support us in the ways that OG, awsome customers service, good prices, and the healthiest selection. If just wrong (not that stealing in any form is ok.)

OG was one of the few stores that care, and Ron is rather distressed over the situation. I say WAS because I as I was leaving Ron has decided to Temopary close the shop down, if not forever.

If you know anything, please come forward.

I used to shop mostly at other stores AW & GFW until I first went to Octopus Garden. There is a reason why myself and many of us have become loyal fans, customers, and friends of the OG store & Crew. It would be sad to see it go. The San Diego Reefing / Fish Community will not be the same without it.

:(

Brahm.

Flamehawk
01-15-2004, 08:51 PM
dame...who the ******* is that anyway. EVERYBODY KEEP YOUR EYES ON classifies and internet for someone try to sell a chiller. it is possible that he/she going to keep for them self to use.

also, for those who visit OG please help keeping an eye out for the store.

maybe we should pool some money together to buy one of those bell thing that will ring everytime ppl pass through the front door and the side door.

if ron closes, we lost a very valuable friend that go out his ways to help us.

I hope that person who did that, something bad happen to him/her. I think it might be the same person, that's why more expensive things are getting stolen. while ago was a tank that sits outside and now bigger expensive things inside store is stolen.

Keep your eyes open guys. If you notice anyone suspecious in any way let ppl who work there know or even just look at the person from time to time and let him/ her see you are looking at that direction. That should get their heart racing and hopfully walk out.

nalbar
01-15-2004, 09:27 PM
more than likely it was more than one person. one distracts while the other steals. we saw it every damn day at reptile haven.

nalbar

ronreef
01-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Brahm, I was there at the same time you were when he noticed it was gone. Started a thread on the same subject.

Totally messed up! There aren't enough good stores in the first place. To lose this one would be messed up for us all.

Ron

brahm
01-15-2004, 09:49 PM
Ah Snail Guy! yea I was shocked / speechless

Acoustic
01-16-2004, 12:00 AM
I am a investigator. If Ron would like assistance in identifying, apprehending, and prosecuting this person. I will do it for free.

Flamehawk
01-16-2004, 12:52 AM
i would say go for it. Let's find this guy(s). Acoustic, than I think you should let ron know you are willing to do so and see what he thinks.

Acoustic
01-16-2004, 01:12 AM
I will call Ron's store and try to talk to him tomorrow.

elgordoinavw
01-16-2004, 11:38 AM
I was there when it happened I had just walked in with my wife and son. I know that I've considered going into buissness for myself. I understand what Ron feels' I don't feel it I just understand it.

Brahm, I was the snail guy-

Limbo
01-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Is there anything we could do like setting up a small fund for Ron so that he can replace some of the stuff that was stolen? A little 'OG relief fund'.....hell, I would get it started with a $20 to support/help Ron. If everyone chipped in a little, it wouldn't take much......He has been giving out great deals and advice since I started this hobby, I feel I should give back in some way.

What does everyone think?

Jim

brahm
01-16-2004, 12:08 PM
No ronreef was buying snails to. I know who you are. :)

brahm
01-16-2004, 12:10 PM
Last nite ron said, All Gift Certifcates will honoured, and all pending orders will be filled.

Treylon brought up the donation idea last nite also, it sounds like a good idea to me. We were thinking about setting up a Pay Pal account maybe?

treylane
01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Yeah, one of you set up a paypal account and we'll start feeding you $ so you can cut him a check when we're done. Once you set up the acct, I'll see about harassing SDMAS members too. :)

Limbo
01-16-2004, 01:00 PM
We'll make it an agenda item for Tuesday's meeting : )

Jim

[G]h0s']['
01-16-2004, 03:46 PM
count me in on the $20 chip in. im going to see Ron tonight and get the dirt on the incident as well as his plans in the near future. that is some messed up $h*t! that happened.

ConUSsd
01-16-2004, 04:28 PM
i just cruised by og today. there was a sign on the door that said closed due to shoplifting, unsure when we'll reopen or if at all :( i'm hoping they reopen. it sucks that a few have to spoil it for all. i hope when can find these *******s rippin off og. does anyone have a way to contact ron so at least for the honest few, we can still buy things off of him? i'd much rather support him than aw or pet king. i might not be a super expert like ron but i'd be more than happy to sit at the counter while he does his thing and help him out if he's understaffed. just my two pennies

rza007
01-16-2004, 05:55 PM
What a shame to hear a someone in SD would actually do this...

scarry to think that I have welcomed many locals into my home

Makes me think twice now about letting new people come over to do a swap. :confused:

I got $20 on it as well

Flamehawk
01-16-2004, 06:09 PM
well, if you want to reach Ron. You can always email Bob Fenner and have him help you contact Ron.

I think we should put money together to beef up the security on that place. Because youwill always have ppl bouncing checks and stuff. But if they see cameras or even just a bell ring when ppl exit or enter should stop some of them. Because the way I figure is that if you know when ppl exit or enter, at least you can take a peek see who it is, but if you don't know just give them to much chance to slip away. if also have camera s up, I think shop lifting should be almost none.

If that guy ever get caught. Ron should have a picture of the guy in store says " I was caught shop lifting".

MrKrispy
01-17-2004, 10:08 AM
I'll chip in $20 if Ron elects to open back up.

Gotta wonder though, he has had stuff stolen several times recently so why aren't the cameras filming? (if they aren't)

suver569
01-17-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm pretty new to the boards, but I can help.

I'm an electrician here in SD and I can help setup some kind of security for them. I can provide all of the labor needed to install a system. I can probably provide some materials if needed (basic materials, not the security system itself.)

Please let me know how I can help. I was bummed to see that the store was closed (I never knew it was around and I was going there just as I read this post)

Hope I can help.

MarLooney
01-17-2004, 11:26 AM
daymn that sux balls... i hope ron opens up the left side like he has planned, but he can't do that paying for so much stolen merchandise. for real a doorbell sensor and better cams would help a lot. try to convince ron of all the good ideas posted here.

ConUSsd
01-17-2004, 11:53 AM
i agree with you marlo, hopefully someone can get in touch with ron and pass on all of these ideas on to him. i'm gonna give og a call today and see if there open; i want to get my protein skimmer! but that's secondary, i hope they just open back up again.

Flamehawk
01-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Got an email from from Bob Fenner today. He knows about what happen to OG. He ask me to call someone to get Ron's number, and call him to let him know there are a lot concerned ppl care about him....etc.

I will keep everyone updated.

sd_mexican
01-19-2004, 04:45 PM
I got $20 on it as well. How's gonna
collect the money?

sd_mex

Acoustic
01-19-2004, 07:18 PM
I don't want to sound non-sympathetic but.............

Every business is subject to acts of theft especially retail. I make about 10 - 15 retail theft arrests in that immediate area every month. Ron should focus on running his business in the "real world". It is not unimaginable that somone would steal from a nice person in San Diego. You really don't need to invest in expensive and costly equpment to protect your stuff. If you look at Aquatics Warehouse they have a very smart yet simple soultion to preventing theft. There is always someone by the only entrance and exit of the store. Any coral or fish that comes out of the tank goes straight to the register with documentation. It's not like he was asking for it but theft is inevitable. I think that the best thing someone can do for him is not give him money but give him knowledge on asset/inventory protection training for the small business.

As far as the theft goes here is my take:

1) The thief knew about reef-tank equipment and it's value.
2) The thief had to have visited that store several times to "scope out" the item that was going to be stolen and when it was the best time to do so.
3) The thief was probably told about the expensive item by an employee who was enthusiatic to tell his customers about his new setup and it's cost.
4) It is most probably not your run of the mill random shoplifter because there are lots of small boxed items in that immediate area that have decent value and are much easier to steal.
5) The thief is probably an employee, or a relative/friend/roommate of the store employee.

If I were in charge of the case I would also have taken fingerprint samples, and written statements from every employee of the store. And follow that up with surveillance. And lastly the interrogation and polygraph of the primary suspect.

suver569
01-19-2004, 07:25 PM
acoustic has a point. The chances that the theif was an employee is pretty good. they know the store inside out and could easily slip something out.

I'd put my money on an employee or a close friend/relative.

brahm
01-19-2004, 09:59 PM
just got back into town, any words on wether he opened up or not?

ConUSsd
01-19-2004, 10:10 PM
i agree with the points that acoustic made but we all have to remember that ron doesn't have the same resources as many other businesses. aw, as there motto says, is the costco of the aquatic industry and is no comparison to the small business setup that ron has. every person that has ever talked to ron knows that ron is not in this for huge amounts of money so the cost to have multiple people working one shift would definitely send his costs skyward; to the point that prices would be a turn-off to many of his customers. yes, in the "real world" there is theft but not very small businesses have the resources to have private investigators, multiple employees, fancy security systems/measures and so on. i've worked for plenty of small businesses and understand the hardships that the owners face. ron is just fortunate to have such a loyal customer base that is willing to help him out.

ConUSsd
01-19-2004, 10:11 PM
btw brahm, i've been calling the store everyday and no answer so i guess he hasn't reopened. cross our fingers and toes for tomorrow:rolleyes:

Flamehawk
01-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Good News. Ron supposly to be taking care a few things and "planing" on open on Friday.

If you have time, go say hi to him this weekend and make sure tell him how much you miss him. :)

Just in case, probably call first, before you go. If you are not in the area.

take care

George

brahm
01-21-2004, 12:57 AM
i went by at lunch and afterwork (it's on the way home and near my bank.. i'm not obsessed really..) and nobody was there, good news from Flamehawk though..