PDA

View Full Version : New 80 Gallon

reef
04-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Finally got my 80 gallon up and running after 6 months of planning, reading, and more planning. I have a canopy and lights, but they are not shown in this picture.

----------------------------------
100 pounds of live rock
50 pounds of southdown sand
30 pounds Caribe Aragonite reef sand
25 gallon sump w/ refugium
Iwaki WMD30RLXT - sump return ~960 GPH
Iwaki MD55RLXT - closed loop ~1200 GPH
Oceans motion supersquirt
T5
-----------------------------------

DaChrisDude
04-28-2006, 10:08 AM
I like your aquascaping...going to be a sweeeet tank. Got more pics?

reef
04-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks..

I do have more pics but the all show the same thing. I plan on putting the lights in the canopy this weekend. Will post more pics then.

WanaLeime
04-28-2006, 10:31 AM
How do you like the revolutions? which model did you get? (90*/180*) I was thinking about getting some revolutions...also what size piping did you use on your closed loop?(1/2", 3/4", 1"). Just a suggestion...if you could take a video and post the OMSS and Revos at work would be nice to see....=)
your tank looks AWESOME! keep the PICs coming!
thanks

Dennis

reef
04-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I like the revolutions so far. My goal was to not have any powerheads in my tank, so thought that these would be a good solution. I like the idea that they rotate and push water at different levels and angles in the tank. Mine are the 90* models.

I plumbed the closed loop with 1.5" piping. I did this before purchasing the pump, so had to reduce it to 1" to accomodate the intake of the Iwaki. It seems to be working ok. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have used the Iwaki's. Probably went with the reef dart or something similar. How do you like the BlueLine?

Here are some pics of the build from start until today.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onyx.geo/album?.dir=709c&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/onyx.geo/my_photos

WanaLeime
04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
That is one hell of a plumbing job! So you drilled the holes yourself? Thats awesome! I didnt have the balls too....=) how $$ was the bits? how thick was your glass?

So far the bluelines are great (only ran for half a day) when I did my water and circulation test. They are virtually SILENT, I could barely hear them.
They say the VELOCITY series add HEAT to the water...but we will see...Im pretty content with the Bluelines...

Dennis

GREAT JOB MAN! Im inspired once again!!!!!

DaChrisDude
04-28-2006, 01:48 PM
incredable plumbing job!

lucubrator
04-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Do you have 4 revolutions on there? I'm thinking about getting a pair (OM squirt), but at $30 each, I dunno.

reef
04-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Only have 2 revolutions installed. I thought that they were pricey too, but got them anyway. As much as I have invested already, another $60 wasn't too bad. My goal was to not have any powerheads in the tank.

The revolutions are a really simple design to. They are really light and float in the saltwater until water is pumped to them, forcing them down and the gearing inside makes them turn. They are all plastic and probably cost about $10 to make.