PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy on 1500 dollar tank!

nalbar
06-25-2004, 01:30 PM
M.Parkis came up with a great idea on a group buy for the 1500 dollar tank being sold by marcof in this forum.

we need 5 people at 300 each to pull this off. we have three

1) nalbar
2) jerome
3) osidefish

i think it is best if you dont get involved if you want something specific. for instance, i have no interest in the lights but want the chiller. but if i end up with the sump and the controller i would be happy. i have no interest in the livestock. well maybe the shrooms, but am willing to defer for the good of the group.

the five will have to plan some fair way to divide everything up that they want, then let everyone else buy in.

if you want in (300) you HAVE to promise to be happy! you HAVE to promise that no one walks away feeling screwed. IF this tank is what is represented (a BIG if) it is a good enough deal for all to be happy.

if you dont have 300 but want in try to arrange a side deal with a couple other people to get 300, maybe 100 each. vote one person to represent your group so we dont have a lot of shouting. this complicates things but lets work this out.

this can get HUGELY complicated but if we work together and do it with smiles it can be done. we would have to arrange to look at the tank to make sure the hardware is not all rusted and ruined and that the software is happy and open.

are you in?

1) nalbar 300 +
2) jerome 300
3) osidefish 300 +
4)
5)

ricestudios
06-25-2004, 02:14 PM
any pictures of the tank?

Flamehawk
06-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Might as well start figuring out what each person's "must have" item. Than we can figure out how to split up the rest of stuff.

I am in the process about asking him about what kind/brand of the bulbs.

If is the bulb I want, than I will think about getting in this deal with you guys.

brahm
06-25-2004, 03:04 PM
actually, i was thinking about this, when I saw the post, and I think i came up with a better solution as to there will be less chance of a mess, as a few people are going to want the choice things..

the Chiller, The lights, the Calc Reactor, the rock, (all the $$ dollar stuff)..

Sooo Here is what I suggest.

Everybody PM's one person with what they are willing to pay for each item they want. Then a single person will update a list of who offered the most amount of money for each piece. When the total dollar value of all submitted requests reaches the 1500$ amount.. The deal is sealed. The Unclaimed items are then either divided up amoungest the particpents based on the total amount of money you spent. Ie spend 10% of 1500 get 10% of the left overs. Any unclaimed items can either be takin to ron, or re-offered back on board with the money recieved for them being re-distrubuted back on a % basis back to the people that did the intial buy in..

It sounds more compilcated then it is so let me break it down..

example
person a. 500$ = 33.3 % (highest bid on chiller and tank)
person b 500$ = 33.3% (higest bid on lights sps and ric)
person c 250$ = 16.6% (higest calc reactor & fish)
person d 250$ = 16.6% (live rock & misc corals & other lights)

The first thing would be to make a list of each item offered, so people can submit there bid on that item.

This way, nobody is caught arguing over one item, there money speaks for them.

T. VO
06-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Well whoever ends up getting corals, I'd like to deal with them seperately.

JeromeBaker
06-25-2004, 03:06 PM
I really need the chiller. That's my must have. Looks like nalbar and I will have to flip for it. The 250w metal halides would be nice too.

nalbar
06-25-2004, 03:28 PM
look guys, we can all come up with different ways of doing this. it can get complicated any other way than this.

simply put, we are going to have to trust each other to do the right thing. for instance, jerome says the chiller is important. that is good enough for me. that simply means he skips a choice later on. right?

if we start arguing now over values and criteria we will NEVER agree. we have to just put up 300 and get it done THEN work it out. over the internet we HAVE to keep it simple. in person is when we can deal with details. i understand that each item has to have a value put on it. but not here, not now.

nalbar

nalbar
06-25-2004, 03:32 PM
interestingly enough brahm, i dont particularly want any of the things you listed.

it is hard to 'bid' on items we have not seen and dont know the condition of.

we are all just going to have to accept that compromises are going to have to be made.

this HAS to be done with a smile!

:mad:

nalbar

:D

brahm
06-25-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
look guys, we can all come up with different ways of doing this. it can get complicated any other way than this.

simply put, we are going to have to trust each other to do the right thing. for instance, jerome says the chiller is important. that is good enough for me. that simply means he skips a choice later on. right?

if we start arguing now over values and criteria we will NEVER agree. we have to just put up 300 and get it done THEN work it out. over the internet we HAVE to keep it simple. in person is when we can deal with details. i understand that each item has to have a value put on it. but not here, not now.

nalbar

if all the suggested values were kept private (hence the pm part..) I don't think it would be a problem you just say what you would be willing to pay and if your the top price you get the item
I was thinking about voluteering to organize and then not purchasing anything to keep it non-biased and impartial...

but whatever do what you guys want to do.. i'm happy to help if you want.

brahm
06-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by nalbar
interestingly enough brahm, i dont particularly want any of the things you listed.

we are all just going to have to accept that compromises are going to have to be made.

this HAS to be done with a smile!

:mad:

nalbar

:D

those were just for example purposes.

smooth
06-25-2004, 03:36 PM
this deal seems like it's going to go way too crazy for me.

I'll wait while you figure out the stickies, but I've got a feeling someone's toes are going to get stepped on.

Dealing with the details before committing seems to me to be less hectic.

JDubb
06-25-2004, 06:15 PM
I would be interested in the sump, what are its dimensions.