PDA

View Full Version : New member on deck!

Tronathon02
09-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Good afternoon everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself. I go by the name of Fred and I have always wanted to have a salt water reef setup in my home, but just never took it serious enough knowing how much time and money is involved in it. I was referred to one of my plumbers about this forum where I could obtain some real great information to try and get started. I'm aiming to learn as much as I can and educate myself so when the time comes for a build, I have all my bases covered.

Fred

nanoreef1
09-05-2017, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the addiction Fred!😀

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ManTis
09-05-2017, 02:14 PM
Welcome! Here are 2 advice I have for you.

1. Don't start this hobby! You will never get out. Quit while you are ahead of the game. Hahaha
2. If you decided to skip advice 1 then be patience!

Thanks it and good luck!

jetli1969
09-05-2017, 02:19 PM
HI FRED,

Welcome to SDR, check out all the threads http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/forumd...ted-Discussion

Utilize the search options for questions, if you have no luck go ahead and post questions.. plenty of old school reefers on here who are willing to chime in with their expertise.

And most important, enjoy

VW REEFS
09-05-2017, 02:47 PM
welcome

Tronathon02
09-05-2017, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the addiction Fred!��

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Welcome! Here are 2 advice I have for you.

1. Don't start this hobby! You will never get out. Quit while you are ahead of the game. Hahaha
2. If you decided to skip advice 1 then be patience!

Thanks it and good luck!

HI FRED,

Welcome to SDR, check out all the threads http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/forumd...ted-Discussion

Utilize the search options for questions, if you have no luck go ahead and post questions.. plenty of old school reefers on here who are willing to chime in with their expertise.

And most important, enjoy

welcome

Thanks everyone for the honest and helpful feedback. Being as stubborn as I am, the fact that I created an account here, I think it's safe to say that I'm committed. lol. I wanted to share with you all the location I have in mind. I think it's a pretty neat spot as you would potentially be able to enjoy the reef from both sides. On a plus side, it's right next to my bathroom. I was thinking of starting off by reinforcing the lower cabinets to be able to handle such a large size tank. The area below is about 6 ft wide. Let me know what you all think. Any help is appreciated.

https://i.imgur.com/qo3RzUv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AaC7YYe.jpg

Kris.C
09-05-2017, 02:55 PM
Make sure to put up a sign stating "wash hands before touching the tank glass " in your bathroom :toilet:. lol J/K bud, spot looks good, lots of potential and makes for easy maint since you're so close to a sink. Keep us posted and welcome!

Tronathon02
09-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Make sure to put up a sign stating "wash hands before touching the tank glass " in your bathroom :toilet:. lol J/K bud, spot looks good, lots of potential and makes for easy maint since you're so close to a sink. Keep us posted and welcome!

Thanks Kris!
Do you or anyone on here know of any local spots that can do custom design/builds for Reef stands? I was checking out the wood of this little cabinet furniture I have and the wood appears very frail. It would definitely need to be reinforced using stronger wood or even metal frames.

Thanks,
Fred

ManTis
09-05-2017, 03:12 PM
Cdaquarium.com

Crystal Dynamics Aquariums

Tronathon02
09-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Cdaquarium.com

Crystal Dynamics Aquariums

Thank you!

fijisrfr
09-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Welcome aboard! Where are you located?
The only thing I ca offer is this:
Cut up your credit cards NOW!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueHippo
09-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Welcome Fred! Fell like home, a lot of good peeps here to make the Reefing Fun & Easy!

Kris
09-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Fred,
I like the location. You can easily plumb a drain from the tank equipment in the existing (re-enforced!) cabinets for easy water changes! are there any power receptacles in the walls nearby?

What kind of floors do you have? Tile or linoleum are nice around tanks, as opposed to wood or carpet.

Welcome and good luck!

Drama D
09-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Welcome Fred! Looks like a great spot you have picked out, nice and expensive, hahha

Tronathon02
09-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Welcome aboard! Where are you located?
The only thing I ca offer is this:
Cut up your credit cards NOW!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in San Marcos.

Tronathon02
09-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Welcome Fred! Looks like a great spot you have picked out, nice and expensive, hahha

Thanks! You're telling me. Funny thing is the wife has no idea! LMAO!

Tronathon02
09-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Fred,
I like the location. You can easily plumb a drain from the tank equipment in the existing (re-enforced!) cabinets for easy water changes! are there any power receptacles in the walls nearby?

What kind of floors do you have? Tile or linoleum are nice around tanks, as opposed to wood or carpet.

Welcome and good luck!

Thanks! I have tile flooring. There is a receptacle on the other side of the cabinets (dry wall).