PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a MAX show this April????

MadMax
01-04-2017, 10:52 AM
As the title implies......

MadMax
01-06-2017, 11:53 AM
LOL, ok, well, there's my answer.

Okey Dokey

MadMax
02-03-2017, 09:57 AM
does anyone realize that you (the hobbyist community) have just had a major show stolen right out from under you?

orangereefer
02-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Are you having one this year or on the fences? I'll come if you build :)

bps619
02-03-2017, 10:03 AM
I'd love to come to the show.

Jega
02-03-2017, 10:07 AM
I never saw this post, Id love to come along as well!

FDdragon
02-03-2017, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I didn't see this post either. I'm down to go (pending my work schedule on the date the show is held)

CMD2213
02-03-2017, 10:21 AM
I'm always game

jasonp87
02-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Please keep replies on topic. Also, any problems with other individuals or businesses should be handled in private. If you do not want to attend the event that is your choice.

MadMax
02-05-2017, 02:33 PM
I want to thank the vast majority of you who enjoyed our show these past ten years. 9 in Orange County, 1 in Los Angeles, and 1 in Seattle. The Marine Aquarium Expo started as a mere philanthropist experiment and blossomed into a world class show that was enjoyed by thousands. We brought professionals and hobbyists together, however the much bigger accomplishment (that we are quite proud) are the kids participation.

I have always insisted, and insist even more today, how incredibly important it is to attract the next generation of children to this hobby. But as this endeavor fails to provide an immediate financial benefit to the masses, it has largely been ignored. I cannot convey how incredibly short-sighted and detrimental this is to our hobby. The Aquarium Industry as a whole (in my professional opinion) risks fading into history as did Boy/Girl Scouts, Boys/Girls Clubs, etc. unless we change our priorities.

Another unfortunate trend is the exploitative sales of pseudo-elite livestock and/or hardware. Hobbyists today are literally bullied into thinking they have to have this-or-that product, frag/coral, etc. in order to be part of the "In Crowd" This is an extremely damaging trend in that it benefits a minority at the expense of those who are most vulnerable. Of course this is not a popular opinion so is rarely discussed much less considered for reform.

Long Story Short, we are not a club....nor a committee.....and most certainly not part of a clique. I am merely one man who wanted to bring you something special. Despite the challenges, we always had fun AND managed to benefit a great number of people along the way....for that I am happy.

CMD2213
02-05-2017, 02:53 PM
So we getting a show?

sushi
02-05-2017, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all of your hard work. Maybe it will happen again in the future.

You know why I got into reef tanks? When I was a kid, one of my dad's friends had one. It was so mysterious to me, I was only 5 or 6 but I wanted one ever since. Then I moved to San Diego and the aquarium was one of my favorite places to go. I finally got my own reef tank a little over a year ago, and my niece and nephew love it. Even by doing that little bit, showing the next generation our tanks, we can help our hobby continue. Eventually they will be responsible enough and make enough money to get their own, and as long as they can find a place like SDREEFS they will succeed!

I would not have bought a reef tank if I did not find this place and been encouraged by everyone here who said it is not really that difficult (they were right!).

MadMax
02-05-2017, 04:10 PM
So we getting a show?

It doesn't look good. Unless we get a bunch of sign ups over the next few weeks we will have no choice but to cancel or postpone.

Important to remember:
Our competitor has a club of 100+ members, over a dozen committee members, and dozens more volunteers....

MAX, on the other hand, is just "me"....as in one humble guy and his computer.

Rudyg308
02-05-2017, 07:52 PM
I didn't see this post either until now. Yes I will love another MAX! I will be there no matter what. I have never missed once since I started the hobby a few years ago. Thank you for all your hard work and time spent doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMax
02-06-2017, 11:33 PM
- 10 years ago, my devoted wife stood by me as I spent countless hours creating a new show. It was called Reef-A-Palooza.

- 9 years ago, she stood by me as people started to criticize us after its success.

- 8 years ago, she stood by me as I created yet ANOTHER new show. It was called Marine Aquarium Expo.

- Year-after-Year she stood by me as I turned our home into a literal disaster area with show office, show storage, and show staging area

- Year-after-Year she accepted our long-term role as voluntary unpaid show organizers.

- But then when confronted by the worst of human nature she reluctantly asked: “why are we doing this?”

- I had no answer for her.

cutterx23
02-06-2017, 11:59 PM
And now I will ask: why are you doing this? Are we to feel sorry for you and therefore attend the show? I think your first order of business should probably be to try to find exhibitors in order to get us excited to go. Not sure what the point of these posts are, along with links to websites you are banned from. It would be really great if you could turn this into an event worth attending again, it has unfortunately been going down hill, and in my personal opinion and what it seems is a pretty popular opinion, much of this you have brought on yourself. Whether you believe that or not. This used to be a great show. Make MAX great again!

MadMax
02-07-2017, 12:32 AM
And now I will ask: why are you doing this? Are we to feel sorry for you and therefore attend the show? I think your first order of business should probably be to try to find exhibitors in order to get us excited to go. Not sure what the point of these posts are, along with links to websites you are banned from. It would be really great if you could turn this into an event worth attending again, it has unfortunately been going down hill, and in my personal opinion and what it seems is a pretty popular opinion, much of this you have brought on yourself. Whether you believe that or not. This used to be a great show. Make MAX great again!

Umm, no, but thank you

chireef
02-07-2017, 01:26 AM
Never been to one but I've heard not so good things about it .

godspeed240sx
02-07-2017, 06:54 AM
I drove up to reefapalooza last year. I'd love to have something in San Diego

sushi
02-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Umm, no, but thank you

Then it's settled?

No more MAX

'twas good while it lasted

Rudyg308
02-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Look, I don't care what other people say, if there is a MAX I am going to it! And any other reef shows that are in my vicinity. I love all the shows good or bad.

unbereefable
02-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Went last year. Wasn't worth the drive, gas, or admission fee. The expirence was good and I'm glad I went, so I could see what all the fuss was about. But what I saw most was venders selling way overpriced stuff. Tagging corals with a fancy name and charging a premium. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have some pretty good LFS in our area. I'm also a 5 min drive from Vance, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Also, one of the sponsers here posted some emails that were exchanged about a booth rental. It didn't paint "MAX" in a pretty picture. Not to mention what seems like these "pity party" post you're giving us now. I don't wish bad on anyone, nor do I want people to fail. If your not seeing/getting the results you want, maybe take the hint. Sometimes it's best to see the cards for what they are and fold.

rudy
02-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Went last year. Wasn't worth the drive, gas, or admission fee. The expirence was good and I'm glad I went, so I could see what all the fuss was about. But what I saw most was venders selling way overpriced stuff. Tagging corals with a fancy name and charging a premium. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have some pretty good LFS in our area. I'm also a 5 min drive from Vance, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Same.
I'd rather support my lfs

Echo
02-07-2017, 06:37 PM
giving up that quickly? one person said no and you give up because of it. How many people said yes. And one said no.

MadMax
02-07-2017, 07:26 PM
giving up that quickly? one person said no and you give up because of it. How many people said yes. And one said no.

Actually the driving force at this point are the exhibitors. We have put out the word that February 17 is the final deadline. If we don't get at least 20 additional registrations it is a moot point

sushi
02-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Come on everyone lets pump it up!

MAX 2017!!!

chireef
02-07-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm not going unless lady Gaga does the max halftime show ..

nanoreef1
02-07-2017, 10:37 PM
I'll be down to go on this one never been to one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

godspeed240sx
02-21-2017, 08:59 AM
I imagine this didn't go through?

MadMax
02-24-2017, 09:41 AM
I imagine this didn't go through?

2017 is unfortunately a no go......now looking at logistics to see if a 2018 show is possible

all 100% depends on demand

inthedeep2
02-24-2017, 01:28 PM
if you promote more before this close to a deadline then it may have a better chance at happening.

jessegarcia28
02-24-2017, 01:32 PM
That sucks bro.
Me and the Fam. Love Max

MadMax
02-24-2017, 03:48 PM
if you promote more before this close to a deadline then it may have a better chance at happening.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking too.
Ironically, this may actually have been a godsend to me as I just had spine surgery 7-days ago and its is the most challenging thing I've ever faced.
I can't imagine the stress of facing a MAX show just weeks after going under the knife.

MadMax
02-24-2017, 04:04 PM
That sucks bro.
Me and the Fam. Love Max

People like you are the only reason I would consider a MAX next year, my friend

MadMax
03-04-2017, 11:22 PM
We are still working on the details, but it looks like we are going to give this another try next year (assuming we get enough participation)

The next Marine Aquarium Expo is tentatively set for April 7 - 8, 2018 at the OC Fair & Event Center

For those of you who liked the show, now is the time to lend us a hand by spreading a good word to your favorite vendors.

MadMax
03-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Just to reiterate (since we are receiving so many inquiries) there will be NO Marine Aquarium Expo this year (2017)

coralcoral
03-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Just to reiterate (since we are receiving so many inquiries) there will be NO Marine Aquarium Expo this year (2017)

I think i can help with the organization of this. Nothing brings people together quite like good food and a good excuse. We all want to let loose every now and then and most of us are just looking for an excuse to do so. I don't think nearly enough of us were reached out to via social media Facebook, instagram etc. I guess my point here is that many of want to help and are excited about the idea of getting together with buddies, have a crisp cold beer while eating tacos, hot dogs, jalapeņo poppers- you name it and at the end go home with a new critter or new information and sometimes a new friend.. I know that Mad Max is something bigger than this but at the fundamentals its all the same.
I remember when we used to have frag swaps years ago- not sure at what point this stopped being a thing, I was 17 when i went to my first one and the host at the time opened up his home for us, there were guest speakers and almost certainly someone was always cooking. It was that sense of brotherhood that hooked young reefers like me. Anyway, like i said, I think I can help in one way or another.. even if just a bit. I want my children to enjoy this hobby, if so they choose, as much as I do.

Best,

Vick

MadMax
04-02-2017, 07:51 PM
I think i can help with the organization of this. Nothing brings people together quite like good food and a good excuse. We all want to let loose every now and then and most of us are just looking for an excuse to do so. I don't think nearly enough of us were reached out to via social media Facebook, instagram etc. I guess my point here is that many of want to help and are excited about the idea of getting together with buddies, have a crisp cold beer while eating tacos, hot dogs, jalapeņo poppers- you name it and at the end go home with a new critter or new information and sometimes a new friend.. I know that Mad Max is something bigger than this but at the fundamentals its all the same.
I remember when we used to have frag swaps years ago- not sure at what point this stopped being a thing, I was 17 when i went to my first one and the host at the time opened up his home for us, there were guest speakers and almost certainly someone was always cooking. It was that sense of brotherhood that hooked young reefers like me. Anyway, like i said, I think I can help in one way or another.. even if just a bit. I want my children to enjoy this hobby, if so they choose, as much as I do.
Best,
Vick
Ironically, MAX has always been a very special event for kids, something we have spent considerable effort and expense. Unfortunately most businesses are either unable or unwilling to realizer the obvious long-term benefits. I have thus funded (to the tens of thousands of dollars) every single contest, prize, entertainer, educator, material, supply, give-away, apparel, ect. out of my own pocket. The list of things that we implemented (in the name of good will) is long and complex, but I learned early on that anything new to the show...if we really wanted to add it then it was our responsibility to fund too. The problem is that we simply don't have the finances anymore to carry this burden ourselves. Tammy and I have been doing this for 10 years now and to tell you the truth? A good moment is one where we are not catching someone trying to sabotage the show in one form or another. I really wish this were an exageration.
IMO, Starting up the ole backyard frag swaps again is a wonderful idea

MadMax
04-10-2017, 09:43 PM
We just posted a quick photo spread of MAX 2014 (and startling reminder of what was lost this year)

https://www.facebook.com/133365600933/photos/a.10155403271920934.1073741830.133365600933/10155403273880934/?type=3&theater

sushi
04-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Let's be positive from here on out. Pump it up, MAX2018!!!!!!

MadMax
04-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Please note that MAX 2018 will be 100% dependent upon you vendors, sponsors, and hobbyists supporting the event.
I cannot emphasize this enough.

MadMax
04-25-2017, 08:53 AM
The following comments are for the sake of transparency and accuracy of information:

Someone had spouted off recently in another thread about us being "banned" from SoCaliReefs, evidently hoping this would shame us.

Response:
He is absolutely correct. After more than 10 years of heavily supporting SCR and practically being our home forum, etc. etc. we ARE in effect permanently banned.

Now for the facts:
- The "mod" who banned us is in his mid twenties
- The "reason" for the ban was supposedly for using a racial slur
- To this day I still not heard what exact slur he is/was referring too (entire post was immediately erased)
- No response was returned when we made an inquiry about the matter. Only that we were gone.

Anyone with half a capacity for reason can see right through this scenario.
I wish SCR no ill will or anything negative, there are alot of good people on that site.
This is the actions of one individual and nothing more, so we will not give it any more credibility than that.
The only sad thing is what this type of thing does to the hobby as a whole.

Please do not respond to this post as is was placed hear only for informative purposes.
I do not with to spar with anyone over anything relating to this.
the only reason I bring it up in the first place is to counter rumors and misinformation

thanks,

d-man
04-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Madmax,
My opinion/ experience (which is just my mine, I speak for no one else, so take it for what you want) is that the show has been declining greatly over the past 8-9 yrs since I've been going. The first one was great back as RAP but when the split happened it almost seemed like the slow death of the new max and the increasing rise of RAP. I for one, am more of a fish guy, but also love corals. I used to see a few more vendors with higher end fish as well as some general stuff to go along with the corals of the month.

Now all I see really is 1 fish vendor, many, many coral vendors(which I'm completely ok with) and more and more product vendors. All of this is fine and dandy but RAP has the same thing, with more of them and cheaper admission.

When people go up there from SD and have to pay gas, and a higher admission fee plus a declining event agenda it just equals less and less people. Something needs to give for it to succeed again. Either more vendors with better selection and cheaper prices than lfs, cheaper entry fee, better speakers, or free beer!!!!(get everyone drinking to spend more$$$$), lol.

I don't know the answer obviously, I couldn't imagine taking on a task like this, but as a hobbyist these were my viewpoints on why I stopped going to MAX(even though it falls on my BDAY(4/7) a lot and continue to go to RAP.

MadMax
04-25-2017, 09:31 AM
Madmax,
My opinion/ experience (which is just my mine, I speak for no one else, so take it for what you want) is that the show has been declining greatly over the past 8-9 yrs since I've been going. The first one was great back as RAP but when the split happened it almost seemed like the slow death of the new max and the increasing rise of RAP. I for one, am more of a fish guy, but also love corals. I used to see a few more vendors with higher end fish as well as some general stuff to go along with the corals of the month.

Now all I see really is 1 fish vendor, many, many coral vendors(which I'm completely ok with) and more and more product vendors. All of this is fine and dandy but RAP has the same thing, with more of them and cheaper admission.

When people go up there from SD and have to pay gas, and a higher admission fee plus a declining event agenda it just equals less and less people. Something needs to give for it to succeed again. Either more vendors with better selection and cheaper prices than lfs, cheaper entry fee, better speakers, or free beer!!!!(get everyone drinking to spend more$$$$), lol.

I don't know the answer obviously, I couldn't imagine taking on a task like this, but as a hobbyist these were my viewpoints on why I stopped going to MAX(even though it falls on my BDAY(4/7) a lot and continue to go to RAP.

Thank you for a well-though out response. (and very respectful, thankyou)

I have but two rhetorical questions: 1) When did this become a race? Do people compare RAP with Coral Farmer's Market? or with MACNA for that matter?

2) Why does it even matter? We have very different shows and very different goals, and six months apart

thank you again for your thoughts and I do hope to see you at MAX again some day in the future

pirate2876
04-25-2017, 01:35 PM
http://www.reefapaloozashow.net/california/

djuiceem619
04-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Lol. Is it just me, or has SDREEFS been SUPER LIVE lately?

MadMax
04-25-2017, 02:22 PM
http://www.reefapaloozashow.net/california/

This is some BADASS web designing! (first time I've seen it) Kudos to the designer

'bout time they put some serious money into their website.

Duke4130
05-02-2017, 03:24 PM
All of the shows are the same ****! Some shows are better than others. It all depends on what vendors show up and who brings there "A" game. That's what makes a show! Also when people inquire about getting booths, don't shine them off and don't force immediate payment. Why is this thread still going??? LOL

sushi
05-02-2017, 03:32 PM
I think the thread is still going because MadMax cannot resist the urge to respond to people :bounce:

MadMax
05-02-2017, 04:13 PM
All of the shows are the same ****! Some shows are better than others. It all depends on what vendors show up and who brings there "A" game. That's what makes a show! Also when people inquire about getting booths, don't shine them off and don't force immediate payment. Why is this thread still going??? LOL

You hit the nail on the head, at least with your first comment. "I" am nothing more than the wizard behind the curtain pushing buttons and pulling strings. It absolutely amazes me how much emphasis some people think I have in this world (LOL, I AM a nobody!) It IS the vendors and quality of their wares that make all the difference. As for the second comments about booths and payments and such. Really that is nobody's business but the organizer and client (not to be cruel, just being truthful) and anyone who finds such things worthy of drama is only looking to harm the show for everyone else. I somehow sense this is not your intention though so I do appreciate the feedback. I know you are trying to help. thanks

sushi
05-02-2017, 04:35 PM
MadMax threads are always very emotionally charged.

-Peanut Gallery

MadMax
05-02-2017, 04:49 PM
MadMax threads are always very emotionally charged.

-Peanut Gallery

Ironically, us introverts are really quite docile and cuddly when you get to know us :)

MadMax
05-02-2017, 05:13 PM
well, time for something positive for a change:

Here was last year's show (lighter attendance, yes, but not bad)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/reefmeister2/AisleE.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46/reefmeister2/AisleE2.jpg

PresidntEvil
05-02-2017, 07:31 PM
I will attend the show 2018, though I have never attended a show before. I feel that the plea to get attendees was a bit strange, and a bit unprofessional, but nothing was deserving of the hateful reaction of "Cutter23" I have met Brett before, when he lived in Mira Mesa, and he is a good person, I have never met Max before, but I will give his show a fair chance, without outside influences clouding my opinion.

bps619
05-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I like turtles

inurmind
05-02-2017, 08:58 PM
I love lamp

cshplumber
05-02-2017, 09:11 PM
I love lamp

Good for you Brick now drink your lava lamp and go to bed.

sushi
05-02-2017, 09:15 PM
Turtle soup!

Kris
05-02-2017, 10:25 PM
I hope this isn't too far off topic?

http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?22223-General-Etiquette-for-Newbies/page4

jasonp87
05-03-2017, 05:22 AM
I think this thread has served it's purpose.