PDA

View Full Version : New to SDR and to the hobby

PufferPhish
08-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Hello all! I'm getting ready to dive into the hobby and was very fortunate to discover this awesome forum. I'm shopping for a new home for my family and myself, and one of the first things I'd like to do would be to build an epic reef tank. However, I don't have much knowledge since I've only kept fish only tanks, and I've been out of the game for more than 10 years. So, I'm gonna be leaning on you a lot to steer me in the right direction. But before I just start throwing out random questions, what would you recommend for a good online source of articles to educate myself? Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you in the near future.

Sincerely,
Manar

CMD2213
08-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the community!

The most important key to surviving the hobby is. ...PATIENCE!
You will need to decide what you want as your livestock ...fish and the corals will determine the size of tank you need. Livequaria.com has good info on tank requirements.
So. Lots and lots of things to consider
-LIVESTOCK
-TANK SIZE/DIMENSIONS
-DRILLED OR NOT FOR A SUMP
-HOW MUCH FLOW
-TYPES OF LIGHTING
-NATURAL SEAWATER OR MIXED SALT
-RODI SYSTEM
-ATO SYSTEM

And so on...
But don't be shy these members are all here to help
Goodluck.
-Mike

XO PRESENTS
08-08-2016, 05:32 PM
HI Manar,

Welcome to SDR, check out all the threads http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?34-Reef-Related-Discussion

Utilize the search options for questions, if you have no luck go ahead and post questions.. plenty of old school reefers on here who are willing to chime in with their expertise.

Join us for MACNA 2016 here in America's Finest City http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?125838-*Discount-Alert*-MACNA-2016-Single-Day-Passes-Discount&p=999763

And most important, enjoy :)

cshplumber
08-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Welcom Manar,

As Mike has already stated. Patience is key. From deciding where tank is going to be in home to what size will fit there to where filtration will be (in stand below tank or dedicated fish room)...sump design... Lighting...there is a lot to plan. Like I've said before, the only thing this hobby (obsession, addiction...) does quickly is empty pockets.
Good luck, keep in touch & enjoy.
P.S. Where do you or where are you going to live?

PufferPhish
08-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome, the replies and the helpful links.

Cshplumber, I'm currently living in El Cajon. I'm shopping for homes in the Rancho San Diego and Spring Valley areas. Hopefully I'll be in a new home within the next couple of months.

CMD2213
08-08-2016, 09:24 PM
In those areas please consider heat. So either. Air conditioning or a chiller for the random heat waves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

moon doggy1
08-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Follow build threads they can show in detail what they are trying to do and how to do it.

cshplumber
08-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Yeah moon doggy, build threads are awesome. I am always "shoulda, woulda, coulda". I am really liking the clean sump set ups and the ones where the refugium is a display as well.

Drama D
08-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Is this the puffer off old hywy80?

PufferPhish
08-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Follow build threads they can show in detail what they are trying to do and how to do it.
Yea, I was browsing through the forum yesterday and noticed some awesome building threads, which is exactly what I want to do. I'm actually the owner of Sears Handyman Solutions franchise in SD county, and I have few general contractors and handymen working for me, so getting the work done is not an issue for me. I just need to learn the technicalities of filtration plumbing.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

PufferPhish
08-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Is this the puffer off old hywy80?
No sir. Puffer fish is actually a nickname my wife and sister gave me because my chest puffs up every time I get pissed off lol.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Drama D
08-09-2016, 07:50 PM
Billy?