PDA

View Full Version : my DIY 10g(?) tank

phishphood
03-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Got bored, found some decent acrylic in Ridout's scrap bin. About $10 later and a month or so of 10minute work periods and here I am.

more pics

Specs/equip:
Tank: 24x12x10high. Not fully filled yet. Sides are 1/4" acrylic, bottom is 1/8"
appx: 12g if filled completely.
Attached is a fuge: 10" cube if I remember right..made that one too. Hard plumbed with a 1" OD acrylic tube inlet and 1.25"OD acrylic tube leading back to the tank.
Small pump taken from a Tetra intank filter pushing water into the fuge. Also a small in-tank sponge filter. All tank work was done by me. Drilling and bending was interesting.
Lighting: to come once I order. For now a standard 20" NO fixture mounted above tank. Soon to be 2 HO T-5's hanging above the tank, and 13W PC fixture in an enclosed hood above the fuge.

Also in the works gravity fed topoff ala SoMoney style.

Keep in mind this tank is right next to my bed with just about no sound. My computer fan is louder than anything in it.

Livestock: few misc mushrooms, soon to be my shroom prop tank.
misc snails (few nass. sp and a few others) maybe 2 or 3 hermits? And one huge red hermit in a 3" shell (when I can get pic can someone ID please).

Paired up Randall's shrimp gobies
tiger pistol
2 neon gobies (blue stripe, I think they're both males though, so if anyone wants to trade)
1 xsmall ocellaris from DavidM
1 mandarin (eats mysis :D)
1 peppermint shrimp to keep the aiptasia down
2 sexy shrimp ... awesome things.

Questions/comments/concerns? Let me know. Pics of livestock to come soon :D

dhuynh
03-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Nice acrylic work Mitch.. What tools did you use?

GAD
03-13-2006, 12:41 AM
"1 mandarin (eats mysis )"

Arent you lucky. Where did you find it??

phishphood
03-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Nice acrylic work Mitch.. What tools did you use?

Spent $20 on a heatgun on ebay. Found the pieces precut at ridout, so just used a few 2x4's and clamps to bend the acrylic. Standard weldon 4 and 9 to glue the thing together.

Gad, got it at BR.

jbvdhp
03-13-2006, 09:18 PM
awesome work man....that's mad skill.

WanaLeime
03-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Thats pretty good...was it your first time?

phishphood
03-13-2006, 09:31 PM
First time bending for use in a tank. But I've put a few small-ish cubes together out of 5 pieces from the scrap bin.