PDA

View Full Version : Help Create A Beautiful Tank

TheReefNoob
06-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Hi, I recently joined the reef community and wanted to ask you reefers for help. I've really been fascinated with fishes and decided to create one for my family. After researching, I found out that it is a real expensive hobby and that's why I came here. I would love to have a fish tank to showcase the beauty of this hobby and would appreciate any contribution. I've created a GoFundMe page below and a goal of $500 to help get it started. I will be updating everyone with pictures and videos of the progress, to really make everyone feel involved in this project. Please be apart of this tank and thank you.

https://www.gofundme.com/286ar64

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Welcome to Sdreefs,
I can tell you this. We are a very supportive group and love to help one another but. When a person's first post is asking for funding to a hobby we ourselves pay for an know the cost, might be a bit reluctant to give away money without even knowing the person asking. Many members here help new members by giving them. A few frags of corals. Some starter stuff and so on, but good luck with the go fund me maybe some members will donate but hopefully you understand.my view on this.
Reef on.

Squid
06-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Welcome. In my honest opinion, if you cant afford to get into the hobby, chances are you can't afford to stay in the hobby. Weigh your wants vs needs. Also, I hate gofundme

nanoreef1
06-10-2016, 11:35 AM
Hahaha

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

cshplumber
06-10-2016, 12:19 PM
This hobby is not for the faint of heart. It will chew you up and spit you out if you are not dedicated and someone who does not put their hard earned time and money into it will most likely not have the dedication to keep it going. I believe your go fund me page would be followed by a go maintain me page followed again by a for sale page. Good luck with your tank but be patient. The only thing that comes quickly in this hobby is dead livestock and empty pockets.

swplimited
06-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Lol no offense but $500 wouldn't even get you the light on the tank you have pictured on the gofundme page, welcome to the forum, mabye a introduction and such will help

cshplumber
06-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Let's fund a "Tim's out of the military party"! Don't you have 2 days left?

swplimited
06-10-2016, 12:50 PM
That's correct lol, kind of creepy your tracking that hahaha

nanoreef1
06-10-2016, 12:51 PM
That's correct lol, kind of creepy your tracking that hahaha
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160610/bd79882f0c413b678211bb6dffd6f3bd.jpg

Kris
06-10-2016, 01:56 PM
My life is a gofundme campaign. No freebees refused, as long at they don't come with AEFW, ect.

So I appreciate your moxie Irving, but the SDG&E bill just came and tore my wallet a new one. Goask the Moyle.

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 02:01 PM
That's correct lol, kind of creepy your tracking that hahaha hahaha

cshplumber
06-10-2016, 02:09 PM
I'm tracking more than that. Your girl is almost out of birth control pills and it's time for an oil change on the Hyundai.

cshplumber
06-10-2016, 02:10 PM
Nice P.J.'s too.

Squid
06-10-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm tracking more than that. Your girl is almost out of birth control pills and it's time for an oil change on the Hyundai.

Lmao ��

fijisrfr
06-10-2016, 04:31 PM
Hey everyone, will yous guys buy me a new tank also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandon0350
06-10-2016, 04:35 PM
Lol I like this idea! I need to raise $800 for an acro frag pack! Once they are fragable size, donators can choose a frag from my system... Orange Passion, Walt Disney and many others.... who's in?

fijisrfr
06-10-2016, 04:51 PM
I will pitch in a buck. LMK when I can pick up my frags!
On a serious note, I always feel bad for those who go through the trouble of signing up then get nothing but crap. But then again, you make your bed, you lay in it!

swplimited
06-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Mabye an intro and short story about how you started to atleast help so we know it's not a scam and it's a serious post

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Mabye an intro and short story about how you started to atleast help so we know it's not a scam and it's a serious post
Doesn't mean it's not a scam merely a simple intro with research is easy. But hopefully you find a way to support this hobby I spent 200 bucks today on frag by accident

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Squid
06-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Even if he did an intro I will never give money to someone so they can have or maintain their luxuries. This hobby is a luxury and it irks me when people start gofundme pages because they need money for a necessity but dont want to give up their luxuries. For example when people with expensive reef tanks decide instead of selling their luxuries they start a gofund me for funeral or medical expense.

swplimited
06-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Even if he did an intro I will never give money to someone so they can have or maintain their luxuries. This hobby is a luxury and it irks me when people start gofundme pages because they need money for a necessity but dont want to give up their luxuries. For example when people with expensive reef tanks decide instead of selling their luxuries they start a gofund me for funeral or medical expense.
Truth

sushi
06-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Doesn't mean it's not a scam merely a simple intro with research is easy. But hopefully you find a way to support this hobby I spent 200 bucks today on frag by accident

haha is that true?? man, that must be one nice frag... i hope...

sushi
06-10-2016, 05:52 PM

I sold my tank when I started to run out of beer. Luxuries go first, as you said. :angel:

sushi
06-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Hi, I recently joined the reef community and wanted to ask you reefers for help. I've really been fascinated with fishes and decided to create one for my family. After researching, I found out that it is a real expensive hobby and that's why I came here. I would love to have a fish tank to showcase the beauty of this hobby and would appreciate any contribution. I've created a GoFundMe page below and a goal of $500 to help get it started. I will be updating everyone with pictures and videos of the progress, to really make everyone feel involved in this project. Please be apart of this tank and thank you.

https://www.gofundme.com/286ar64

We feel involved in our own projects, so feeling involved in yours is not much of a motivation. I am not sure if you are serious or not, but if you are, ask yourself why anyone should give you money. Because you want it? Well I want money too. No one is going to give it to me. If you want a $500 tank, then work hard and earn $500 and buy it.

fijisrfr
06-10-2016, 06:05 PM
I'll give you a hundred if you give me a hundred!

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 06:34 PM
haha is that true?? man, that must be one nice frag... i hope...
Sorry i meant frags

jkennedy1007
06-10-2016, 06:35 PM
this is a first

1+ the light comment

GL welcome to SDReeps

cHRoNzZe
06-10-2016, 06:46 PM
I bet this is Jesse Garcia ......:lol:

Try a different route...instead of asking for money try asking for equipment no body's wants anymore..... Plus you can get a use set up for about 200/300$ so why be greedy and ask for more ... Hell I seen people who don't have more then 100$ into a set up and still looks nice due to peolpe hooking them up ....good luck.

If it helps I have a standard ten gallon tank..also have a stand that's beat up and will need some work done but you can have them as a PIF......which means when you don't want it you HAVE to give it away just like it was givin to you

cHRoNzZe
06-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Lmao.... Also I enjoyed all the comment above..... We are what they call..""""".tough love""""

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 06:52 PM
Btw just seen the page and the tank above that gonfundme is about $8000. In.the end tank stand lighting couple grand sps. Dominant expect to dose or run extra equipment and the corals themselves etc.

bstout2014
06-10-2016, 06:53 PM
The advice I've been given and things I've learned on this site have been worth $1000s.

Of course, being a male, I tried doing everything myself first before losing that amount.

ZaxSaid
06-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I bet this is Jesse Garcia ......:lol:

Try a different route...instead of asking for money try asking for equipment no body's wants anymore..... Plus you can get a use set up for about 200/300$ so why be greedy and ask for more ... Hell I seen people who don't have more then 100$ into a set up and still looks nice due to peolpe hooking them up ....good luck.

If it helps I have a standard ten gallon tank..also have a stand that's beat up and will need some work done but you can have them as a PIF......which means when you don't want it you HAVE to give it away just like it was givin to you

Honestly I'm setting up a 20g and I got a number of people telling me when starting out it would be better to have a larger tank since it would be more room but yet less room for error since a slight change in water like let's say 55g may not even be noticed compared to the same level of change in a 10g tank though I shouldn't say that with certainty since I'm also starting out and I'm using a 20g as my first tank though I do have FW keeping experience so that a plus

@the reef noob honestly I myself am struggling making mistakes left and right someone gave me a good deal on a $500 lighting for $200 though I don't have that right now I hope I will by tomorrow head out to the recycling center tomorrow see how much I get from that and I'm almost sure I will be since the most I've ever gotten was $50 so I probably will have to sell things I own I've got be glasses I could sell I got a $500 laptop I never use anymore but I do understand what you mean and against everyone else's judgement I would easily give up all of my things like car don't need one haha got legs to get places meaning that saves me on car payment and lots of other things every opportunity to save and put that towards my tanks I would gladly do it within limits I wouldn't want to have this extremely nice and beautiful tank and not be able to take care of it gotta think about it having a beautiful tank like the ones I dream to have one day aren't cheap and to keep it that way is I'm sure not either I really do hope you find a way to reef because I know personally from seeing others tanks and seeing mine I only hope mine will look as great as theirs one day but I do know it won't be easy and it won't be cheap but that's why we are a community we help each other out I know once I get a larger tank and everything starts rolling I wouldn't mind helping someone with small stuff to help them get things going good luck reef noob hope you don't quit on creating an amazing tank no matter how long it takes you'll fall in love with it

sushi
06-10-2016, 09:11 PM
Hey everyone, will yous guys buy me a new tank also?

I will buy you a tank

http://i.imgur.com/3XNuJZI.jpg

sushi
06-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Sorry i meant frags

I thought you got a baby jawbreaker

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 09:17 PM
I thought you got a baby jawbreaker
Not yet but n I do need a 4th one did grab like 7 shrooms today

SammieT
06-10-2016, 09:41 PM
If you can't afford to start the hobby. Stay out of it

Don't go around begging for money. Don't waste our time with this also.

Honestly. Mods should delete this. It's all BS. He's never gonna post again and I bet he posted on multiple forms to get money out of it

Crap like this pisses me off.

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 09:53 PM
If you can't afford to start the hobby. Stay out of it

Don't go around begging for money. Don't waste our time with this also.

Honestly. Mods should delete this. It's all BS. He's never gonna post again and I bet he posted on multiple forms to get money out of it

Crap like this pisses me off.
But I gave him money!

SammieT
06-10-2016, 09:59 PM
But I gave him money!

In that case we gave him money because it was your unemployment... you know, that tax money we pay for so therefore we all have funds to him at once lol all members on here contributed .01 per person.

cHRoNzZe
06-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Honestly I'm setting up a 20g and I got a number of people telling me when starting out it would be better to have a larger tank since it would be more room but yet less room for error since a slight change in water like let's say 55g may not even be noticed compared to the same level of change in a 10g tank though I shouldn't say that with certainty since I'm also starting out and I'm using a 20g as my first tank though I do have FW keeping experience so that a plus

@the reef noob honestly I myself am struggling making mistakes left and right someone gave me a good deal on a $500 lighting for $200 though I don't have that right now I hope I will by tomorrow head out to the recycling center tomorrow see how much I get from that and I'm almost sure I will be since the most I've ever gotten was $50 so I probably will have to sell things I own I've got be glasses I could sell I got a $500 laptop I never use anymore but I do understand what you mean and against everyone else's judgement I would easily give up all of my things like car don't need one haha got legs to get places meaning that saves me on car payment and lots of other things every opportunity to save and put that towards my tanks I would gladly do it within limits I wouldn't want to have this extremely nice and beautiful tank and not be able to take care of it gotta think about it having a beautiful tank like the ones I dream to have one day aren't cheap and to keep it that way is I'm sure not either I really do hope you find a way to reef because I know personally from seeing others tanks and seeing mine I only hope mine will look as great as theirs one day but I do know it won't be easy and it won't be cheap but that's why we are a community we help each other out I know once I get a larger tank and everything starts rolling I wouldn't mind helping someone with small stuff to help them get things going good luck reef noob hope you don't quit on creating an amazing tank no matter how long it takes you'll fall in love with it

What's your main point on this?? In my opioin beggars can't be choosy is what I'm getting at......like you said you will start selling your things to get a light or things you need for your tank.. Good for you bud I hope this guy gets the point and start selling his things for a tank just like you would... At least for me I have to much pride to ask for money.. especially if its for a luxury... Sorry to be a jerk reef noob but you should be in this hobby!!!! What happens when you need salt water. You going to ask people to pick it up and deliver it for free?? Unless you are a family member from a well know member I don't think you should waste your time here

davocean
06-10-2016, 10:00 PM
this is a first

No, it's not...

OhioStreetz
06-10-2016, 10:16 PM
I just spent that much on a sump bahahahaha

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 10:17 PM
In that case we gave him money because it was your unemployment... you know, that tax money we pay for so therefore we all have funds to him at once lol all members on here contributed .01 per person.
Damn you liquor store bandit you don't pay my taxes I'm not a refugee I pay my own **** lol I have worked all my life. When I need some help from the hundreds of thousand I've paid over my lifetime in taxes I deserve a back up plan but you my friend. Better not ever use government funding any financial aid. Or Sdge discount or anything my tax money goes to . I rebut you lol

nanoreef1
06-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Haha

nanoreef1
06-10-2016, 10:18 PM
Damn you liquor store bandit you don't pay my taxes I'm not a refugee I pay my own **** lol I have worked all my life. When I need some help from the hundreds of thousand I've paid over my lifetime in taxes I deserve a back up plan but you my friend. Better not ever use government funding any financial aid. Or Sdge discount or anything my tax money goes to . I rebut you lol

😅😅😅😅

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 10:18 PM
What's your main point on this?? In my opioin beggars can't be choosy is what I'm getting at......like you said you will start selling your things to get a light or things you need for your tank.. Good for you bud I hope this guy gets the point and start selling his things for a tank just like you would... At least for me I have to much pride to ask for money.. especially if its for a luxury... Sorry to be a jerk reef noob but you should be in this hobby!!!! What happens when you need salt water. You going to ask people to pick it up and deliver it for free?? Unless you are a family member from a well know member I don't think you should waste your time here
Ish doesn't ask for money he wants free labor lol
Damn ish trump for president

SammieT
06-10-2016, 10:19 PM

Lmfaoooooooooo

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 10:19 PM
It's not a sump.until the dust is replaced with water shaun lol

nanoreef1
06-10-2016, 10:22 PM

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160611/cb13370302b9cdb3c23b359f3ef6ddf8.jpg

ZaxSaid
06-10-2016, 10:23 PM
if you looked at a tank that someone else put together and it looks just amazing and you find it beautiful but if you looked at a tank that you went and put work into it and you worked hard to get it where it is even if my tank won't ever be at the same level as everyone else when I look at my tank it's mostly all me sure they're a few things that I have gotten from others like a few pieces of rocks to help get my tank going but overall I can look at my tank and even if it is 20g who knows I could easily upgrade to 30 then 40 and so on might actually skip 30 and go to 40 haha but I will always be proud of my tank because it is something that I worked for

cHRoNzZe
06-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Lmao...... :lol:
We need more threads like this

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Man this one got hyped up real quick

SammieT
06-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Lmao...... :lol:
We need more threads like this
Hoarder!

SammieT
06-10-2016, 10:51 PM
Man this one got hyped up real quick

Just like your spending from unemployment lmfaooo

*waits for a smart ass remark*

*insert here* lol

sushi
06-10-2016, 10:51 PM
get the pitchforks out!!!

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Just like your spending from unemployment lmfaooo

*waits for a smart ass remark*

*insert here* lol Hey Sam I noticed you're just a regular non member....
Did you know that us paying premium member pay your fees to have this site open for you the NON SUPPORTING MEMBER to shop the great deals. A hole lol

SammieT
06-10-2016, 10:55 PM
Hey Sam I noticed you're just a regular non member....
Did you know that us paying premium member pay your fees to have this site open for you the NON SUPPORTING MEMBER to shop the great deals. A hole lol
Lol when you pay for it. We all pay for it lol

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 10:56 PM
Lol when you pay for it. We all pay for it lol
****..lol. you damn freeloader

sushi
06-10-2016, 11:00 PM
dang! to the hilt!

nanoreef1
06-10-2016, 11:05 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160611/fd21078e9c28694f1e6c62c84aa283dd.jpgHaha...

CMD2213
06-10-2016, 11:08 PM
Hector. About time you posted a picture you didn't have to photoshop yourself into hahaha

nanoreef1
06-10-2016, 11:11 PM
Hector. About time you posted a picture you didn't have to photoshop yourself into hahaha

Hahaha I want to see Dory!!!

lotus457
06-10-2016, 11:22 PM
You have to be kidding me a go fund me, really smh 😡

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

xL30NxCREATORX
06-10-2016, 11:39 PM
Reminded me of south park lol
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160611/dd45aceb53ee10f757c47e862a94a31e.jpg

fijisrfr
06-11-2016, 07:22 AM

No, it's a sump the moment the glue contacts the acrylic

FDdragon
06-11-2016, 07:59 AM
Wow, these things actually exist?
Well I would say that if you need help getting started then you aren't ready for this hobby. This takes time and money so you if you dont have money to maintain the tank...well...say goodbye to your livestock and all that money people donated to help get you started because chances are it will all die.

Start small and see how it goes for you. You can find great deals on here all the time so be patient and you can get a nice setup very inexpensive.

Good luck.

SammieT
06-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Wow, these things actually exist?
Well I would say that if you need help getting started then you aren't ready for this hobby. This takes time and money so you if you dot have money to maintain the tank...well...say goodbye to your livestock and all that money people donated to help get you started.

Start small and see how it goes for you. You can find great deals on here all the time so be patient and you can get a nice setup very inexpensive.

Good luck.
Or you can be like ish and hoard like 50+ tanks with stands lol

jason142
06-11-2016, 08:04 AM
I am going to lock this thread down, got way out of hand. OP if you have any questions pm me.