PDA

View Full Version : What happend to my avatar?

WanaLeime
03-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I guess my DUMB A$$ erased my avatar...how do you put one back up?

SanDiegoReefs
03-07-2006, 11:23 PM
See this thread:
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12162&highlight=avatar

It's was an unpopular change made with the new site design. It helps keep the site costs down, and the freebie accounts free. Custom avatars are enabled for GOLD or PLATINUM members in return for the support. Basically, it was setup so that regular/heavy users can contribute to the site, and get expanded access in return (larger PM boxes, custom avatars, increased image allocations, etc), while the ones who don't use the site very much can still have a free account.

WanaLeime
03-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Kewl, thanks for the explanation moore.....

WanaLeime
03-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I guess I gotta fork up the $5 =P

SanDiegoReefs
03-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Well... if you want to, and can... it's actually a great deal. It gets a lot of flack from some people around here, but it's turned out to be a great way to keep the site running. And it's nice to be able to reward those who can donate: the Platinum Members get great discounts with sponsors, and the PM boxes and stuff extras are also great.

pk-sd
03-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Just do it Dennis. Just imagine how empty your life would be if this site went away.

I hate to see this in 5 o'clock news "150 local reefers jump of the Coronado bay bridge today".

mj1333
03-08-2006, 09:09 AM
For 5 bucks its well worth it. Just the discounts and tips i get from people in this forum are worth it, but when you add store discounts as well, it more than pays for itself after the first purchase.

WanaLeime
03-08-2006, 10:27 AM
NO doubt! Im gonna do it...Im just going to wait til I get my new cube running, so I can take advantage of the discounts....=)

wsonner
03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
See this thread:
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12162&highlight=avatar

It's was an unpopular change made with the new site design. It helps keep the site costs down, and the freebie accounts free. Custom avatars are enabled for GOLD or PLATINUM members in return for the support. Basically, it was setup so that regular/heavy users can contribute to the site, and get expanded access in return (larger PM boxes, custom avatars, increased image allocations, etc), while the ones who don't use the site very much can still have a free account.

Somebody said that there are 1000 members here. Is that true? How can it possibly cost THOUSANDS of dollars per month to run this site??

MrKrispy
03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
only a handful of people have contributed money, but around 100 or so people seem to login per day.

wsonner
03-08-2006, 01:01 PM
only a handful of people have contributed money, but around 100 or so people seem to login per day.

I do NOT mind contributing. I periodically send $50 or so to Wet Web Media. But it would seriously bother me to be told that it is money to support the site and then find out that someone is making a killing off of it. It's like, well, communism :-). So if we find there's more money than it costs let's have a party or sumpthin.

SanDiegoReefs
03-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Yes there are about 1,000 registered members (I pruned several hundred inactive accounts when I did the last site update). No, I didn't say it costs "$1 per registered member per month" to run this site. I'm not sure why you threw out that number.

There are a handful of people who have contributed to this site in the past, and they were never really rewarded for their contribution. The Platinum Membership is available for those who DO want to contribute... as reward/recognition for their donations. The fact that people have complained about an OPTIONAL membership is reflective of the direction that this site has gone (ask Marlo, Chap, etc... some of our top posters don't bother visiting anymore).

There is absolutely NO reason for people to complain about it. It's entirely optional, and the benefits from it are ridiculously worth it (ask any member who's made use of his discounts).

The bottom line for users is basically: if you don't want to contribute, don't. But if you're complaining because the free services aren't all that you'd like them to be, you're probably using the site heavily enough to warrant contribution.

Ahhh wellll... who woulda thought there'd be such politics in reefkeeping.

=]

wsonner
03-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Yes there are about 1,000 registered members (I pruned several hundred inactive accounts when I did the last site update). No, I didn't say it costs "$1 per registered member per month" to run this site. I'm not sure why you threw out that number.

There are a handful of people who have contributed to this site in the past, and they were never really rewarded for their contribution. The Platinum Membership is available for those who DO want to contribute... as reward/recognition for their donations. The fact that people have complained about an OPTIONAL membership is reflective of the direction that this site has gone (ask Marlo, Chap, etc... some of our top posters don't bother visiting anymore).

There is absolutely NO reason for people to complain about it. It's entirely optional, and the benefits from it are ridiculously worth it (ask any member who's made use of his discounts).

The bottom line for users is basically: if you don't want to contribute, don't. But if you're complaining because the free services aren't all that you'd like them to be, you're probably using the site heavily enough to warrant contribution.

Ahhh wellll... who woulda thought there'd be such politics in reefkeeping.

=]

Ok Ok...I paid :-).

SanDiegoReefs
03-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Hah... and if we get to a point where there are too many people contributing.... we'll throw a monthly Platinum Member Pizza night or something. Cause I could go for that..... mmmm... pizzzaaa...

wsonner
03-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Hah... and if we get to a point where there are too many people contributing.... we'll throw a monthly Platinum Member Pizza night or something. Cause I could go for that..... mmmm... pizzzaaa...

I figure I owe that much since all of my live rock came from you :-).

SanDiegoReefs
03-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Hah... yeah, the deal of the century. I was looking at old pictures of my tank, that rock was purrrrple.

wsonner
03-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Hah... yeah, the deal of the century. I was looking at old pictures of my tank, that rock was purrrrple.

It still is. You can come visit it any time.