PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii vacation input

pk-sd
03-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Looking for some information on where to stay (or not to) in Hawaii(Kauai and Maui). Mostly interested in renting a condo. Also are there any travel agents here as we wanted to get a fly/stay/drive package with Island hopping option.

PK

WanaLeime
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I got married in MAUI, More things to do in Lahaina...shopping, big name hotels. KEIHEI (i forget how to spell it) has a mall, and resort style accommadations. PM if i your interested, I got time share out in MAUI that you can rent. make sure to take a couple of snorkelling trips out there, its awesome. The MOLOKAI trip was great, but I liked the half day trip canoe/snorkel ( they take you to various spots via rent a canoe) you gotta be in decent shape...its about 5-10 miles worth of paddling, but not all at once....

swissfish
03-06-2006, 11:30 AM
When I went to Hawaii I wasnted to travel from Island to Island and i bocked everything over there. I was staying mostely in nice hotels and it was about $80-100 a night inclunding a rental car snd the flights between islands were$30 But again that was in 98:).

I really liked the Big Island with the active fulcano and Kawaii for hiking.

MrKrispy
03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
i think inter-island flights are around $125 now.

If you go to Kauai stay in the southern part of the island. There isn't much in the northern part to do except a little hiking. It takes about an hour to get to the south part of the island where all the activities and roads to activities are. There is a lot of hiking and great beaches all over the island.

If you go to Maui, stay on the west part of the island. Lahaina has the big collection of restaurants and stuff. Kihei is a little more relaxed but a lot of the resorts are down there. The beaches seem to be better near Kihei/Waileia. They are about an hour apart. If you go to Maui, besides the snorkeling you have to check out either the volcano or the Road to Hana. You can day hike or backpack the volcano, it is amazing. The Road to Hana takes up an entire day of driving, but well worth it at least once in your life.
Hana is nothing to see, the drive there is where all the good stuff is at. Old lava flows, beaches, cliffs, waterfalls, really steep cliffs, a state park with the 7 pools, and REALLY REALLY steep cliffs. I am quite manly, but some of the driving along the cliffs was pretty sketchy.

If you are hoping for night life neither island has a lot of that. You definitely need to rent a car too.

Limbo
03-06-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree with Krispy about Kauai.

Stay in Poipu or Koloa (Southern Kauai). There is KILLER diving next to Whaler's Cove in a spot called Koloa Point. It is pretty secluded, and nobody really knows about it. You might be the only ones there. When my wife and I dove there, we were the only ones. Hundreds of types of fish, and giant sea turtles as well.

Jim

aquacultureCS
03-06-2006, 04:27 PM
In Maui you should also check out the Maui Ocean Center. It's between Lahaina and Kihei basically.

pk-sd
03-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Thank you all for the inputs. I was at Kauai in 1991 for 3 months(work) and I stayed at Poipu Kai. Other than no AC it wasn't too bad. I am sure Kauai has changed a lot since then. Anyone stayed at any condos in Poipu area lately?

PK

Roger
03-07-2006, 12:03 AM
I was pleased with the condos at the grand champions in maui. The condo we stayed in was real nice. It had a golf course right in front of the balcony and an unobstructed view of the sunset. The best part is it didn't cost an arm and a leg to stay for 7 days.