PDA

View Full Version : Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon

nanoreefbro
03-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Has anyone ever used Marineland Black Diamond Premium Activated Carbon? I hear that it is better than Chemi pure..

shmitr
03-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I have. Honestly counldn't tell the difference between it and the cheap stuff.

Dakota
03-05-2006, 11:27 PM
I've used Chemi-pure's stuff... it's awesome stuff.. but kind of pricey.. I've also used the marineland carbon stuff.. it works.... the Chemi-pure stuff may be better for you since you have sick fish and stuff. . . helps the bio-filter and everything.

GoTakuF1
03-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Anyone want to go in on a group buy for carbon?

Dakota
03-05-2006, 11:53 PM
If you guys want to buy the chemipure stuff I can get it pretty cheap and someone can run up to CA to pick it up :-D PM me if interested...

MrKrispy
03-06-2006, 08:57 AM
the marineland stuff is really good carbon. I use that or the ESV (makers of B-ionic) carbon. Both seem to be really good quality and I didn't get algae/phosphate blooms after using them. Stay away from the cheap carbons, and the ones that come free with filters.

pitfish
03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
I use the carbon that AW sells, the generic looking bags under the fluval media, across from the books. It's called Premium Virgin GAC by Aquatic Marine Technologies. I've also noticed that a couple reefers I've met here also use it. It seems to work well, or at least I haven't noticed any problems with it. As long as the Marineland stuff doesnt leak phosphates it should be just as good. The only problem I had with some of the marineland stuff was when I used the small diameter media... that stuff gets everywhere.

Limbo
03-06-2006, 02:47 PM
GROUP BUY !!! LOL

pitfish: I used that carbon from AW forever, and it worked well. I switched to the Marineland Black Diamond when I heard people raving about it, and even though it is more expensive, I use it now because it seems to work better.

I use it in a reactor, and after a change, I can REALLY notice a difference in clarity.

Jim

lucubrator
03-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Jim, are you using it in a two little fishies seperate from the one you run phosban (or rowaphos) in?
I was thinking about putting another sponge in above the phosmedia, and putting carbon above that.

Limbo
03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
Hey N,

I have 2 of those reactors,

I use 1 for the Rowaphos by itself, and the other I use for Purigen and carbon.

I do what you mentioned in the second one.....run the Purigen, then a layer of filter floss, and then the carbon.

Seems to work well,....I might just switch back to all carbon because I have had really good luck with the BD carbon.

Jim

lucubrator
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
How's the flow through the carbon filter? The Rowaphos flow is pretty low, I wonder if a long contact time for carbon would be good for it.