PDA

View Full Version : Anemones

Bosco
03-05-2006, 09:36 AM
So I am on my third anemone, all others have died. I just converted my 29 gal to a 40 gal acrylic and all levels are gret so I thought I would try again w/ a bulb tipped anemone. I put him in last night and this morning he has strolled his way into one of the caves and is hanging upside down. My first anemone found a flat rock and hung upside down under and died about a month later. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

supaboy1981
03-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Ever use copper in that tank?? What are you acclimation prcedures?

Dakota
03-05-2006, 10:56 AM
What ARE you tank paramters? Lighting? FLow? Age of tank?

Bosco
03-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't use copper at all. I acclimated him for half an hour last night, every 5 minutes I just poured about 2 TBLSP's of my tank water. Like I said I just converted my 29 gal to a 40 gal acrylic and am running a 96w coral lite, 1 900maxi-jet powerhead on one side and a lesser one on the otherside. I think my tank parameters are ideal, but I have just had the worst luck. I'd like to do something for this guy if there's anything I can do.

BigAir
03-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Most people say that the tank should be atleast 6months to 1yr old before you add any anenome.

Dakota
03-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Yes, but converting stirs up the sand, which initiates a mini-cycle in most cases. And how long was the 29 setup before you converted?

Also, I don't think 96watts of PC are enough for an anemone. it'd be best to give/sell/trade him away at this point until you find the problem and get better lighting.

Bosco
03-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Actrually the 29 gallon was alomst two years old and all the rock except for two new already cured pieces of LR was added and at least 50% of the water from the 29 gallon was kept. Amonia, Nitrite, phospates are all at perfect levels but the Nitrate is high which I am treating that now and hope that it's at good levels by tomorrow. I went over to the Pond Source after my last post and spoke to someone over there. He suggested at last resort put the anemone in a PVC tube and see if he'll stay. When I got home I turned the rock that he hid under upside down and he seems to have fit himself really nicely in the rock. It actually seemed like he went under the rock purposely like he wanted me to flip it over. We'll see how it goes. I tried to post some pictures but I couldn't get it to work or I am doing something wrong.

Nigritude
03-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Oh wow, Bosco, your tank specifications are almost identical to my tank, except my anemones are thriving.

I dont think lighting is a problem, I am using 96's and my anemones are doing fine. You might want to switch to 620 seios. My anemones are definetly happier with the seios than the 900 maxijets. Anemones look for flow and rock structure where they can put their foot into.

My first anemone had no problem in finding a spot but my second one was very very picky. It travelled all over the place and at one point I was worried that it was going to die. As soon as I switched to the seios, it found a spot for it self and has stayed put.

Were your anemones eating? That might give you a clue if they are happy or not. Also, did you cover your powerheads with sponge to prevent accidental shredding?

Reading this article might help you. I am hoping my tank willl look like that some day.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php

Good luck with it!

Bosco
03-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Wow that is an awesome article. Thanks. I keep checking out my tank and he seems to be settling in nicely. Since I uprighted the rock he was hanging from the underneath he hasn't moved at all. I wish I could post these pictures for all to see. Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to post pics or something I am doing wrong. I am just hitting the paperclip and it just doesn't do anything. Thanks.