PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Probe

dhuynh
03-03-2006, 01:19 AM
I was playing w/ my holding tank and got shocked. I think it was leaking from one of my heater. Will adding a grounding probe to the tank prevent electric shocks?

dhuynh
03-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Nah.. I have a new heater, but I was just thinking that this could be dangerous if you stick your hands in your tank one day and got shocked do to a faulty device. I was just thinking of what can be done to prevent this.

GoTakuF1
03-03-2006, 02:20 AM
Yes, it will remove stray voltage. As with any tank set up, be sure to have a GFCI and grounding probe installed to save yourself, your home and your livestock. Good luck!

dhuynh
03-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Gonna go get one tomorrow. I only felt the shock because I have a small cut on one of my fingers.

Yes, it will remove stray voltage. As with any tank set up, be sure to have a GFCI and grounding probe installed to save yourself, your home and your livestock. Good luck!

GoTakuF1
03-03-2006, 02:42 AM
I have an extra one if you need it Danny. OG has it for ~$12, I believe.

lucubrator
03-03-2006, 10:06 AM
NO NO NO NO NO!
http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM/Aquarium/GroundingProbes.html

Just try to not stand in puddles while you play around in the tank.
And if you have small cuts, wear gloves.

BrookR1
03-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I agree with the above. It's better to find out what's causing the stray voltage and replace it by plugging/unplugging each device than to buy a grounding probe and mask the problem.

dhuynh
03-03-2006, 12:28 PM
How do I figure which device is faulty w/o sticking my hand in the water?
I got shocked 10 times while plugging and unplugging different devices to figure it out.

I agree with the above. It's better to find out what's causing the stray voltage and replace it by plugging/unplugging each device than to buy a grounding probe and mask the problem.

dhuynh
03-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Thanks Nick.

NO NO NO NO NO!
http://avdil.gtri.gatech.edu/RCM/RCM/Aquarium/GroundingProbes.html

Just try to not stand in puddles while you play around in the tank.
And if you have small cuts, wear gloves.

Dakota
03-03-2006, 12:41 PM
try unplugging everything and then plug in one thing at a time.. use a volotomter if possible.. OR use your hand.... return pump...clean.... skimmer pump... clean.. heater --ZAP-- problem found!!

BrookR1
03-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah...I use Dakota's method. It helps if you have a small cut on your finger. It increases the sensitivity.

MrKrispy
03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
does it matter if you are standing in a puddle if you have your arm in a tank full of electrified water? I would think having rubber soled shoes/flip flops would be better heheh.

pk-sd
03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
I am amazed how people risk their lives based on one idiots website. There is a reasons why millions of devices in the world have grounds on them.

adampweiss
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I am amazed how people risk their lives based on one idiots website. There is a reasons why millions of devices in the world have grounds on them.

I agree that the main reason for having a grounding probe is our own safety. Ideally there would be a grounding probe that not only allows current to flow to ground through a wire instead of our arms, but also signals the presence of high voltage potentials so that we know when we need to look for that busted heater.

lucubrator
03-03-2006, 03:56 PM
so the fish don't feel nothing because they aren't grounded?
Right, there isn't a favorable current path through them.

lucubrator
03-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I agree that the main reason for having a grounding probe is our own safety. Ideally there would be a grounding probe that not only allows current to flow to ground through a wire instead of our arms, but also signals the presence of high voltage potentials so that we know when we need to look for that busted heater.

There is such a device, it's called a GFI.

There are people who believe such electrical neutralizing devices (attaching such a conductor "drains" loose electrons back to our big ole spinning charged planet...) help... Good ones don't hurt... I don't use them, but do utilize ground fault interrupters... lest there are appreciable charges that I don't want flowing twixt me and "ground" or through the livestock...
Yes, grounding probes can be fit in your main system... My best advice for folks who want to use these tools: mark your date book, calendar and religiously check them every six months (at the greatest interval) for corrosion, connection... Take the unit out and thoroughly clean it, and reinstall.... Have seen MANY of these devices dissolve in marine systems (even in Public aquariums!).
Bob Fenner

dhuynh
03-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Even with GFI installed, you'll still get strayed current, which cause a mild shock when you stick your hand in the tank.

I think I'll get a probe anyway and plug it in when I have my hands in the tank and use a meter to test the water for faulty devices.

With that in mind, how to you test for dangerous current or even stray current in the water? I assume we'll be measuring Amps? mA? I stick one probe into the water, and one to ground?

There is such a device, it's called a GFI.

lucubrator
03-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey Pk: You keep saying that electricity takes the path of least resistance. We both know that's not true! It takes all paths!
Also, you said that you'd never been shocked by a ground? If you use large inductors, it's easy to be shocked when you're holding onto ground. You develop a voltage well below earth ground when the magnetic field collapses.

It takes 4-6 ma for ~5 nanoseconds (one billion nanoseconds in a second) draining to ground to trip a standard gfci, and it takes 6-200ma for 1-3 seconds to stop a heart.
I think the idea here though, is that with GFI you're protected in the case that there is a short to ground through you. If you have a grounding probe, the gfi will trip without you being there. Just.. stick your right hand in the water first, and you won't have to worry about stopping your heart ;).

pk-sd
03-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Pk: You keep saying that electricity takes the path of least resistance. We both know that's not true! It takes all paths!
Also, you said that you'd never been shocked by a ground? If you use large inductors, it's easy to be shocked when you're holding onto ground. You develop a voltage well below earth ground when the magnetic field collapses.

It takes 4-6 ma for ~5 nanoseconds (one billion nanoseconds in a second) draining to ground to trip a standard gfci, and it takes 6-200ma for 1-3 seconds to stop a heart.
I think the idea here though, is that with GFI you're protected in the case that there is a short to ground through you. If you have a grounding probe, the gfi will trip without you being there. Just.. stick your right hand in the water first, and you won't have to worry about stopping your heart ;).

Nick, I agree with what you say. That's why I have both GFI and grounding probe. I want the tank to shutdown as soon as there is enough stray voltage in the tank. With an open top and kids in the house, I do not want to take a chance.

I think everyone must have GFI, but adding grounding probe is wise and cheap saftey enhancement.

sandiego92155
03-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I was playing w/ my holding tank and got shocked. I think it was leaking from one of my heater. Will adding a grounding probe to the tank prevent electric shocks?
Is your heater under warranty? If so, tell the manufacturer it's faulty even though you're not sure it's the problem. Sometimes they'll replace products out of warranty. Just to be safe, then you'll have a new one.

dhuynh
03-04-2006, 02:29 AM
I told the guy I got the heater from that it shocked me and he said "that sucks". Either way, I got a grounding probe and it didn't really work. I ended up just unplugging the heater, wear rubber globes, and made sure I wasn't bear foot.

Is your heater under warranty? If so, tell the manufacturer it's faulty even though you're not sure it's the problem. Sometimes they'll replace products out of warranty. Just to be safe, then you'll have a new one.