PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: Wholesale prices

dhuynh
03-01-2006, 10:55 PM
This is just a feeler. I'm wondering how many people will be interested in paying $30/6months or $50/year for access to wholesale prices on fish/corals/LR/dry goods. I'm thinking of making one run a month. Members will get wholesale prices + tax for uncle sam.

Anyone? LMK.

I figure if you buy a $50 fish at the LFS, you would save about $25 if you got it at wholesale price. This is worth it if you plan to buy over $100 worth of fish stuff a year!

Any suggestions? I will provide a holding area for the fish/corals for QT. If a fish comes back sick, you won't be responsible for the cost.

supaboy1981
03-02-2006, 12:52 AM
Some how I see you getting screwed in this deal.

dhuynh
03-02-2006, 03:15 AM
I don't know. Seems like it would work. I guess the idea is not to lose money on it.... which is the opposite of making money. The time I spend on it will be consider "hobby" time. =)

So far, the runs I've made turned out pretty well when people actually picked up their stuff. I've met a lot great people and a lot of people have saved a bunch of money.

Some how I see you getting screwed in this deal.

WanaLeime
03-02-2006, 07:14 AM
So if I pay $30(6months), I'll get access to WHLSE Prices...Then I request fish/coral/stuffs when you go up, (can i go myself?) then you'll QT...If something dies or gets sick you cover the loss? (I guess part the of $30 is insurance)Thats a MIGHTY GOOD DEAL! I would DEFINITELY be INTERESTED...BUT I would feel I like Im taking advantage of you =( so WHEN do I pay =) LOL

dvincent
03-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Where do i sign up? I have already spent $300 since last saturday between AW and OG on fish and supplies, would like to save a little if possible. Darrin

treylane
03-02-2006, 07:42 AM
danny - you'll wind up getting screwed anyway unless you lay down the LAW on the cheapasses. Some of the livestock you pick up won't be *exactly* what the customer ordered and they'll refuse to take it, or some will die on the way home from the wholesalers, etc. Tis cool to do for friends sometime, but will get you in trouble if you're dealing with people you don't know very well.

Poacher
03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
I wouldnt advise doing this as a business untillyou fully researched all the potential pitfalls. Disatisfied customers,big orders of 500 pounds LR ect, Tranportation of livestock, gas and maintanence on vehicule, sales tax issues, accounting,bookeeping, electricity costs, livestock die off, equipment and mainanence, additional time from other pursuits, mad loved ones,........

viability-profitability-scaleability

Upside- It sounds like fun...

I need a lg Hammer coral, Dej tang, bellus angel,

M. Parkis
03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
I'll sign up for the $50 per year when my license expires.:) This is a much better deal than running a business myself.

dhuynh
03-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Here's some of the things that members would have to realize:

- there's no guarantee that what is requested will be available at the wholesalers
- there's no guarantee on livestock once they're picked up from me
- maybe I can have people "prepaid" or leave a deposit for what they order, in case someone doesn't pick up their stuff.
- The QT is temporary until you can pick up. I would want people to pick up the same day, but sometime this is not possible.
- There won't be any negotiation on the prices. Basically, there's no markup so you pay wholesale + tax.
- I will NOT be bringing people to the wholesalers.
-

Proacher, all good points. I'll have to put limits to how many items someone can order and how many lbs.

This is just an idea I had. This would work if there's enough interest. The spin-off from this would be:
- ebaying corals
- reselling corals/fish to locals above wholesale prices

I'll have to adjust the membership fee according to how many people are interested.

MrKrispy
03-02-2006, 09:59 AM
wow nice concept but I am guessing you haven't had to deal with too many people yet. I get frustrated just trying to get people to show up for stuff they say "I will definitely take!"

reef
03-02-2006, 10:23 AM
What is the total cost of the wholesale license? Is this what the semi-annual or annual dues are paying?

lucubrator
03-02-2006, 10:51 AM
wow nice concept but I am guessing you haven't had to deal with too many people yet. I get frustrated just trying to get people to show up for stuff they say "I will definitely take!"
Even if it's free!

evol
03-02-2006, 10:51 AM
"viability-profitability-scaleability" -proacher
very true. Danny you have to figure cost on return as well. Yes its great that your extending this offer to everyone on the forum, but look out for yourself too man. Gas, maintenence on your vehicle, time and everything else proacher mentioned. Its a smart idea just to give you some security. But yea im probably sure you have thought htis over. =)

dhuynh
03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm still thinking about it. I just feel that there's probably a better way to make money from reefing. Everyone complains about the cost from the LFS. I think that's got to be a way to get products to customers at a reasonable price and still make money from it.

Here's some of the problems I can see:
- people flaking: can be solved by doing prepaid or leaving a deposit. If they flake, they lose out.
- vehicle maintenance/gas/accounting, etc.. - this will need to be taken into consideration.
- Time - this does take a lot of time... but it'll be doing something I love anyway.
- People forming their own "group buy", getting one membership, and getting a bunch of stuff. - PEOPLE will be people... not sure how to deal with this one.

This is just talk right now. What if memberships were $10/month?

"viability-profitability-scaleability" -proacher
very true. Danny you have to figure cost on return as well. Yes its great that your extending this offer to everyone on the forum, but look out for yourself too man. Gas, maintenence on your vehicle, time and everything else proacher mentioned. Its a smart idea just to give you some security. But yea im probably sure you have thought htis over. =)

Flamehawk
03-02-2006, 02:12 PM
speaking of LFS....they definitly won 't like this idea...:D

dhuynh
03-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Of course LFS won't like this idea. It's more competition for them.

To make sure that this stays ethical, I won't be solicitating this service at the LFS. After that long drawn out discussion a few months back about trading corals in front of LFS, I don't even do that anymore.

speaking of LFS....they definitly won 't like this idea...:D

MrKrispy
03-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Even if it's free!

haha well those people are usually pretty good ;)

Phischy
03-03-2006, 01:34 AM
I can say I really appreciate when locals make a wholesale run to LA for the forum members. I've gotten several great pieces at great prices. I'm always interested when someone makes a run but not enough of a 'nut' to buy something on every trip. I mostly look for frags to grow out (yeah I like the cheap route BUT I always am prompt and pay cash, no flakers here).

So, if you decide to do this I would be interested in an occasional run deal, but not a monthly fee.

lucubrator
03-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree with Phishy. You're supposed to go slow when stocking a tank anyway, right? I'd much rather pay a per-item charge, based on the cost of the item.

chin_monster
03-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Most likely a cost + a percentage (15 -20%?) would work out better, I would imagine. That would give you uncle Arnie's share and a bit left over for expenses. My two cents anyway, FWIW.

supaboy1981
03-04-2006, 12:26 AM
You realize you wont be allowed in any of the LFS anymore either. I dunno if that matters to you or not. I dont know I mean it sounds like a cool idea and the pre pay is a good way to protect yourself but Like they said before people get demanding even when you are doing them a favor. Examples are item isnt excactly what they wanted and if they are a big enough ass I can see legal problems in this too. Not to mention if you get audited by the IRS. What happens if you blow a breaker in your house and your whole QT dies are you gonna invest in a generator too?? Or if a box fish some one wants so dearly dies and realeases all the toxins into the holding tanks. Hundred potentially thousands of dollars loss there if you plan on covering their expenses if it dies in your care. The same is a potential problem in stores too but they usually have insurance or something to back that up or have been in business long enough to keep a nest egg for such occurances

dhuynh
03-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Why wouldn't I be allowed at the LFS anymore? I'm still a customer. Maybe I won't be allow in because I'm making some noise?

Legal problems only occurs if you do something illegal. There will be no problem if I get audited. I pay ALL my taxes.

Regarding the breakers, that's a risk, just like keeping any fish tank. Most people do not have generators installed even when they have 10K+ invested in their tank. For me, I have a couple of UPS running... and YES, I will be looking at getting a generator once my setup is complete.

There are lots of "What Ifs" when you're trying to start something new. I guess I'll just have to look at everything and figure out if it's worth doing.

Most likely, I will just be doing this for people I know personally. There are lots of unappreciative people out there, and THAT is the single most convincing reason not to open this resource to everyone else. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

You realize you wont be allowed in any of the LFS anymore either. I dunno if that matters to you or not. I dont know I mean it sounds like a cool idea and the pre pay is a good way to protect yourself but Like they said before people get demanding even when you are doing them a favor. Examples are item isnt excactly what they wanted and if they are a big enough ass I can see legal problems in this too. Not to mention if you get audited by the IRS. What happens if you blow a breaker in your house and your whole QT dies are you gonna invest in a generator too?? Or if a box fish some one wants so dearly dies and realeases all the toxins into the holding tanks. Hundred potentially thousands of dollars loss there if you plan on covering their expenses if it dies in your care. The same is a potential problem in stores too but they usually have insurance or something to back that up or have been in business long enough to keep a nest egg for such occurances

Poacher
03-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Can I be your friend? Pleeeese....

lucubrator
03-04-2006, 12:58 PM
A wholesale co-op/club sounds good.

I think this is how REI got their start.

Som1else
03-04-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm in, this seems like a cool idea to me too. I've gotten some things from danny too and its always nice to save a little cash here and there. BTW, the sebae anemone is moving around the tank but has yet to open all the way.

supaboy1981
03-04-2006, 09:55 PM
Why wouldn't I be allowed at the LFS anymore? I'm still a customer. Maybe I won't be allow in because I'm making some noise?

Legal problems only occurs if you do something illegal. There will be no problem if I get audited. I pay ALL my taxes.

Regarding the breakers, that's a risk, just like keeping any fish tank. Most people do not have generators installed even when they have 10K+ invested in their tank. For me, I have a couple of UPS running... and YES, I will be looking at getting a generator once my setup is complete.

There are lots of "What Ifs" when you're trying to start something new. I guess I'll just have to look at everything and figure out if it's worth doing.

Most likely, I will just be doing this for people I know personally. There are lots of unappreciative people out there, and THAT is the single most convincing reason not to open this resource to everyone else. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

I am not hating Danny please dont take it the wrong way. I would just hate to see a nice guy like you get taken advantage of by flakes and crappy folk thats all.

fish fu
03-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Gas to La, electric, space for live stock, die off, food, business income taxes, flakes, time............... You're time's worth more than that. Go fix a computer for an hour and you'll have money, not losses.
I've had a $30 LTA in my fluval, a $35 fish get killed by a snail, a $35 dollar shark dryed up on the flore...... At you're price there's three customers you're working long hours for, not even for free, out of you'r pocket. When Ron gose to LA it's 14 hours, for me it's a 12 hour day. You're cool but you'r way of on the math. Where you going to keep all the live stock? coolers? lost in you're 500 gal? fighting in a 55 gal, in a bag till the flake shows? I bust my but every day for a year and take a loss and you know you can't move any where the amount of what I do. You should have just asked me. Ron dosn't make a profit some weeks. hold on, I take it all back! I want in on this! I go up all the time and It's $60 in gas for me. let me know when you're going up next. I'll pay for 2 years worth!

dhuynh
03-06-2006, 07:00 PM
LOL..

Gas to La, electric, space for live stock, die off, food, business income taxes, flakes, time............... You're time's worth more than that. Go fix a computer for an hour and you'll have money, not losses.
I've had a $30 LTA in my fluval, a $35 fish get killed by a snail, a $35 dollar shark dryed up on the flore...... At you're price there's three customers you're working long hours for, not even for free, out of you'r pocket. When Ron gose to LA it's 14 hours, for me it's a 12 hour day. You're cool but you'r way of on the math. Where you going to keep all the live stock? coolers? lost in you're 500 gal? fighting in a 55 gal, in a bag till the flake shows? I bust my but every day for a year and take a loss and you know you can't move any where the amount of what I do. You should have just asked me. Ron dosn't make a profit some weeks. hold on, I take it all back! I want in on this! I go up all the time and It's $60 in gas for me. let me know when you're going up next. I'll pay for 2 years worth!

fish fu
03-06-2006, 07:05 PM
fed ex ~ $40 for 5lb box.
Danny ~ $30 for what ever, once a month.
PLUS livestock at holesale prices!
Yep, that sounds good to me.
I'm in.

dhuynh
03-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Jim, like you said, it's not worth doing because I can go fix a network for an hour and make the same. I think I'll just do this for people that I know personally... I wasn't offering to do this to make a business out of it.

BUT... there's got to be a better way to make money from reefers than openning an AW.

supaboy1981
03-06-2006, 07:35 PM
Jim, like you said, it's not worth doing because I can go fix a network for an hour and make the same. I think I'll just do this for people that I know personally... I wasn't offering to do this to make a business out of it.

BUT... there's got to be a better way to make money from reefers than openning an AW.

Servicing aquariums?

dhuynh
03-06-2006, 07:44 PM
LOL. That's even funnier Jonathan. I get too lazy to service my own tank sometimes..

Servicing aquariums?

fish fu
03-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Some one has to pay for those girls, big skimmers, and all those dead fish in there tanks. I'm looking for colectors if you want to get cold and went. I just caught a $350 fish the other day!

dhuynh
03-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Jim,

I'll go diving with you as soon as I get scuba certified! It'll be fun.

Some one has to pay for those girls, big skimmers, and all those dead fish in there tanks. I'm looking for colectors if you want to get cold and went. I just caught a $350 fish the other day!

supaboy1981
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM

I am super interested. No Joke!

DaChrisDude
07-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Danny, is this still opportunity still open? I'm very interested in learning more...

phishphood
07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
The wholesale thing? I don't think he's doing it. He's pretty well stocked for now.

dhuynh
07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah.. I dropped the idea of making money from this. When I do go up there, I'll just help sdreefers get stuff for really cheap. Since I'm pretty well stock (as Mitch mentioned), it'll be a while before I get up there again.

If there's a big enough order, I might consider taking the day off and going up.

phishphood
07-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Any chance of finding a blue carpet up there? Willing to shell out 150 for one :P

DaChrisDude
07-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Ok, thanks.