PDA

View Full Version : Algea bloom?

brncsfns5621
03-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I set up a 30g for my buddy, used live sand from one of my tanks and LR from LFS. He's running a aquafuge w/ PS and lighting is a 55/65 watt PC with a 175 watt MH. Tank was doing good for a while and now his water is green. We added a sump with a micron sock hoping it would help clear up, but hasn't. He is using PH Buffer and is right on target.

I was just curious if this is an algea bloom and part of his cycling? This never happened with any of my tanks, that's why I am asking. Can this be cleared up or does it need to run it's cycle?

Oh yeh, he is using Figi Mud in the fuge, could this be the source?

pk-sd
03-01-2006, 07:20 PM
I have Fiji mud in my fuge and no skimmer, so doubt if that is the problem. Green water is kind of odd as that is more of a freshwater issue. And then its due to too much light.

phishphood
03-01-2006, 08:02 PM
massive water change help at all?

brncsfns5621
03-01-2006, 08:19 PM
he said he did a 10% change on saturday, maybe he needs to do more. will have him do another to see.

swissfish
03-01-2006, 10:10 PM
the only time my water looked green, was because I had a thin algea film on my glass (it was really weired, it was like green window tinting on my glass). I scraped it off and the water was clear.

brncsfns5621
03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
:D, yeh, I told him to clean the glass and it wasn't that. Will do some more research and se what comes up.

brncsfns5621
03-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Update:

He has been doing water changes with scripps, the sock has cleared up the water, but it is still green. All the corals are thriving and look good, just the water has a green tint to it. i know his chromis laid some eggs, could that turn the water a different color? Any breeders out there have that happen?

Dakota
03-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Make sure his water parameters are in check. Any tank less that 6-8 months old can spawn algae IMO. Large volume water chages (I say 20%/week min), check for phosphates, run some carbon, and keep an eye on feeding vs. bioload. See if that helps in the next couple of weeks.