PDA

View Full Version : Reef Related Injuries

ninhsavestheday
02-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Reef Related Injuries

What's the worst thing that happened to you while working on your reef?

1. Got electrocuted
2. Just got a carpet and it stung me. My hand stings, is swollen, and itches.

swissfish
02-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Make it a poll

3. Touched Bristelworm and it dident feel good
4. Fell off stefp stool while cleaning tank

1/3/4 happend to me

ninhsavestheday
02-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Make it a poll

3. Touched Bristelworm and it dident feel good
4. Fell off stefp stool while cleaning tank

1/3/4 happend to me

What was the feeling from touching the worm? And number 4 sounds like it hurts! :eek:

swissfish
02-28-2006, 08:41 PM
just a sting
the fall wasen't that bad, but since i wanted my tank on eye hight i always have to use a stepstool to clean the tank.

brncsfns5621
02-28-2006, 08:48 PM
stiring sand in my FO a while back when i had a Lion Fish, got me with all five spines down to the bone. trip to emergency room, morphine didn't do anything....

Mike N
02-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Moray eel got me good, clamped onto my index finger and didn't want to let go. I pulled back quick from the pain and he came out of the tank on my finger, and onto the floor.

I had a big Lionfish get me, that really can get your attention. No hospital, just lots of hot water to counteract the venom and cold beer later.

Although not an injury, I did have a fire caused by one of my tanks.

GoTakuF1
02-28-2006, 09:10 PM
The other day, I was saying to myself "Oh, so that's what a 250W metal halide that's been running for 6 hours feels like." Then the room stunk of burned Vietnamese food for a couple minutes. Now, there's a nice patch of virgin skin growing on my elbow :)

jbvdhp
02-28-2006, 09:29 PM
damn mike n! that sucks... i think you and brncsfns take the gold
gotakuf1- you're vietnamese and in LG? but why would you put yer elbow to the lamp?

i've been electrocuted repeated times until this day by my lights. for some reason there is a current going thru the housing. that ish stings like a mother, especially when you DON'T want to move your arm out right away. bristleworms...

ninhsavestheday
02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Moray eel got me good, clamped onto my index finger and didn't want to let go. I pulled back quick from the pain and he came out of the tank on my finger, and onto the floor.

I had a big Lionfish get me, that really can get your attention. No hospital, just lots of hot water to counteract the venom and cold beer later.

Although not an injury, I did have a fire caused by one of my tanks.

you my friend got it bad. How'd you get the eel back into the tank? and how big was the fire? Oh man...

roworld
02-28-2006, 09:44 PM
One day I got the **** shocked out of me when I put my hand in my tank to move something, so just to make sure I wasn't going crazy like an idiot I did it again. But that wasn't the worst thing I did. I thought it would be really funny to have the wifey get a nice little shock, so I have her try to get something I "cant reach" in the tank---she feels nothing (I'm thinking what the hell!) so I put my hand back in the tank--shocks the **** out of me again, now shes laughing hysterically!! Turns out the heater I had in the sump was busted, she had sandals on so wifey was grounded & I'm an idiot!!:rolleyes:

OHOHJOJO
02-28-2006, 09:52 PM
You Guys Have Me Rollin. Thats Some Funny Shttt.

ninhsavestheday
02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
One day I got the **** shocked out of me when I put my hand in my tank to move something, so just to make sure I wasn't going crazy like an idiot I did it again. But that wasn't the worst thing I did. I thought it would be really funny to have the wifey get a nice little shock, so I have her try to get something I "cant reach" in the tank---she feels nothing (I'm thinking what the hell!) so I put my hand back in the tank--shocks the **** out of me again, now shes laughing hysterically!! Turns out the heater I had in the sump was busted, she had sandals on so wifey was grounded & I'm an idiot!!:rolleyes:

hahahahhaah.

GoTakuF1
02-28-2006, 11:01 PM
gotakuf1- you're vietnamese and in LG? but why would you put yer elbow to the lamp?

Yes and yes. Like a lot of things for me in this hobby, that was also unintentional. I can probably heat up a bowl of Pho with a pair of 250w lamps : )

phishphood
02-28-2006, 11:19 PM
so here I was reading all of the stuff you guys do and busting out laughing. Then I figure I need to go clean a powerhead in my tank. so I open the hood, lean into my hood (while standing on a stool) and forget that my mh are on. Lean too far my bare shoulder touches the bulb. Commence swearing followed by mad scrambling as I fall off the stool. And I swore none of that stuff would ever happen to me....

nanoreefbro
02-28-2006, 11:31 PM
I burned my forearm a few days ago on my MH.. I learned my lesson.. :rolleyes:

REEFWAVE
03-01-2006, 12:02 AM
i lifted my hood once and locked out the hinges so it would stay open and a few minutes later the lid fell due to some rusty hinges and smashed the hell out my hand. and of course i have gotten shocked a few times, not electrocuted thankfully as i would be dead in that case.
i also had a trigger take a little chunk of my arm off along time ago.

SDFISHMAN
03-01-2006, 12:16 AM
I've been shocked a few time from heaters got smashed by a mantis shrimp but the best was my buddy put some fake corals in a tank in my garage and I asked him to take them out. Will lets just say he put his hand in the wrong tank with a school of pirahna and lost a part of his finger tip..

reef
03-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Although this didn't cause me any pain or discomfort, there was plenty of swearing involved. Back in my freshwater days I had a 125 with a glass top that the cat loved to jump on despite being immediately thrown off by me. One morning I am cleaning the tank and turn my back for a minute when the cat decides to jump on top of the tank again. Without the glass top the cat does a belly flop into the tank, sinks all the way to the bottom and swims the entire length of the tank (72") jumps out the other side and immeditealy bolts at top speed out of the room. You would think that she wouldn't come within 10 feet of the tank ever again, but an hour later I found her perched back up on top of the tank. Geez..

Frag Hag
03-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Reef -

Lucky for your cat that you didn't keep piranhas in your tank!

Dakota
03-01-2006, 10:50 AM
So far, the worst I've done it cut my hands up from glass partition I was too lazy to sand, and nicks and stuff from bumping into corners and such..

MrKrispy
03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
i have gotten zapped a few times over the years. The only real "injury" was pruning my pocillopora with those metal bone shears. I clipped a frag off and the coral sliced my finger open. Of course it was in the tank so the clown fish came up to get a taste of the blood. yum!

Nigritude
03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
I, have never been injured. I am ze overlord of me tank!!

brncsfns5621
03-01-2006, 12:30 PM

You're done......... :D

kjsreef
03-01-2006, 01:40 PM
I have a good DIY one....was putting together a magnetic MH ballast and had the thing all hooked up but it wouldn't light. I went to move the ballast and touched the ignitor (metal one).....oh wow, guess that has some juice in it....after my heart restarted i decided to enclose the whole unit in a protective case.....

Dakota
03-01-2006, 02:23 PM
i have gotten zapped a few times over the years. The only real "injury" was pruning my pocillopora with those metal bone shears. I clipped a frag off and the coral sliced my finger open. Of course it was in the tank so the clown fish came up to get a taste of the blood. yum!

Yeah, once my clown tasted my blood, he's beena viscoius killer every since... he's SOOOO mean.

GoTakuF1
03-01-2006, 06:05 PM

Did you not see phishphood's post? Be ware!

phishphood
03-01-2006, 06:09 PM
yeah, she just laughed at me

Nigritude
03-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Nick was saying that I would jinx myself, but I doubt it. I dont get the urge to fiddle with my tank every five seconds, have a gazillion wires running everywhere or have my fishies hate me. So there, I have accident proofed myself. :-D

GoTakuF1
03-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I let my significant other read this thread and she busted out laughing. She actually has more reef related injuries than me. Everything from falling from a 5' step ladder feeding the fish in the 130 to slamming the canopy top on our 60 on her fingers. For better or for worst right? :)

Nigritude
03-02-2006, 08:49 PM
You let her be your fall guy huh? What a man! j/k

Did I mention somebody put garden snails in my tank!?!? Not one, not two but THREE bobbing shells in my tank! Have yet to find the culprit.

Grrrr.

Bogg
03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
I've been shocked numerous times, little infections on my hands from getting pricked from the live rock and a small fire. LOL a lil bit of salt creep on a power strip and it turned to flames which lit a small plastic bin on fire that carried over and burnt up a lil bit of the wall. This happened in the a/m, everyone was sleeping, I smelled smoke so I checked it out, there was a thick cloud of smoke in the room it was crazy, the fire was so small that I just blew it out and opened some windows then plugged in a new powerstrip. My wife called me later on in the afternoon on my cell talking about a smell I said a powerhead burnt up lol.

colindoug3
03-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Neha, the thread is about personal injuries. Though we should start another thread about things that have been put in your tank by kids, or 'friends.' Ive heard coins, pencils, beer...
My injury was pretty gory. I tried pushing a power compact bulb out of a cardboard sleeve. Well, they arent like normal output bulbs, they have that slit down the middle. A piece of cardboard goes down that slit, holding the bulb in the sleeve. I forgot, and didn't open the cardboard. When it wouldn't come out, I pushed harder. I was pushing on the bulb side, rather than the pin side. POP! My thumb went right through the glass... or did the glas go right through my thumb? Severed all layers of skin from my nail, around the tip, and a little ways down my thumb. Bloody mess all over the place.