PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions or opinions on algae

MustangBill
02-26-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a 200 gallon + reef with the overflow directly in the center of the tank, on both sides have a 96w blue compact and a 150w 10k metal hylide. My problem is on only one side of tank is an algae problem, some is hair algae the other is a "fern" type looking alge. I'm also getting green algae covering the sand on the bottom, I've been making my own water for years using tap water but it has no phosphates in it (i tested it) and mixing it a barre outside and then letting it sit with a heater and powerhead running for 2 days. I've read that some times when your lights start to get old the frequency changes and that could lead to alge growth. I'm thinking thats what my problem is. What do you guys think? I would appericiate any suggestions. I have on order right now an ro unit that makes 110 gallons per day to start making my water with but I still don't thing thats the issue.

phishphood
02-26-2006, 05:47 PM
how long have you had your bulbs?

dbrooks
02-26-2006, 06:06 PM
I'd be interested in input on the lighting question as well as my PC's are one year old (is that too old?).

Re water - why not just use Scripps...seems like a lot less hassle.

MustangBill
02-26-2006, 06:19 PM
The side in question has had the bulb for about a year, and I have replaced the other side about 4 months ago. If I remember right I think you should replace your bulbs once a year.

MustangBill
02-26-2006, 06:21 PM
As far as using scripps water I new nothing about it until I go on this site about 3 weeks ago! LOL! Right now I don't have anything to transport the water in other than my 35 gallon barrel.

Sackwack
02-26-2006, 10:31 PM
As far as using scripps water I new nothing about it until I go on this site about 3 weeks ago! LOL! Right now I don't have anything to transport the water in other than my 35 gallon barrel.

Why not:confused: Thats the perfect size, may be a little heavy but I know people who do way more SDFISHMAN can help you there