PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into curling?

CNCreefer
02-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I didn't know where to put this but because it isn't livestock or equipment and it's not reef related I put it here.
Anyone here into curling? The sport of curling has been growing in popularity in the U.S. for the last 10 years or so, and with the Olympics the interest has skyrocketed.
i have been doing a little research and found out there is a curling club in San Francisco, and there is also one on Scottsdale, Az. Anyways, I found out that a curling group is forming in San Diego and one in L.A. They have a site on yahoo but theres not much there yet. http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Curl_SanDiego/

Nigritude
02-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Swissfish is into it, but I have a feeling he prefers watching the female teams. As for myself, sweeping ice is certainly not my thing :p

lucubrator
02-26-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm going to move this to the lounge, since it's not for sale.

swissfish
02-26-2006, 07:56 AM
how do you know Nigritude? I was only curling for a little while. It is a verry interesting sport, once you get the hang of it. Allmost like golf boring to watch but interesting to play.

MrKrispy
02-26-2006, 11:03 AM
i watched every televised curling event, I think it is really cool to watch. My girlfriend however does not feel the same way. I can't even give her crap because she doesn't like ice dancing or figure skating either (typical targets of mine)

Nigritude
02-26-2006, 12:01 PM
how do you know Nigritude? I was only curling for a little while. It is a verry interesting sport, once you get the hang of it. Allmost like golf boring to watch but interesting to play.

Hey now, I like golf. :D

Where do you get the equipment anyway? They are called stones right? I wouldnt mind getting more into it. I just thought the sport was ridiculous when I first heard of it. I thought they were cleaning the ice of crap, with a weird vacuum cleaner and a broom.

swissfish
02-26-2006, 12:40 PM
I like golf too, I am really good at playing bad golf

swissfish
02-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Is there a curling hall in SD?

luistwentyone
02-26-2006, 12:52 PM
anybody into figure skating ?

swissfish
02-26-2006, 01:02 PM
anybody into figure skating ?

Sorry, you are the only one.:D

CNCreefer
02-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Is there a curling hall in SD?
Not yet. The San Diego Curling Club is still in the forming stages.
Check out this link...http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/Curl_SanDiego/

CNCreefer
02-26-2006, 03:14 PM
I was only curling for a little while. It is a verry interesting sport, once you get the hang of it
Where did you used to curl at?

Where do you get the equipment anyway? They are called stones right?
There are online stores that sell curling brushes, shoes, etc. The stones are the hardest thing to get. There is only one place in the world where they are made. The USCA has a program where they loan out the stones for 3 years and the club can buy them after that. They are expensive, something like $300 a piece and you need 16 of them for a game.

MrKrispy
02-26-2006, 03:44 PM
let's play, i am in!

swissfish
02-26-2006, 03:51 PM
I played in switzerland, in Arlesheim by Basel to be exact.
We used loaner equipment and fortunantely i diden't have to buy stuff.

CNCreefer
02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
let's play, i am in!
Go sign up at that link I posted above. The more, the better!

swissfish
02-26-2006, 06:57 PM
do you realize that the curling ice is not just ice prepared by a Zamboni with a house (the bulls eye cyrcles) painted on it. Curling ice has little bubbles on top of it, wich lets the stones turn corners, makes sweeping effective and makes it possible for the plyers to walk without whiping out. ( i am really straining my memmory here, but that is what i seem to remember)

CNCreefer
02-26-2006, 07:41 PM
Yep, it's called pebbling. It is applied by spraying a mist onto the ice and it freezes instantly. I think it's to make the rock slide farther(less resistance). The sweeping melts the ice and you can kind of control the amount of curl as the rock slides.

MrKrispy
02-26-2006, 07:45 PM
thanks to the power of the DVR I got to learn all the curling stuff on MSNBC and such. I thought it was cool before that, when I thought it was a bunch of people drinking beers tossing 50lb stones around and drunkenly sweeping up in front of the stone instead of behind it. Will we need to form a seperate beer league?

swissfish
02-26-2006, 08:03 PM
thanks to the power of the DVR I got to learn all the curling stuff on MSNBC and such. I thought it was cool before that, when I thought it was a bunch of people drinking beers tossing 50lb stones around and drunkenly sweeping up in front of the stone instead of behind it. Will we need to form a seperate beer league?

That's why i never really got all into curling back home. I diden't want to spend the big bucks for all the drinks and dinners after the matches, it was going to be more than the club dues.

luistwentyone
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
what do you know, they had a streaker during the curling match between the U.S. and Britain. No charges were pressed against the man because being the curling event there were NO WITNESSES.............

The streaker ran out onto the ice and started dancing naked. He was immediately tackled by three of the male figure skaters.

Phischy
02-27-2006, 11:04 AM
If it's like golf and bowling, can you drink beer while playing? I'd be all over that, some nice micro's while sliding a big fat granit stone across a slab of ice. hell, I'm from Alaska, I bet it's in my nature somewhere.

CNCreefer
02-27-2006, 03:41 PM
what do you know, they had a streaker during the curling match between the U.S. and Britain. No charges were pressed against the man because being the curling event there were NO WITNESSES
Man, that's OLD news. I'll bet you heard that on the radio. Like 3 days ago.

If it's like golf and bowling, can you drink beer while playing?
the socializing comes after the game is over. What if someone doesn't partake in alcoholic beverages? I cannot stand alcohol.

Phischy
02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
When you bowl or golf you don't have to consume alcohol. It's optional. You can be a serious golfer/bowler or you can enjoy it for it being a fun game. If you have hopes to make it to the olympics in curling, you'd probably be better off moving to Minnesota to play, I mean, we're in So Cal, it's just a game.

MrKrispy
02-27-2006, 04:27 PM
i just want to throw really heavy things at other things, skate around on the ice, and then have beers afterwards. ;)

Strategy, whats that?

CNCreefer
02-27-2006, 06:29 PM
If you have hopes to make it to the olympics in curling, you'd probably be better off moving to Minnesota to play, I mean, we're in So Cal, it's just a game.
Don't know about going to the Olympics, but hey, Jamaica has a bobsled team :)

luistwentyone
02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
"Man, that's OLD news. I'll bet you heard that on the radio. Like 3 days ago"

yup. lol, you must've wasted your time watching the winter Olympics ?

CNCreefer
04-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Just to let you all know, we are starting a curling club in S.D. We are going to have an open house at the Escondido Iceoplex May 20, 7:00 to 10:00 PM. Anyone interested in curling who wants to try it out, this is your chance.

We are on for a Curling Open House at the Escondido IceOplex on
Saturday, May 20th 7 p.m. - 10 p.m. (on ice prep at 6 p.m.)

The IceOplex will be donating ice time for this date and 2 or 3 other
times this summer. Eventually they will also paint in the markings.

We need to hold another meeting to discuss. Any ideas on where to hold
meeting? I would recommend the week of April 24th.

We are on the way.