PDA

View Full Version : what algea is right for me?

xtrmist
02-25-2006, 12:09 AM
I got a refigium, YEA!!! so let me here yalls opinion on what tpye of algea i should throw in there. I keep hereing some one say that this one is better than that one?

phishphood
02-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Never heard that one is especially better than another. Most people put some chaeto in their fuges. Some have calupera (spelling?). Basically any macro(big) algae works as the purpose of fuges is nutrient export. As long as some algae in there is growing and you harvest it (which also takes out nutrients), then the fuge is doing its job.

lucubrator
02-25-2006, 12:32 AM
The downside to caulerpa is that under cetain conditions it can "go sexual" which seems to be a bad thing for the rest of your tank. Caulerpa is also illegal in San Diego because it can survive in our coastal waters. There's a poster up about the stuff at OG, but I guess that's a bit far from O'Side.

Dakota
02-25-2006, 11:15 AM
cheato. .. grows fast, stays nice and compact, and is easy to prune. Caulerpa goes fast, all over, and it annoying to prune (IMO). I have some in my display that I can't keep under control....... so it's now a part of my reef :-D

xtrmist
02-25-2006, 12:12 PM
soo does any one have any cheato there gettin gready to prune?